PDA

View Full Version : Maya 2011 gets a spin edge tool

Snosrap
08-30-2010, 08:14 AM
with a return on investment of around $60 per week. AWSOME! :D

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/maya_2011_roi_study.pdf

I wonder if NT spends money as foolishly as Autodesk on stupid studies like this.

Red_Oddity
08-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Maya 2011 does already have a spin tool, probably introduced in Hotfix 2.

I think ADSK needs these kind of market researches for their investors? It is a multi billion dollar company after all, so when the people who own the company don't know and care Jack Sh!t about what the programs do or are, then all they need is a paper that tells them how to get the largest ROI on the smallest possible investment.

But what do i know, i'm one those poor saps that keeps filling their pockets, because, well, there's really no alternative for the work we do (and i know, really stupid to mention that on a Lightwave forum, but this is by no means meant as bait for a flame thread)

Snosrap
08-30-2010, 02:59 PM
I think ADSK needs these kind of market researches for their investors? It is a multi billion dollar company after all, so when the people who own the company don't know and care Jack Sh!t about what the programs do or are, then all they need is a paper that tells them how to get the largest ROI on the smallest possible investment.

Well it came to me via e-mail as a sales pitch to this site http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=15367897&siteID=123112 with the suggestion that it would improve our pipeline and that there would be substantial cost savings with implementing 2011 in that pipeline. Nothing in the way of shareholder BS that I saw. I found it humorous that they applied a cost savings to a new tool they've added that LW has had forever.

UnCommonGrafx
08-30-2010, 03:28 PM
As a thought:
I firmly believe we want software like they have but with our interface.

We are stakeholders/stockholders in this particular situation, without the middleman - of sorts. Studios have board room privileges, to continue the analogy.
So, we get to get Core, and Matt to design the UI, and they get Spin Edge. Why begrudge them their goodness?

:)

Andyjaggy
08-30-2010, 04:03 PM
That PDF was the funniest thing I have read all day. What a load of marketing B.S.

They forgot the section where they just switch programs and increase their cost to productivity ratio 350%.

Red_Oddity
08-31-2010, 04:14 AM
Well it came to me via e-mail as a sales pitch to this site http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=15367897&siteID=123112 with the suggestion that it would improve our pipeline and that there would be substantial cost savings with implementing 2011 in that pipeline. Nothing in the way of shareholder BS that I saw. I found it humorous that they applied a cost savings to a new tool they've added that LW has had forever.

My bad, must have misread.

I'm all for extra tools, though most of us who do modeling in Maya already have a vast tool set of similar tools (MEL is Maya's saving grace for those situations, it has been for the last 10 years)

Also, i find 2011 doesn't add that much useful stuff besides a QT rewrite, all the pet peeves and crappy bugs are still in there (still no float color picker, still no passes that work decently, etc.), or at least for my part of the pipeline i should add.
Still, it is still cheaper to have a Maya subscription rather than waiting for a proper update cycle and then having to pay full upgrade price again.

Also, ADSK mail always goes direct to the bin, we already own plenty of ADSK licenses, so i usually don't read the marketing spin emails we get, they tend to get me worked up :)

Hieron
08-31-2010, 07:05 PM
haha priceless..

Amazing how tool usage in seconds is measured up till 2 decimals, and then # of uses is "what the heck, who cares" 50.00 :P lol

Also, isn't going from 17.99 to 3.03 seconds (insane accuracy :)) a 593%! productivity increase instead of merely 83.18% ? :)

Chris S. (Fez)
08-31-2010, 10:25 PM
WTF. Marketing never be mildly insulting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emvySA1-3t8

erikals
09-01-2010, 01:59 AM
...and they still haven't fixed the backface culling... :P :P

Red_Oddity
09-01-2010, 02:45 AM
haha priceless..

Amazing how tool usage in seconds is measured up till 2 decimals, and then # of uses is "what the heck, who cares" 50.00 :P lol

Also, isn't going from 17.99 to 3.03 seconds (insane accuracy :)) a 593%! productivity increase instead of merely 83.18% ? :)

Maybe if all you did all day was spinning edges, but i doubt many people have a 3d job like that :)

safetyman
09-01-2010, 07:11 AM
Sorry if this is a little off topic, but it does have to do with productivity -- I've been using the PLE version of Maya for a while now and I'll say this: while there are quite a few tools that Maya has that I wish LW had, I'm still never going to quit using LW -- you'll have to pry it from my dead fingers. Why do they have to make everything so complicated? Isn't software supposed to be easier to use the more advanced it gets?

That being said, I wish LW had: insert edge loop (great tool, very handy), the brush tools (great for not only sculpting the geometry, but also for selecting points, polys, etc), a transform widget (I know we're getting that in Core hopefully), and the ability to delete an edge (I looked for 20min in the help file and online trying to find out how to merge 2 polygons, when all you have to do is click on an edge and hit delete!). Oh, and there is nothing better than being able to "paint" geometry directly on another object.

RebelHill
09-01-2010, 07:22 AM
camera sequencer... an "original" feature for maya2011...

of course we had this in LW what... 8 yrs ago??

Lamont
09-01-2010, 08:16 AM
That being said, I wish LW had: insert edge loop (great tool, very handy)Bandsaw works well, just not interactive like Maya... that would make it sweet.

and the ability to delete an edge (I looked for 20min in the help file and online trying to find out how to merge 2 polygons, when all you have to do is click on an edge and hit delete!).There's also the Remove option under the detail tab. It eluded me too, but it also deletes the points.

Oh, and there is nothing better than being able to "paint" geometry directly on another object.Yes, that saved my butt a couple times.

Red_Oddity
09-01-2010, 08:49 AM
That being said, I wish LW had: insert edge loop (great tool, very handy), the brush tools (great for not only sculpting the geometry, but also for selecting points, polys, etc), a transform widget (I know we're getting that in Core hopefully), and the ability to delete an edge (I looked for 20min in the help file and online trying to find out how to merge 2 polygons, when all you have to do is click on an edge and hit delete!). Oh, and there is nothing better than being able to "paint" geometry directly on another object.

LW has an even nicer consolidated version for working with edge loops

http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/SwiftEdgeLoop

Can't live without it anymore, gotta thank Przemyslaw Gruchala aka Sensei for releasing that for free.

Andyjaggy
09-01-2010, 10:28 AM
swift edge loop is amazing. That tool alone increased my productivity in Modeler about 300%.