PDA

View Full Version : Ok, this is a new one on me....

hrgiger
09-18-2003, 01:27 PM
Ok, so I was working in Lightwave today and I've come across something I've never seen before.

I was hiding geometry and working with the front fender of my car model and when I went to unhide the rest of the geometry, it seems like the wire frame is now imprinted onto the mesh. When I saw this in modeler (see first pic below) I assumed it was just a basic OpenGL error as I have a fairly sucky video card:

hrgiger
09-18-2003, 01:27 PM
OpenGL right? Well, not so. Here's a render from Layout:

hrgiger
09-18-2003, 01:30 PM
So what gives? I restarted my machine to see if it was just some weird error but it's still there. It's an interesting effect but I'd sure like to get rid of it.

hrgiger
09-18-2003, 01:56 PM
Well, nevermind, I figured out what happened. I had a bunch of two point polygons that were making the mesh outline.

I'm just not sure what I did to make them in the first place. :confused:

evenflcw
09-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Well, if you could figure out how they were created then you'd be doing us all a favor, as they look to be smoothed like subpatches. This means we could get correct subpatchwires in renders, yay!
I now of only one way to create these, but it works only patch by patch (I created a script to automate the process, but it turned out so slow I wouldn't even consider using it myself even).

Or is that a polymesh as the booleans would suggest?

bloontz
09-18-2003, 02:30 PM
I just saw a plugin that may do what you need at Flay called SHM DeRez.

Here's the description from Flay-

"a script from the Chrome Cow, will take a polygonal selection and replace each poly with a 2D outline in 2-point polygons. You can also add extra detail, crumpling, dropped out parts and leave random polygons."

evenflcw
09-18-2003, 02:43 PM
Although SHM DeRez is cool and all, it works with polygons (cage), not subpatches. Polygon wireframes can be easily made beveling with 0 shift and 0 inset, whereas subpatch wireframes are not so easily made.

hrgiger
09-18-2003, 03:02 PM
Evenflow, that's how mine happened above, I finally figured out what I did wrong. I beveled my polygons by accident with 0 shift and 0 inset which basically lays an extra polygon over every polygon in your model. Then just merge points and you'll be left with a wireframe on top of your model made out of the two point polys. And yes, the mesh above are polygons and not subpatches. It works with subpatches too but not as well. The two point polys stick out above the mesh some but on a fairly detailed model, it might look ok.

mattclary
09-19-2003, 05:49 AM
Looks cool Steve, when can we see more?

hrgiger
09-19-2003, 07:34 AM
It's my batmobile that you can see in the W.I.P. forum right now. Of course, as you just posted there, I'm sure you already know that...;)

bloontz
09-19-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by evenflcw
Although SHM DeRez is cool and all, it works with polygons (cage), not subpatches. Polygon wireframes can be easily made beveling with 0 shift and 0 inset, whereas subpatch wireframes are not so easily made.

Ah yes, after attempting it I see the limitation you refer to. I'm still learning a lot of lightwave basics but subdivisions only working with 3 and 4 sided polys is often frustrating...

Could you share your patch by patch method with me?