PDA

View Full Version : Out of Motionbuilder and back into Lightwave!!

ianay
09-01-2010, 01:26 PM
I built a nice little routine of 4 seperate FBXs files moulded together using the Story window in Motionbuilder 2010..
I would transport it back to Lightwave 9.6 and could then edit it etc until my heart was content.
I decided to change the main character in the animation so I again, imported BVH files, got them changed to FBXs, got them together in story window in motionbuilder...
All was looking well in Motionbuilder with 1500 frames of what I wanted..
So...
I saved as an FBX, back in Lightwave, loaded up the charcter then..
Load items from scene and load the FBX ive just created and tick motion only envelopes..
the result?
NOTHING!!
The strange thing is, that it worked in lightwave at the beginning even after I had changed characters, but now its just stopped working and ive no idea why..
Even though its still running as i want it in Motionbuilder!!!
I WANT IT IN LIGHTWAVE THOUGH!!!
The au****sk Forums are a total waste of time, with only about 3 users, so im hoping someone here can help me out

ianay
09-01-2010, 01:49 PM
I can import and export individual FBX files into my models no problems..
Its ONLY when i use story window in motionbuilder to mix them up that im getting issues

RebelHill
09-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Well, Ive been using the native LW system recently (Valkyrie)... and it works great. The issues with merge motion envelopes is that it looks not jsut at the nsame of items, but also at the hierarchy.

So if In layout you have "character", which is the parent of the bones, but when you import (or open rather) and fbx in LW, other items can be put into the hierarchy (bone standin, fbx co-ord convert, etc)... which alter the EXACT hierarchy names.

So rename things so as the hierarchies amtch, and it all works perfectly... the way in which you've applied motions in MB is of no consequence.

Ill have a lil set of tuts about MB exchange with LW out at some point in next few days, just keep your eyes open round here, and you'll catch em.

ianay
09-02-2010, 06:03 AM
Well, Ive been using the native LW system recently (Valkyrie)

thanks for that, but...

What is Valkyrie?
Is this a MB alternative?
Does it come with LW? cos I cant find it in my plugins folder

RebelHill
09-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Well... it'll be an aside to rhiggit pro, though pro is gonna contain automateed setup with custom deform setup for FBX exchange.

As for Valkyrie... its not a plugin you need to find... its jsut there. When you open a scene, and choose an fbx or collada file rather than lws, or when you use the native LW exporter to either of these formats... THATS the valkyrie plugin doing the import export.

The Wizzard
05-23-2014, 11:21 AM
I finally did a tutorial on: "Lightwave to MotionBuilder and Back again "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eju1edD7k0A

I hope it helps some of you :)

RudySchneider
05-23-2014, 11:59 AM
I finally did a tutorial on: "Lightwave to MotionBuilder and Back again "

Oi! In how many threads do you feel it's necessary to post the same "get the word out" message without it being considered SPAM?

It seems you may be over-doing the Coffee, M&Ms, and Red Bull in your tagline a bit much!

The Wizzard
05-25-2014, 04:43 PM
Oi! In how many threads do you feel it's necessary to post the same "get the word out" message without it being considered SPAM?

It seems you may be over-doing the Coffee, M&Ms, and Red Bull in your tagline a bit much!

Opps, Sorry there... Just wanted to make sure I posted in as many threads as I though people might find it helpful.

I've uploaded the next tutorial...
"Lightwave to MotionBuilder to ENDORPHIN and Back again"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSkDM-l38hM

Enjoy ;)

Eagle66
05-26-2014, 10:26 AM
Hey, thanks for the great tutorials.

Can you replace the $4K MotionBuilder with something else? I don't understand what is exactly the job of MB in this workflow?

The Wizzard
02-05-2016, 04:31 PM
I hope this helps a few people... I have a new tutorial up: Lightwave to MotionBuilder & Back Again 2 - Multiple Characters!

http://3ative.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/new-tutorial-lightwave-to-motionbuilder.html