PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave crash!

Bigboy
09-18-2003, 02:16 PM
Hiya all,

Im trying to load in a TGA file to lightwave as a texture, but everytime I do, it dies a horrible death. Any ideas? What other 32 bit formats are supported?

Ive attached the offending image in case someone knows whats up.....

Make a cube, then CTRL-F3, attach colour image(texture)...BANG!

Neuroup
09-20-2003, 11:22 AM
I downloaded this test file and everything is ok. I have athlon 1,4 ghx, 256 mb ram, Geforce 3, windows XP and lightwave 7,5.

toby
09-20-2003, 12:39 PM
First try re-loading your i/o plug-ins, then try .PSD, .TIF, .PNG, .BMP

TGA can also have different types compression on it, can you export to a different type of TGA?

*edit*
your file just crashed my LW! Export it to a new file.

knuckles644
09-20-2003, 09:21 PM
crashed

toby
09-20-2003, 10:10 PM
I exported it to a new tga from Photoshop and it worked fine.

Bigboy
09-22-2003, 03:27 AM
UNfortunatly, I only have Paint Shop Pro, so I cant do a new export. An uncompressed TGA should be fine... the file format is VERY simple.

Im on WinXP Pro, Athlon XP2.6, 1Gig ram, GeForceFX5800.

This is on Lightwave 7.5 (straight from the disk, no upgrades). Ive no idea what could be going wrong, but its a real pain.

I have tried loading, and saving as a new TGA with no luck though... :(

Im currently using PNG's to get round the problem, but I dont like PNG's much, as there are bugs in the OS+DirectX when loading them. (I load the models into my 3D engine... and PNG's sometimes kill it).

jb_gfx
09-22-2003, 07:04 AM
There is a ton of free image converter, just do a search on google.

I like your avatar a lot btw, lemmings rulez ;)

Bigboy
09-23-2003, 05:48 AM
Yeah, PNG's are fine for now.... but it should work is all.. :(

Thanks! I was one of the original people that wrote it at DMA Design :)

Did a ton of levels for it too... now THAT was fun :D

jb_gfx
09-23-2003, 07:38 AM
I worship you! :)

I spent so much time playing the Lemmings series (from ep1 to 3), one of the most funniest game ever made for sure!

Btw, if you can afford it a great (batch) converter is Deep Exploration (it's also a viewer). It can display and convert a lot of 2D and 3D format (still or animation), support for 3rd party plugins and has other cool function like publish to web, etc..

You can find it here (there is a 3D days trial demo)
http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/index.htm

Alas it's not really cheap :/

Bigboy
09-24-2003, 02:42 AM
Well, PSP can load and save most formats, and can also batch convert, so its a bit irritating that TGA's from PSP crash it. It cant be the format, since its so simple. Perhaps PSP isnt adding some header info... or is adding extra.

In fact, I seem to recall that there is a value thats usually 1, that PSP fills in. Its right, but I never expected it to change from 1.

Perhaps thats it... I'll have to rake about in my code :)

toby
09-24-2003, 10:27 AM
so will any tga you make with PSP crash LW?

Could it have something to do with the fact that it's premultiplied?

tburbage
09-24-2003, 09:15 PM
Crash loading into Image Editor from Layout or Modeler:

WinXP Pro (up to date), LW 7.5c

Photoshop 7.0 opened it without problems.

Bigboy
09-28-2003, 05:03 AM
How is it pre-multiplied? Its just a 32bit TGA... ARGB kinda format (or BRGA or something...)

I suspect it is PSP filling in data that most expect to be a certain value, and isnt.

Does anyone from Newtek ever read these? A fix would be nice.

toby
09-28-2003, 11:59 AM
send a bug report to them! personnally I'd point the finger at psp because it crashes both mac and pc LW, and other tga's don't - mention it to both of them