PDA

View Full Version : ATI FirePro 8800 working with LW 9.x / LW 10 beta?

madno
08-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Does anybody have an ATI FirePro 8800?
If yes, does it work with LW 9.x and LW HC 10?
My older ATI 8700 does not work stable (even with the latest driver).
So I either need to upgrade to the 8800 or switch to Nvidia.

Elmar Moelzer
08-28-2010, 05:54 AM
Yeah, that is the sad thing with Ati graphics cards. Their hardware may be good, but their OpenGL drivers just never get there. By the time they are usable, if ever, they are outdated.

danielkaiser
08-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Nvidia.

Soth
09-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Yap, you can get good deal for money from ATI but you most probably finish having issues with Layout/Modeler, this is very sad indeed. I was using ATI FireGL and Modeler was crashing as it was on Radeon (not too often but it was much less stable than Quadro or even GeForce).

You might find this link very helpful: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/quadrofx-firepro_21.html#sect1 I have linked benchmark page only, but read the whole article - very informative.

madno
09-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the link.
What I find interesting is that in all those tests the ati 8700 runs through a "LW interactive" test (whatever that is). And the testers never say they got a hang or crash. I on my side tried with a lot of drivers (even the latest) and can bring Modeler to a hang after a few minutes (by the way the gaming ATI I am using now temporarily runs stable).

So I think I need to switch to Nvidia.
Anybody using the new Quadro 4000?

Elmar Moelzer
09-02-2010, 03:11 AM
I would just use one of the Nvidia consumer cards. We have always had good results with them. You can get a 2GB GTX460 for 250 USD. No need to buy an expensive Quadro, unless you need the extra memory. Plenty good for LW. If you want to spend the extra money for a quadro, I would suggest one of the 5000 series. At least they are based on the new Fermi architecture. The 4000 series is still based on the old architecture.

madno
09-02-2010, 09:42 AM
I also begin to think, why a prof. card. The ATI 5830 cosumer card works fine at the moment. The Quadro 4000 comes for around 850 Euro here in Germany (it's the entry level Fermi based Quadro / I had to learn that an Quadro FX 4000 is based on the previous graphics chip generation, the Quadro 4000 is based on the new Fermi chip / so Nvidia want's you to understand that skipping the FX in the name means it is a complete different generation of graphics card -- and I thought the keyboard shortcuts of LW are a miracle :-)))
Anyway, thanks for the input ;-)

steamdigital
11-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Ever since I installed this card I've had constant Modeler crashes (even with just rotating a few hundred polys!), and a handful of pesky Layout crashes. I absolutely DO NOT recommend this card for Lightwave, nor will I use any ATI cards because of this experience.

I pulled out my old Nvidia 8800 Ultra and things are smooth as silk.

Newtek techs please take note - the ATI FirePro V8800 is NOT a stable card to use with Lightwave. This should be posted somewhere!

rsfd
11-10-2010, 04:42 AM
…Newtek techs please take note - the ATI FirePro V8800 is NOT a stable card to use with Lightwave. This should be posted somewhere!

would be nice, if NT would give clear statements about what Graphics cards were tested and approved for the use of LW by their Development and Quality Department, both on PC and Mac.

Soth
11-10-2010, 04:47 AM
You can download certified (by Newtek) drivers for Quadro from NVidia webpage.

rsfd
11-10-2010, 07:44 AM
ahh, ok - didn't know that.
But nevertheless, it's only Quadro and only Windows.