PDA

View Full Version : Text Bevel gone Haywire

Vettcross
08-27-2010, 03:22 PM
I am a long time Lightwaver but have for the last 10 years developing my video biz and used LW not as much as I used to. Question- I have to create a logo using Berlin Sans FB Demi Bold.

When I bevel, some points shoot all over the place. I know this is due to a lot of points in the corner area but even when I reduce points it stills goes nutty.

Any ideas?

THX,
C

Skonk
08-27-2010, 03:53 PM
There's probably not much you can do about it other than trying to minimize the effect before beveling by manually removing points near the corners of each letter and then after beveling by move and welding the stray points.

Vettcross
08-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks- It wouldn't be an issue if I didn't have a lot of them to do. I am basically creating 3D text treatments to be ported in AE which will be motion graphics used on stadium boards.

JeffrySG
08-27-2010, 04:33 PM
One thing you could try is to bevel the sides of the letters slightly instead of the front. This will make the typeface look a little thicker but may save you a big headache. Depending on how thick of a bevel you need it might work for you.

Vettcross
08-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks. Very good suggestion- I tried it. One question however... as there are multiple polys on the sides, how do I bevel the sides as one unit as opposed to beveling each individual poly?

Vettcross
08-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Got it... Multishift. Thanks much

JeffrySG
08-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Got it... Multishift. Thanks much

Yeah, I use multishift for most of that stuff. You can also save your settings so it's easy to reuse them later if needed.

Maxx
08-28-2010, 08:09 AM
What I'll usually do is bevel backwards, if that makes any sense. Basically type the copy in flat, manually adjust the kerning, then bevel out from the flat faces, instead of inwards. This will make the letters thicker (so adjust the initial font size), but will guarantee no problems with point overlap.