PDA

View Full Version : Stormy Ocean

SonicN2O
08-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Could somebody tell me how to make a stormy ocean in lightwave?
(Mist, Water, waves, foam and all)

Hopper
08-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Sure thing... here ya go. First link is the one you're looking for

LightWave Ocean Scene (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=lightwave+ocean+scene)

Enjoy.

prometheus
08-28-2010, 09:58 AM
more directly

http://www.simplylightwave.com/movie_pages/tutorial.mhtml?tut_id=3

or use some specially designed plugin tools ..all free..check newsletter about hot ocean, check cagemans hot ocean tutorials..

download hot ocean here..
http://code.google.com/p/hotocean4lw/downloads/list

Michael

shrox
08-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Sure thing... here ya go. First link is the one you're looking for

LightWave Ocean Scene (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=lightwave+ocean+scene)

Enjoy.

That was funny!

CharlieL
08-28-2010, 04:47 PM
In the book Lightwave v9 Texturing by Angel Nieves ISBN-13: 978-1-59822-029-2 from Wordware
there is a chapter on Natural Surfaces. On many pages it goes through all details about surfacing an ocean with Nodes.

And as said, Cagemans downloadable tutorials are great for animated seascapes.

wesleycorgi
08-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Here's the whirlpool from Siggraph: http://tv.newtek.com/player.php?recordID=61

SonicN2O
09-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Could people stop giving me links please? I just want a step by step tutorial in a .txt file or something.

Hopper
09-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Could people stop giving me links please? I just want a step by step tutorial in a .txt file or something.
Sure thing... here ya go.

Text files (http://lmgtfy.com?q=save+web+page+as+text)

I didn't realize this was your personal help request thread. Try being a little bit less obnoxious and a little bit more grateful that people are willing to step up and help at all. You'll get a lot more back that way.

If not... then I can tell you now, you will get 0% help from this forum.

oliversimonnet
09-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Sure thing... here ya go.

haha thats funny

I didn't realize this was your personal help request thread. Try being a little bit less obnoxious and a little bit more grateful that people are willing to step up and help at all. You'll get a lot more back that way.

but ye in all serioucenus thats very true :) be gratefull
i dont think any one will give you a step by step on here (or anyware), when its alot of work to do an ocean scene like the one from the simplylightwave website, and the tutorial from that website is from wear i learnt how to do it, and i recomend it.

Netvudu
09-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Ok. Step by step.

1. Go to the web sites linked by your fellow LWers that are sincerely trying to help you.
2. Follow the tutorial
3. Learn

prometheus
09-05-2010, 05:09 AM
well duh..didnt realize were making life harder for you when giving you links to tools and tutorials..very strange.

Just simply follow the video tutorial from simply lightwave, excelent tutorial what the heck is wrong with that?
and yeah be careful,no one might not bother to help you at all.

Michael

SonicN2O
09-06-2010, 07:38 AM
OK. sorry. It's just that I don't like getting links to other places and then finding out I have to sign up or pay- I wasn't trying to be rude.

SonicN2O
09-06-2010, 07:49 AM
I was a bit upset that day. that's all. sorry.

SonicN2O
09-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Hey- I've got a file here, I'm willing to trade for a completed Stormy ocean. It's a spaceship model I made for my little brother. (he got jealous I was making spaceships on lightwave, so He asked me to make one for him.) It's crudely put together, but textured very well. It could make a pretty good spaceship with some rigging and whatnot.

bazsa73
09-06-2010, 10:23 AM
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.CFM?ID=2562

Paul24
09-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi guys,

Do you know if the plugin works on Windows Seven 64?

Cageman
09-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Hi guys,

HOT works in both LW x32 and x64 under Windows 7 x64.

Paul24
09-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks a lot Cageman, that's great.

SonicN2O
09-06-2010, 05:41 PM
:spam:Alright, This is a long and angry message that's probably not helping my LW popularity, but at least hear me out.

I apparently said something that SOUNDED rude, so I got a rude reply back-

Sure thing... here ay go.

LW forum's equivalent of :tsktsk:ing somebody, then

OK. sorry. It's just that I don't like getting links to other places and then finding out I have to sign up or pay- I wasn't trying to be rude.

I was a bit upset that day. that's all. sorry.

I suck up my pride and sincerely apologize,
then...

Hi guys,

people start a whole 'nother conversation about something else.

obnoxious... obnoxious...
Is this LW forum's equivalent of going :neener: and going away?
oliversimmonet, nickdigital, and anyone else who is actually being nice to someone who is NEW to the LW forums, this rant is not for you, but seriously-

Ok. Step by step.

1. Go to the web sites linked by your fellow LWers that are sincerely trying to help you.
2. Follow the tutorial
3. Learn
that's being obnoxious and rude. How about we all try to get along, OK?
We ARE fellow LightWavers, and we should be nice and treat each other as such. I am trying to be as nice as I can, but not accepting a SINCERE apology for something as trivial as sounding rude? sheesh!
*sigh...*
I guess people are pretty PO'd at me by now, but please know that I only want some nice people who'll help me with my LW problems...

oliversimonnet
09-06-2010, 05:49 PM
people start a whole 'nother conversation about something else.

obnoxious... obnoxious...
Is this LW forum's equivalent of going :neener: and going away?
oliversimmonet, nickdigital, and anyone else who is actually being nice to someone who is NEW to the LW forums, this rant is not for you, but seriously-

good for apologysing :) good man

dude haha any one can ask anything in any thread :)
thats what they are there for :)

prometheus
09-07-2010, 01:32 AM
As said before, even if you are reluctant to register on pages, simply lightwave is free to register on, and the ocean tutorial is also completly free + it contains the object and scene file for you to simply render out.

http://www.simplylightwave.com/movie_pages/tutorial.mhtml?tut_id=3

gonna check your spaceship now:thumbsup:

Michael

SonicN2O
09-07-2010, 08:38 AM
OK, i'll try...

silviotoledo
09-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Hopper

I need a Step by step way to create a Let me Google help you link :)

Maybe in a let me google link :)

oliversimonnet
09-07-2010, 10:19 AM
@silviotoledo: here you go pal
http://lmgtfy.com/
just put in what you want
clik google serch
and it creates a link for you :)

SonicN2O
09-07-2010, 02:34 PM
dude haha any one can ask anything in any thread :)
thats what they are there for :)

at least you could put a :hijack: or :offtopic: emoticon on your post
:D I just have to find something to complain about, don't I?

oliversimonnet
09-07-2010, 02:40 PM

no not really because we dont mind people asking questions, we are all friendly here :)

yes you do :)

SonicN2O
09-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Yeeah...
:newhere:, only been using LW for about 2 yrs. now, so I can't help, I need help.:oye:

gordonrobb
09-07-2010, 02:48 PM
And to prove the point, this is what following the link to the tutorial will give you.

SonicN2O
09-07-2010, 03:23 PM
going off the deep end... i like that. :-)

Hieron
09-08-2010, 03:50 AM
Interesting read.. and that model sure is a good bargaining chip for a fully setup scene. I don't think you need to offer chips to get stuff here though, usually.

lwaddict
09-08-2010, 12:17 PM

Uhhhhhhhh...
didn't look like it was hijacked or offtopic dude.

The individual looks like they picked up where you left off...
maybe followed the links...
read a bit...
figured out that they could do this...
and then asked for the plugin.

Maybe?
I could be way off though.

lwaddict
09-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Oh...
and that whole LMGTFY.com thing was hysterical.

Made me spit up coffee, I laughed so hard.

Saving that for reuse. Thanks for making my day.

SonicN2O
10-19-2010, 07:44 PM
what's LMGTFY.com?

virtualcomposer
10-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Even the production pros here ask questions. EVERYONE can ask questions. Sometimes they can get answered within minutes - other times not at all. Being the "new kid," try not to act like the obnoxious spoiled stepchild. People here LOVE to help others, but not when they are indignant or unappreciative. The people in this forum have helped MANY (including myself) countless times. Be patient and thankful.

Thread hijacking happens often - other people have questions that may be related to your original post OR something someone else said in the thread. Just because you posted the original thread does not make you the owner of the thread. You can always politely re-ask the question if you're not getting the answer you need. Going off the deep end because you're not getting precisely what you want will not help you - especially in the future.

While we're all different, we have one thing in common - Lightwave. And it's a damned good community!

And thank Newtek for these forums! :thumbsup:

I agree. Just when you think you've mastered something, you find out someone else knows 10 times as much.

Roadwarrior
10-19-2010, 08:11 PM
While we're all different, we have one thing in common - Lightwave. And it's a damned good community!

And thank Newtek for these forums!

Totally agree with you there Megalodon, :thumbsup: it is a good community,with lots of help.
Its all about the 3D journey!
Starting out and ending are only two points in time,The middle bit is where the real action is.:jam:

speismonqui
10-19-2010, 09:21 PM
what's LMGTFY.com?

try making a dumb question, You'll get one right away :thumbsup:

SonicN2O
10-20-2010, 04:46 PM
???

SonicN2O
10-20-2010, 04:47 PM
check out the free nurnie download thread. It's a good deal if you ask me.

jwiede
10-20-2010, 06:42 PM
BTW, just for future reference, you attached the spaceship model, but forgot to include the texture file(s) referenced in the LWO.

Serling
10-20-2010, 10:59 PM
"...but please know that I only want some nice people who'll help me with my LW problems..."

OK, I'm going to put the following in the nicest, most respectful terms possible intended only to help you understand the root cause of your problem. The following is intended to instruct, not condemn. Take it for what you paid for it.

The problem you're having with LightWave isn't a LightWave problem: it's a learning problem. And it's an attitude problem.

No one is going to hand you all that you want on a silver platter. Why should they? Learning any artform requires desire, dedication, and discipline. Asking for a "step-by-step" answer to your particular problem is the same thing as asking for someone to do it for you first so you can copy what they've done. You're looking for a shortcut to the hard work and dedication other people have put in so you won't have to. With that kind of attitude, you'll never learn the art of 3D (or anything else).

Follow the links, apply the lessons you learn there and learn the reasons why people use the tools and take the steps they do, then you'll be able to ask questions that will show you've put some effort into learning the art and craft of 3D.

As someone who's been trying to teach myself LightWave for almost 3 years now I can assure you of one very important thing: you'll have to put a lot of time and effort into reading tutorials and watching videos and, even after all of that, you still may not get something. But people are more willing to help if you've shown that you're trying to learn not just asking for someone to do the tough stuff for you.

That's my $.02. Your mileage may vary.

SonicN2O
10-21-2010, 06:17 AM
:agree:

SonicN2O
10-21-2010, 06:18 AM
BTW, just for future reference, you attached the spaceship model, but forgot to include the texture file(s) referenced in the LWO.
OK thank for telling me that. how do you attach the texture files?

SonicN2O
10-21-2010, 06:23 AM
Wait... I just downloaded the file, and the textures are all there.
how about I put the .zip file with everything in it on the free nurnies thread.
Anybody want the textures?

SonicN2O
10-21-2010, 06:28 AM
Alright it's uploaded.

richdj
10-21-2010, 07:43 AM
For a different approach, check ocean tutorial in messiah (http://setuptab.com/index.php?action=store;sa=view;id=46). This should be easily transferable to LW, and uses a (relatively) small amount of geometry, regardless of how big your ocean is...

Rich

SonicN2O
10-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks richdj

SonicN2O
10-21-2010, 06:17 PM
u should check out the free nurnie thread and make a contribution. everybody should.

SonicN2O
07-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Okay... was this thread created a year ago??? Hey Hopper, are you still having a laugh at my expense? I think a lot of us can relate to how intimidating LW can seem to someone who just opened the box, especially someone who is new to CG (less than a year, not the previously stated 2 years, I made a mistake), especially the 12 year old who started this thread a year ago. In retrospect, look at the second post. What did I do to deserve that? and the "stop sending me links" was because I couldn't get to simplylightwave.com at the time, and being new to forums in general, I was still developing the skill of getting your thoughts heard. I know that I've matured a lot since then, and I hope certain people here have done the same. I'd like to be the first to apologize for MY rude behavior, and I hope others will follow suit.