PDA

View Full Version : PAL 16x9 720x576 output to FCP in UK

LawCol
08-25-2010, 05:48 AM
Hi,

Using a Tricaster Studio (2.5) and outputting to a Mac via a AJA Kona LHE card (also tried the Blackmagic Decklink Studio 3 card) into Final Cut Pro to record. The PAL image is 720x404 and therefore FCP adds black bars down each side of the image to make it 720x576.

Is there anyway of getting the Tricaster Studio to output PAL 16:9 720x576? It would save the editors a lot of time from cropping every recording we make.

Cheers,

Ted

SBowie
08-25-2010, 06:10 AM
The PAL image is 720x404 and therefore FCP adds black bars down each side of the image to make it 720x576.This seems very odd. As far as I know, TC's PAL output is 720x576, regardless of whether it is 4:3 or 16:9 (I don't have a PAL monitor here, but just tested this by recording TC output in PAL mode internally).

It rather sounds as though the card is recognizing the source as 16:9, but scaling it to fit inside a 4:3 frame. I'd be looking for input/output configuration settings for the card, since afaik it should not really be able to distinguish between a 4:3 and 16:9 analog signal.

LawCol
08-27-2010, 07:27 AM
Hi,

We don't think it is the Kona card in the Mac. Apart from changing the card to a different make and already tested settings, we are having the same problem when we recorded straight from the Tricaster Studio to a Digibeta recorder.

Our other outputs from the Tricaster are also cropped in 720x404.

Are other PAL users having the same problem?

Ted

SBowie
08-27-2010, 07:56 AM
I understand the point you're making, but if TC's PAL video output was actually 720x404, it would not display correctly on an SD television monitor (apart from being undersized, it would likely mess up fielding in that case). I think we'd have heard of this problem long, long ago were that the case.

Have you spoken to NewTek Europe?

LawCol
08-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Currently in discussion with them. They recommended I delete the cache folder and reset the TC.

I was hoping someone else had already had this problem and found a solution. I wondered if it was my machine, or if I had set something up incorrectly?? It is odd...

SBowie
08-27-2010, 08:50 AM
What sort of connection are you running into the external card from the TC output?

LawCol
08-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks. We have 3 SD cameras coming in via their independent CCU's as Component (Y, B-Y and R-Y).

The output is Component (Y, B-Y and R-Y) which is directly into the Kona card installed in the Mac.

SBowie
08-27-2010, 12:32 PM
You know, 720x404 is pretty close to 16:9, if it was being treated as a square pixel format. Is there any chance your external card could be trying to letterbox the input for any reason?

LawCol
09-09-2010, 03:42 AM
Hi,

We've recorded straight from the TC to a Digibeta recorder (avoiding the MAC and Kona card) using Component, Composite connections and SDI, with the image still cropped.

I've attached some screen captures of the TC, FCP and Quicktime. As you will see the recorded image is 720x576, but we have black bars down the side of the image:

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae261/Lawcol/TCScreen.jpg

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae261/Lawcol/FCP.png

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae261/Lawcol/Quicktime.png

SBowie
09-09-2010, 07:05 AM
I've attached some screen captures of the TC, FCP and Quicktime. As you will see the recorded image is 720x576, but we have black bars down the side of the image:Odd. The small ISO monitor does not appear to show the same 'cropping', for lack of a better word. I've tried running my TC Studio in PAL 16:9. I don't have a PAL camera to connect, so have to use a DDR clip, but I can't replicate this here (I'm assuming the TC screenshot shows the results with a live source, not video recorded to the Digibeta deck.

I don't see any obvious reason for this (helpful that your screenshot shows Input Setup, thanks). Apart from Tech Support, I'm not sure what to suggest. :(

efetavares
12-17-2010, 02:03 PM
HI, I also have this problem - TC Pro. Pal.
I record to disk, it saves files 720 x 404 , it stays 16x9, but when I put the clip on the time line on FCPro, it is resised to 142,22%.
And there's alot of artifacts on it, lots of horizontal lines, bad quality.
Looks like a bad upscale.
It doesn't matter is I say to record in mpeg 2 or not, it always saves files the same way.
it's always a mpeg muxed file.

Thank you for any help.