PDA

View Full Version : thoughts & prayers for major back surgery

THREEL
08-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Hello to all my :lwicon: friends!

On Aug. 31, which also, happens to be my lovely wife's & my 19th wedding anniversary, I'll be going under the knife for major back surgery. The surgeon will be removing the disks between the L4-L5 & L5-S1 vertebrae (lower back, sciatica). From there, he'll be inserting bone grafts, or some other type of insertion between those vertebrae to fuse the 3 of them together, and inserting rods & screws to give added stability to the spine.

Also, I have to be off Warfarin (blood thinner) for the week before and 2 to 3 weeks after surgery. so I don't bleed to death, internally. I take the Warfarin, because I have Atrial Fibrillation. The concern here is that the heart stops beating on occasion, which causes the blood to pool, which, in turn, could clot and be sent to my brain and lead to a stroke. I'm not aloud to take ibuprofen, either, which is what I take to curb headaches, which I have frequently. Thank God I'm taking Vicodin, but even that is starting to loose its effectiveness.

Please, Keep us in your thoughts and/or prayers through this trying time in our lives. Thanks a bunch!!!

erikals
08-25-2010, 12:56 AM
all the best Al, it's not easy in times like this, but do remember you're in the best hands.
i wish you a healthy recovery.

best regards, Erik

safetyman
08-25-2010, 06:22 AM
I wish you the best. I had back surgery myself several years ago (nothing as extensive as what you are having), and when I think about it now it was a piece of cake. Painful, but I got back to work rather quickly. Good luck and God bless.

Amurrell
08-25-2010, 08:49 AM
I'm sure you'll do fine. In my line of work I have witnessed many of these surgeries and their outcomes, and the patients during their follow up examinations and I would have to say the majority of them come out the other side better for it. It will be rough for a while there (having gone through two back surgeries myself) but you'll do fine. Keep the faith, be strong, and you'll come out just fine, joining the rest of us "zipper backs" in the process. :)

manholoz
08-25-2010, 09:44 AM
I have a sore neck from a car accident my late teen years (spinal rectification, displacement of c-3 and c-4 vertebrae if I remember correctly), which basically means, if I don't sleep in a correct neck position, I have headaches that last sometimes until the sun is down. Nothing compared to what THREEL is going through, but I can vaguely relate to his condition. And it is not an easy thing to cope with.
Best of luck on the operation, and may you come out of the operation room as a better man.
I'll certainly remember you in my prayers.

oliversimonnet
08-25-2010, 10:06 AM
all the best pal, i hope the surgery goes ok :) best Wishes to you and your wife :)

crashnburn
08-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Hi Threel,

All the best with your operation, take plenty of magazines and books, my two weeks with my arm in hospital were boring, but I got to read plenty. Good support from family and friends goes a long way.

Marc

COBRASoft
08-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Good luck and good recovery! Keep us posted about the progress.

I have hernia on 3 places, so I know what the pain and suffering is. For the moment I can live without surgery though.

Silkrooster
08-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Good luck my friend and have a happy anniversary. Just don't celebrate before the surgery. :lol:

THREEL
08-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Good luck my friend and have a happy anniversary. Just don't celebrate before the surgery. :lol:

What??? Ya kill joy!!! :D

Thanks for the positive comments, guys! It'll be a long road, but if the painful sciatica that I'm experiencing subsides, it'll be well worth the journey! Right now, Vicodin is my friend, but I'd like to be able to quit taking it, because I'd like to have a healthy liver as well.

Roadwarrior
08-26-2010, 12:18 AM
All the best buddy, praying for you and the surgeon's steady hands.

My sister had vertebrae (lower back, sciatica). stuff replaced last year
and shes much better since she had the operation.

All the best to you and your wife !:)

THREEL
08-31-2010, 12:24 AM
Thanks everyone! Today's the day of my big surgery! I'll let you know how it all went, once I get back home and feel up to it.

COBRASoft
08-31-2010, 04:34 AM
Once again, all the best to you!

erikals
08-31-2010, 05:36 AM
look forward :]
take care, and give us an update soon :]

hunter
08-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Praying for you and everyone involved for a speedy recovery. :thumbsup:

shrox
08-31-2010, 01:35 PM
Hello to all my :lwicon: friends!

On Aug. 31, which also, happens to be my lovely wife's & my 19th wedding anniversary, I'll be going under the knife for major back surgery. The surgeon will be removing the disks between the L4-L5 & L5-S1 vertebrae (lower back, sciatica). From there, he'll be inserting bone grafts, or some other type of insertion between those vertebrae to fuse the 3 of them together, and inserting rods & screws to give added stability to the spine.

Also, I have to be off Warfarin (blood thinner) for the week before and 2 to 3 weeks after surgery. so I don't bleed to death, internally. I take the Warfarin, because I have Atrial Fibrillation. The concern here is that the heart stops beating on occasion, which causes the blood to pool, which, in turn, could clot and be sent to my brain and lead to a stroke. I'm not aloud to take ibuprofen, either, which is what I take to curb headaches, which I have frequently. Thank God I'm taking Vicodin, but even that is starting to loose its effectiveness.

Please, Keep us in your thoughts and/or prayers through this trying time in our lives. Thanks a bunch!!!

Good luck friend.

Andrewstopheles
08-31-2010, 01:41 PM
My brother had similar surgery, 2 discs removed and others fused. I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery. My thoughts are with you and your family.

jat
08-31-2010, 01:52 PM
All the best.......

Pavlov
08-31-2010, 05:43 PM
Good luck, shall you see brighter times soon !

Paolo

kurv
08-31-2010, 11:18 PM
Best of luck, and a speedy recovery. You will be fine :D

THREEL
09-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Thanks for all the kind & positive words, everyone. I got back home from the hospital last Friday (Sept. 03). I'm still having some tingling and burning sensations, especially in my left foot. My research shows that it could take anywhere from 4-to-6 months to completely heal.

When I'm out-and-about I wear a back brace. Let me tell you, I, now, know what a turtle feels like. Sort of helpless, when I'm laying on my back. Also, I have to wear an electronic bone growth stimulator to help the fusion go faster and make the bones stronger. Maybe I'll model it, someday, and share it with the forum.

Well, I must keep moving. Except for sleeping, I'm only supposed to be in one position (i.e. sitting, standing) for approximately 20 min. at a time. Which is really hard to do, once I get in front of my computer.

JeffrySG
09-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Heal up fast and take care of yourself!

oliversimonnet
09-08-2010, 01:21 PM
good luck pal :)

erikals
09-08-2010, 03:55 PM
so far so good :]

hope it works out without too much trouble.
try to find good ways to deal with it, (specially made beds/ equipment, etc...)
and entertain yourself as much as possible, be active :]

take care :]

Silkrooster
09-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Good news - You are still alive and are now in the healing stage.

Bad news - You forgot to take reference photo's the whole time you were in the hospital. :D

Looking forward to your return.

THREEL
09-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Good news - You are still alive and are now in the healing stage.

Bad news - You forgot to take reference photo's the whole time you were in the hospital. :D

Looking forward to your return.

Good news - Yeppers!!! :D

Bad news - I asked, but they wouldn't let me! :cry:

I'll be on here from time-to-time. I just got to remember my time limit, and try to stick with it. :)

Thanks Silk!!!

BTW--I do have some after shots of the 25 staples they put in my back, if anyone wants to see that.

Nangleator
09-09-2010, 12:39 PM
I do have some after shots of the 25 staples they put in my back, if anyone wants to see that.
Ooh! Make a seamless texture! Perfect for a Halloween creation!

Get well soon.

Snosrap
09-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Glad to hear it went well Alan. Want to play some table tennis?:D

JeffrySG
09-09-2010, 01:48 PM
I'll be on here from time-to-time. I just got to remember my time limit, and try to stick with it. :)

I've been recovering from a budging disc and staying off the computer for long stretches was the hardest thing for me. Make sure you have a good chair now with good proper support for your back! :thumbsup:

crashnburn
09-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Glad to hear you are out of hospital, take good care of yourself!

Quiet1onTheSet
09-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Good news - Yeppers!!! :D

Bad news - I asked, but they wouldn't let me! :cry:

Thanks Silk!!!

BTW--I do have some after shots of the 25 staples they put in my back, if anyone wants to see that.

Threel -- you've got my prayful support for a speedy and thorough recovery, with as little discomfort as possible, and for wise management of your meds for your overall health to improve as well.

Q1

ken_g9
09-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Good luck and may you have painless and speedy recovery...:)