PDA

View Full Version : Edge Shaders - DP Kit Edge and EdgeFX by HD

Hieron
08-29-2010, 10:03 AM
We have been using EdgeFX by Happy Digital for a while and while it is a nice shader, it repeatedly gave us strong slowdowns on the GI calculations but more important: often it crashed during that as well. As if the GI was cramming alot of samples into those areas etc. A workaround here is to remove the plugin from LW for a sec, cache GI (fast, no crash) and then send to farm or direct render (reapplying plugin to Layout).

Mailed HD but sadly no response. Took me days to figure out EdgeFX was crashing our huge scene.

So we moved to DP Kit Edge which works awesome, except:
It needs processing time, and for our very big scenes this may take 2.5 minutes (single threaded). When you use Layout, no biggie, since it caches it so the next frame is fast. But LWSN on the other hand seems to process every single frame again.. which is a bit of a bummer.

Anyone have other good suggestions or found a solution? Or perhaps Denis can maybe tune it a bit? Pretty please? :)

dpont
08-29-2010, 11:56 AM
...When you use Layout, no biggie, since it caches it so the next frame is fast. But LWSN on the other hand seems to process every single frame again..

There's no difference between Layout and LWSN
here with DPKit Edge node, preprocess is just done
at the start frame for each computer node.
(until you don't check the "After Deformation")

Denis.

Edit: ..grammar

Sensei
08-29-2010, 01:06 PM
But LWSN on the other hand seems to process every single frame again.. which is a bit of a bummer.

Sounds like your render controller is reloading scene each frame?

Hieron
08-30-2010, 03:26 AM
Ah.. now that is odd.. What was happening is that the XP nodes do not preprocess at all? All frames are equal... yet somewhat slower than lwsn.

After that I included the Win7 and Vista workstation into the renderfarm but oddly they do preprocess the first frame and then the next frame is faster by the expected amount. For the XP nodes, all are fast from frame 1 and their speed compares to the win7 speed after preprocessing. lwsn is on a whole about 10% slower for me on this scene, and in the exact same range as the preprocessing.. seeing only the XP nodes I assumed preprocessing was done every frame... but from the Win7/Vista workstations results it can't be.

The end result is a stable edge and the solutions by both XP and Win7 is the same.. now that is odd.. (make sense to you?) But apart from the 10% difference between lwsn and F9 (which could come from anything), there doesn't seem to be slowdown due to the DP edge.. Sorry Denis! And awesome shader that helped us alot... thanks a ton!