PDA

View Full Version : Size matters - dongle

ROY_NUZZO
08-27-2010, 09:09 AM
For those of us working mobile on a laptop the dongle :help: is just plain nasty. Can't you put it on the smaller low profile ones as used by the wireless mouse?

NewTek should not be OldTek.

Sensei
08-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Bigger is easier to plug.. ;)

ROY_NUZZO
08-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Easier to plug? Plugging in a USB is a test of SKILL???? :cool: Geez. Comon. A two year old can plug the thing in, big or small. It's the not getting pulled out or working inside a flip up brief case or having to remove (and maybe lose) when putting in a case for carry. A large protrusion from the side of a rectangle is usually called a handle, or an accident waiting to happen.

At least an option for a small one (and maybe for a baseball bat sized one for those who need two hands and a gps to plug stuff in :jester:).

Sensei
08-27-2010, 09:50 AM
You're probably the first man on the world who wants to have small one.. ;)

Dexter2999
08-27-2010, 10:17 AM
The thing with the dongle on my laptop is that I am always afraid of snapping it off or catching it on something.

Smaller seems a way to avoid that, but it is also a way to make the dongle easier to lose.

I would love to see a "USB Vault", a box about the size of an Altoids can that is an inverted USB hub. Then I could put dongles and USB drives inside a box (safe) and connect them all to a single USB port via a single cable that I wouldn't fear getting snapped off or lost.

Elmar Moelzer
08-27-2010, 12:20 PM
I am generally very pro Dongle (I know it is a controversial topic), but I do agree that a smaller dongle could be nicer. Or maybe not smaller, but just shaped in a way that is less protruding. There are, as some mentioned really nice things for wireless mice, I think I also saw a really small thumbdrive kinda thingy...
In any case, I dont see any reason why these things have to be so big, other than that it makes loosing them harder (but for that a chain attachment or something might be good already).

Shnoze Shmon
08-27-2010, 03:18 PM
The dongle is smaller than any thumbdrive I've got, but I can see where a rotating head would be helpful.

Dexter you ought to patent that idea and run with it.

I'm glad some of my coworkers will never see this thread, it has way way way too much potential for um, shall we say *compost* minds.

ROY_NUZZO
08-27-2010, 04:58 PM
OK, I use a BOXX "laptop" which has a cluster of 4 usbs on the right side dead mid keyboard level. I use a flip-up usb adapter so I don't keep hitting the $%^^& dongle every time I move my mouse (right handed). This also means I MUST unplug and I MUST remove computer from case. Nah!!!

How about getting Logitech to issue a NewTek MOUSE (for LightWave with optimum modeling features) with the dongle in the tiny nearly flush mouse usb plug or even in the mouse! Call it a dongle mouse suppository. This way we just leave it and NOT ever unplug it. Can't lose that way either.

But protruding way out the side is really POOR ENGINEERING and even worse human engineering (what I do).

Hopper
08-27-2010, 05:41 PM
I would love to see a "USB Vault", a box about the size of an Altoids can that is an inverted USB hub. Then I could put dongles and USB drives inside a box (safe) and connect them all to a single USB port via a single cable that I wouldn't fear getting snapped off or lost.
I did this for my notebook at work...

Take your current mini USB hub and put it in a slim line RadioShack project box (hot glued to the bottom). Drill holes centered on the seam where the two sides of the project box meet (+2 for the hub data cable and power) and your done.

Took about 30 minutes.

Elmar Moelzer
08-28-2010, 04:09 AM
But protruding way out the side is really POOR ENGINEERING and even worse human engineering (what I do).
In NewTeks defense: They dont make the dongle. Safenet does.
Still, the dongle as it is, is better than no dongle.

shrox
08-28-2010, 03:12 PM
One of the oddest complaints about Lightwave I have heard...

ROY_NUZZO
09-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Wasn't a complaint against LightWave. It was about a dongle that defeats mobile laptop usage. NewTek could ask their dongle suppliers - hey, how about something less obtrusive? If you are working on a big system, then it makes zero difference, in which case :devil:.

I don't understand the psychology here. Would be nice to have a choice.

Dexter2999
09-04-2010, 02:22 PM
I don't understand the psychology here. Would be nice to have a choice.

The psychology is "greed". But in reality it is about being cost effective. Adding to the dongle manufacturer additional setup and inventory needs. The reseller having to then stock different product lines with different models of dongle packaged. Sales needing to ask which size dongle users prefer. Costs of replacing an order that was sent that had the wrong size dongle.

In reality people who complain about the dongle size aren't worth the overhead costs associated with trying to please everyone.

I like having a dongle. But many people complain so there has been talk of doing away with it in the future.

You can please some of the people all of the time.
You can please all of the people some of the time.
But you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Sensei
09-04-2010, 02:49 PM
There was request to have dongle with flash memory, that had more sense, than just "small dongle size". Dongle you have to have anywhere where you want to run LightWave. On flash memory there can be uploaded projects you're working on, maybe even with LightWave installed..

Dexter2999
09-04-2010, 08:13 PM
There was request to have dongle with flash memory, that had more sense, than just "small dongle size". Dongle you have to have anywhere where you want to run LightWave. On flash memory there can be uploaded projects you're working on, maybe even with LightWave installed..

Yeah, I requested that as well. Great place to have your preferences saved to as well, don't you think? For that matter, if it were a "portable app." that ran off the same stick that served as the dongle.

Phil
09-06-2010, 08:50 AM
I usually just have the dongle plugged into an unpowered USB mini hub with a flexible cable. It saves wear and tear on the dongle (the hub is more easily replaced than the dongle) and has the side benefit of making the thing more chunky so it's less easy to lose when moving around.

The flexible cable also means that the risk of snapping off the dongle is greatly reduced.

Andrew March
09-07-2010, 02:41 AM
I have my dongle plugged in to an external USB hub that sits a meter and a half away from my laptop, no chance of hitting it or damaging it.

ROY_NUZZO
09-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Yeah. That makes sense. It is about solving the problem - not a specific answer but any good answer or alternative. The problem is how do you make a friendly LAPTOP item? Stay within the laptop footprint.

As to cost - charge for the dif!! If I want leather seats in my car, I pay for them. Besides, the dongle people are sitting on an OLD (doomed, I think) format. Time for them to step up or go Darwin.

Dexter2999
09-07-2010, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=ROY_NUZZO;1055506]Yeah. That makes sense. It is about solving the problem - not a specific answer but any good answer or alternative. The problem is how do you make a friendly LAPTOP item? Stay within the laptop footprint.[\QUOTE]

I've suggested before in other threads...Bluetooth dongles. You just have to have the dongle within 30 feet of the laptop. So it could be in your pocket or possibly just live in your laptop bag.

LW_Will
09-08-2010, 04:31 PM
This is also an option, though I do like the bluetooth idea...

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=11546

Maya people do use mobile USB Ethernet dongles with their setups so their licences can follow. (something to look forward to...?)

ROY_NUZZO
10-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Oh - geez - guess what I discovered? (to get the dongle out of my way I use a USB smart-card)
Bumped the dongle and the smart card did what they do - ejected! right in the middle of something important ....nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o and then nothing bad happened! ?? So far, can't guarantee other nasty stuff, but the program works fine WITHOUT the DONGLE (as long as you start up with it). Have not tried changing modules etc. ??????????? Is it THAT EASY????????

RudySchneider
10-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Yes. The dongle is only needed to start either Modeler or Layout.