PDA

View Full Version : Need help, Quadro driver...!

papou
09-18-2003, 04:33 PM
Hi, sorry to post that here too but i really need a fast reply...

Hi, i have lot of troubble with my Pny Quadro4 750 card.
When i use the driver send with the card, Modeler freeze everytime...
So i decided to use the Newtek cerfified 28.41 driver...looks ok for most. But i just realized that if i use a texture bigger than 70Mo, and if my display is OpenGl texture enabled.
LW crash.
I need to use a big map tomorrow. in fact i need to use it now.
So What kind of driver ?

Please Nt, i need a fast help.

2 others questions, excuse my ignorance:

-If i use a 10Mo jpg texture, why is it so heavy in my Layout? i mean the memory in something like 100Mo, in the image editor.
It's a big Black&White map...

-Will lw8 use nvidia Opengl improvement?

Thanks--

js33
09-18-2003, 05:55 PM
Well a 10 meg Jpeg is no doubt a huge file. You're seeing the uncompressed size of 100 meg. Do you really need a black and white file that big? What is it for? If you only need an 8 bit Black and white image use IFF instead (much smaller file) any other format will have to be 24bit.

Don't know about the Quadro so can't help with the driver issue.

Cheers,
JS

papou
09-18-2003, 06:13 PM
thanks for the iff info!
ye, u right, the b&w file could maybe be smaller. it was a extremely detailled displacement map. Can use smaller one and add procedurals...

hmm,...driver..driver... :(

Psyhke
09-19-2003, 12:51 AM
Hi,

I also have a PNY Quadro 750... I used the drivers that came with the card, when I first installed it. It had some problems. The 'Newtek certified' drivers were older than the drivers that came with the card. so I used the latest (or nearly so, if I recall) drivers from nVidia, and that worked well. So, why not try some more recent drivers from nVidia's website?

And, how much RAM do you have?

papou
09-19-2003, 02:09 AM
thank you, i gonna try a recent one.
ill be happy if you post the version number.
Thnx!

papou
09-19-2003, 06:01 AM
no lucky,
my desesperate post in Lw-PC...

3DEagle
09-19-2003, 06:09 AM
Hi,

Just noted the other day that my LW also crashes when trying to use really big textures. And yes, I have a PNY card also (980XGL). I am not at home right now so I cant tell you my exact driver version but am pretty sure it is 44.xx something....(the latest standard driver that was availabe at the Nvidia site in July).

...Not sure that this is a card/driver issue? Might be a good thing to ask other LW users if they have the same problem when using ATI cards

However, personally I am not very upset...do not really need such big textures anyway.

How to repeat:
1.) Create a big sphere
2.) Flip it
3.) Try to texture it with a jpg with size +8 MB...or a TIFF with around 100 MB
4.) Boom

Enjoy Sunshine in Life

papou
09-19-2003, 06:14 AM
et voila...that's my prob.

CB_3D
09-21-2003, 07:40 AM
All my black&white maps are indexed color Bmp...never had that kind of trouble.

papou
09-21-2003, 07:48 AM
so you can texture with a big bmp map (~>100Mb) with no display crash?

pauland
09-21-2003, 08:36 AM
I've no real experience of the large textures you are using, but I remember reading somewhere that LW will create an uncompressed copy of your jpg for using the texture. Try converting it to a tga and see if that helps. Does the texture really *need* to be so big?

Paul

papou
09-21-2003, 10:20 AM
same problem with tga files...
it was more easy to use the big map. i have a lot of memory for that...i can process it.
sure, i can make more texture size and fade them...or render different shot and comp later.
But i prefer to know before.
I prefer to read somewhere in the manual that LW have problem to show big texture..so i can manage my work. so i don't lost a lot of time to try different driver, so my boss don't see Lw crashing when i am applying texture...
I don't like that kind of surprise.

CB_3D
09-21-2003, 11:26 AM
To be honest, i can´t remember using onbe THAT big. Anyway, does it crash ALWAYS or only in Texture display? I´ve had some crashes with big textures when i turned on the 1024x1024 Open GL Texture display. When i slowly cranked up the res from 64 to 1024 it worked.

BTW, the program crashing with an impatient boss/client/whoever at your side is indeed very annoying. Hopefully NT improves LWs Open GL handling, because some of the issues are downright ridiculous. At least they should stay FULLY compatible with ATI and Nvidia cards.

papou
09-21-2003, 11:49 AM
it crash only when Opengl texture is enabled. in 64x64 it crash too...

novadesigns
09-21-2003, 03:12 PM
I don't think this is specific to your card or drivers. I have a Quadro4 900XGL at work and a GF FX5600/256 at home and I pretty much have the same issues. I have pretty consistent crashing problems with OpenGL textures enabled in Layout when my total texture memory requirement is over about 200MB. It doesn't have to necessarily be just one texture either. I get the same thing with many small textures. Just somehow when the total RAM requirement gets in the 200MB range.

But I have found that I really don't need to see the textures in OpenGL in layout so I usually have that turned off.

I don't know if that's an option for you or not. Just passing on the info.

Hervé
09-22-2003, 12:45 AM
Aaaaah Papou, que de problemes...

I have a dual Boxx system with that card (Nvidia Quadro 750 XGL) and I have this issue just when I use very large textures (for skies) like 10,000 x 3,000 pixels....

so to see where the sky is oriented.... what a drag....

First solution, use a picture dummy stuff, like a copy of your H_rez texture , but very small, dont forget to replace it with the lage one when rendering...

second turnaround...
In scene editor panel, first put all your objects textures to solid shade, in the camera view (or all the views you have on screen, put it on Texture shaded, then back in the scene editor, put your large textured object to shaded texture, no crash.... at least here with the 2.8.4.1 driver....

see you later aligator....
Hervé

Hervé
09-22-2003, 12:47 AM
in fact I was more concerned about the poor memoty managment of lw regarding images...

papou
09-22-2003, 08:34 AM
oui, un problem de plus....

Thank you for responding,
So it's a Lw problem.
I hope Nt will etc,etc,etc...
thanks