PDA

View Full Version : Which way to the front? +Z or -Z?

Tom Wood
09-18-2003, 02:43 PM
I really did try to figure this out from the manuals/tutorials because it seems so basic, but I can't get it.

The LW manual uses a cow facing the +Z direction (away from the user/in to the screen) for much of the text, and cautions that all objects should be modeled facing that way. But just about every other resource, including Inside Lightwave and the online LW Help graphics, show objects being modeled facing -Z, toward the user/out of the screen. And, the text tool is oriented toward the -Z direction, and the default Layout setup seems to assume that the object will be facing -Z since the camerra and light are pointed at +Z.

Am I missing the "turn everything around" button? :p

Modeling with the object facing me on -Z feels 'right' but I can't help wondering what that warning is about. I'm about to make a second run-thru on modeling and animating some basic characters and I want to fix some of the things I skipped over the first time, this was one of them. I want to be sure I'm not setting up a reversal in left/right down the line in animation.

Thanks,

Tom

jb_gfx
09-18-2003, 10:33 PM
Yes it's better to have your character modeled facing +Z so you don't have problem when rigging them with bones. That's why some peoples always orients their models facing +Z (by habit). And since it only valuable for characters other objects are generally modeled facing -Z.

Does that sound stupid? Yes it is so don't worry it's not just you ;)

Originally posted by Tom Wood
Am I missing the "turn everything around" button? :p

I have a made a script that replace the current "Clear Scene" function by one with a "turn everything around" option. :)

You can download it here (http://www.geocities.com/jb_gfx/) (ClearScene ++)

Tom Wood
09-23-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by jb_gfx
Yes it's better to have your character modeled facing +Z so you don't have problem when rigging them with bones. That's why some peoples always orients their models facing +Z (by habit). And since it only valuable for characters other objects are generally modeled facing -Z.

Okay, but when in Layout, is it better to leave the object containing bones facing +Z and delete the default camera and light, or rotate the object to face the default camera at -Z? With a scene containing a mixture of objects with and without bones, this seems like it could get very confusing.

TW