PDA

View Full Version : Extremely urgent help (please)

Pavlov
09-01-2010, 10:04 AM
hi all,
i know i'm flooding but i've probably the stranges issue in 20 years of Lightwaving, a lot of work to do and no solution at hand.
If you are on Hardcore, i posted here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111968
Otherwise question is simple: something Lw related messed up my system in depth (win 7 PRO 64 bit).
I removed everything Lw related and installed onlt 9.6 32 bit from scratch, fresh CFG and all. disabled every security device (Antivirus, firewall and so).
Now, firing Modeler or layout WONT start Hub. If i start Hub manually, it wont see Modeler or Layout, anyway. Also, i reinstalled LWcad (which worked OK up to some days ago) and its rotate tool works the oposite way (i drag left and it rotates right), and btw symmetry is disabled.
I *really* have no idea of where i may look at to solve, i'm in production and i'd like to solve this in a short time, formatting system is out of reach now and cant use other machines since all other seats in office are used but other guys.

thanks in advance,
Paolo

RebelHill
09-01-2010, 10:08 AM
You've probs got a hang up left somewhere in your registry... Cleaning that out of all LW references will probs help things.

Jockomo
09-01-2010, 10:14 AM
The hub uses tcp/ip for communication between products.
Make sure you have allowed it to work in your firewall by adding exceptions for lightwav (dunno why it's spelled wrong in there) hub and modeler.

zarti
09-01-2010, 10:23 AM
your prob might be win 7 ... i've heard strange things with it .

anyway , if you need to work !immediately! ; you should move on another pc or setup an alternative win-os ( xp ) on the same hardware . do not loose your time .

hope you find a solution ...

Myagi
09-01-2010, 11:46 AM
could it perhaps be the windows firewall blocking the hub?

(you mentioned you disabled firewall, just making sure you meant the windows one and not some third party firewall)

Pavlov
09-01-2010, 12:37 PM
hi all,
i partially solved the thing jumping back to a restore point and cleaning some stuff. It works but HUB still doesnt start alone; i must fire it manually, then it allows communication. Something (i fogbugged it) broke hub firing process, i can live with it tough.
Thanks for the attention anyway, and please let me know if someone has same issue to beter understand what could cause it.

Paolo

Pavlov
09-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Myagi - nope, i disabled every firewall, service and whatever security related. I also uninstalled Kaspersky to be sure it wasnt that one. Definitely not firewall related.
One strange thing i notice is this: if i fire Layout, for a pair of seconds while it loads i can see "Modeler" button on top right corner, but it disappears as soon as the program is ready to be used.

Paolo

zapper1998
09-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Thats why I stuck to Win XP Pro 64bit..

...... Tried the Win 7 Beta.. was a nightmare from Elm Street ..

...... Windows 7 was a headache....

I will wait till next year Windows 8 comes out..

Salv8or
09-01-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm not quite sure, I think I have had the same problem a while ago. Dont know if its the same solution.
I started the Hub, then both layout and modeler quit them and last exited the hub. I think it wrights down the config as it should if you do it that way.. But as I said, you might have a different problem. Its woth a shot anyways. Best of luck to you.

Silkrooster
09-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm not quite sure, I think I have had the same problem a while ago. Dont know if its the same solution.
I started the Hub, then both layout and modeler quit them and last exited the hub. I think it wrights down the config as it should if you do it that way.. But as I said, you might have a different problem. Its woth a shot anyways. Best of luck to you.

You are correct Hub does not know how to execute modeler or layout until they have both been run once. But I am not sure if that is Lav's problem. I am thinking its a permission issue. I have heards stories and stories about permissions being the culprit. Apparently you need to change the permission on any program you want to run on its own.
Thing is Lav mentions that communication is working when he starts layout, modeler and then hub himself. So its not a communication or firewall issue. Services and permissions are all thats left and yeah the registry but lightwave hardly uses it. So out of the three I am leaning towards permissions.

Pavlov
09-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Usually i start hub then both apps. When i close apps, hub is latest.
Anyway, now that i think, i use Modeler 32 bit (too many plugins missing in 64bit) and Layout 64 bit (need it for large scene management). Before this issue whichever app i started, hub started too and worked correctly.
Maybe starting Mod 32 and Lay 32 can unlock the thing, tomorrow i'll try. Thanks for the hint,

Paolo

LW_Will
09-08-2010, 05:02 AM
Also, know that the security for Win7 has been improved. (I know, doesn't seem improved, but it really actually is... its a necessary thing, take your medicine. <S!>)

Anywho... you can install things and have them not work because they are waiting to be authorized. Check your status that you are authorized to authorize.

IMHO, you do not need ANY other firewalls or antivirus other than the ones provided by M$.

Also, the behavior you described, not loading the hub, seems very similar to a process waiting for authorization.

Win7 is a better OS than its predecessors, the "best windows yet"! It still blows, but it blows better. Learn the way it works, rather than trying to get it to work like it used to. It seems to work the proper way now.

Pavlov
09-08-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm happy with win7, i think the issue is somewhere else, maybe a conflict not entirely due to seven.
Anyway Hub is fully authorized in window's firewall, and this firewall anyway is off. It can be useful to remember that hub stopped working (or better, modeler and Layout stopped running hub at start) just after i installed LWHC.

paolo