PDA

View Full Version : Fast global illumination?

Exper
09-18-2003, 12:25 PM
I feel that I'm going completely insane! :( :( :(

Reading CG-Talk:
"I think I saw that LW 8 will have a fast global illumination ability (my guess is it fakes radiosity in some kind of automagical way). They were using a couple of Proton's cool looking Ninja dudes to show it off. So Proton or Deuce may be able to "illuminate" the discussion (pardon the really cheesey pun)."
Take a look: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=88924

Hey... Proton!
Hey... Deuce!
Hey... is there anybody out there?

milkman
09-18-2003, 04:08 PM
Aye, I don't understand all this secrecy. LW8 has already been unveiled at SIGGRAPH, and they DID say that more announcements would follow after siggraph but its been a while and nothing.

cresshead
09-18-2003, 06:36 PM
my guess is that they are very hard at work trying to make sure lightwave 8 is a stunning release...would be nice to get a upper hand on "goodies" in comparison to how poorly max 6 seem to have been rolled out and maya didn't exactly set the world on fire with maya 5...sure MR is cool n all but other than that there wasn't too much in maya complete's new stuff..n max..well they seem to be following rather than leading nowdays..

lw8...when it's ready..i'll be here!...
newtek..don't "rush it out the door"...make it have a big impact!

steve g

geoff3dnz
09-18-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by cresshead
lw8...when it's ready..i'll be here!...
newtek..don't "rush it out the door"...make it have a big impact! Here, here. Although it would be nice to see the quote, "We're not posting so much because we're working on heaps of cool stuff." That'd tide me over till 2004. ;)

badllarma
09-19-2003, 12:45 AM
I think it would be nice to know whats going on as well, since Siggragh we have heard sod all really...........don't want to know the date of release but more info on features and screen shots WOULD be nice.:)

Matt
09-19-2003, 02:16 AM
I agree with Cresshead, I don't mind waiting, nobody remembers late when it's a good job, but they will remember a bad job even if it's early!

Re: GI, I swear on one of the early press releases it said Global Illumination as one of the new features, and I thought, we already have GI what are they talking about!!

Then I thought, I hope it's NEW GI, fast and clean!!!

Only time will tell!

Exper
09-19-2003, 02:57 AM
Maybe Chuck or Lee or Proton or Deuce could tell us something... :D

Earl
09-19-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Matt
Re: GI, I swear on one of the early press releases it said Global Illumination as one of the new features, and I thought, we already have GI what are they talking about!!

Then I thought, I hope it's NEW GI, fast and clean!!!

Only time will tell!

Well, unfortunately they do list features which are not new to [8] on the preview page (such as Unlimited points and polygons per object, Unlimited images, Unlimited surfaces). So for them to say Global Illumination under a description of the up-and-coming [8], it could very well mean the existing radiosity solution.

However, we can always hope for a surprise! :cool:

Karmacop
09-19-2003, 07:25 PM
Umm .. I thought there had always been limits on those things? :confused:

EyesClosed
09-19-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Karmacop
Umm .. I thought there had always been limits on those things? :confused:

Yeah, there were.

As for the GI thing, I think it's just that Newtek is adding a GI preview to the viewports like in other programs. I don't see any sign of vastly improved rendering anywhere (which is extremely needed).

Matt
09-20-2003, 07:42 AM
Bugger :(

Emmanuel
09-21-2003, 05:05 AM
Erm, what does that mean, adding GI to the viewports ?
BTW, I thought the word was that it rendering so fast at Sig because of the hardware it was shown on...like very fast multi-cpu-machine or so...

Exper
09-23-2003, 08:45 AM
Hey... Chuck!
Hey... Proton!
Hey... Deuce!

badllarma
09-23-2003, 08:56 AM
Exper
Proton posted on another thread that he will post the screen shots as soon as the powers at be at newtek will allow him, he's says he wants to post them as much we want to see them:)

Still I feel it's a bit fustraiting as well:(

Zafar Iqbal
09-23-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Exper
I feel that I'm going completely insane! :( :( :(

Reading CG-Talk:
"I think I saw that LW 8 will have a fast global illumination ability (my guess is it fakes radiosity in some kind of automagical way). They were using a couple of Proton's cool looking Ninja dudes to show it off. So Proton or Deuce may be able to "illuminate" the discussion (pardon the really cheesey pun)."
Take a look: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=88924

Hey... Proton!
Hey... Deuce!

They (NewTek/Proton) didn't show anything regarding GI. I saw those screenshots, wich were ment to show the interface as it was atm. The ninja just happend to be there and it happend to had been rendered with GI... nothing else. No one mentioned anything about GI.. it's all rumors and ppl overanalyzing everything.