PDA

View Full Version : hypervoxel/whirlpool help

stevenpalomino
08-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out how they set up the hypervoxels in layout in the siggraph video here:

http://tv.newtek.com/player.php?recordID=61

anyone have any idea how he set up the settings?

He starts to explain it at about 1:45.
Thanks!

nickdigital
08-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out how they set up the hypervoxels in layout in the siggraph video here:

http://tv.newtek.com/player.php?recordID=61

anyone have any idea how he set up the settings?

He starts to explain it at about 1:45.
Thanks!

What part are you having trouble with?

stevenpalomino
08-25-2010, 06:45 AM
The settings for the particles in the beginning.. I don't understand how he made the gradients.. I noticed there were two.. Particle speed and weight.. I just can't get the particles to look the same as the video.. I can't get the thick to chunky look..

nickdigital
08-25-2010, 01:22 PM
The settings for the particles in the beginning.. I don't understand how he made the gradients.. I noticed there were two.. Particle speed and weight.. I just can't get the particles to look the same as the video.. I can't get the thick to chunky look..

He made a gradient in the Texture Size for the Hypervoxels. Set the gradient to "Particle Speed" and have a gradient that goes from dark to light with the dark part at the top (Start 0.0).

stevenpalomino
08-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Yes I tried that as well as I made one for particle weight but it all looked chunky instead of going from smooth to chunky like I suppose the gradient would do..

nickdigital
08-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Can you post your lws file? Do you have Blending checked in the Hypervoxels tab? You could try increasing how many particles you're emitting too. In the demo he's emitting a lot.

stevenpalomino
08-25-2010, 01:38 PM
heres the .lws!

nickdigital
08-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Very quick and dirty but I tweaked your file to make the demonstration obvious.

1. I put a value so your particles will shoot down and upped the resistance value. You only had gravity. The particles shoot out fast and then quickly slow down. This makes what's going on in the gradient more obvious.

2. Increased the size of your voxels so you can clearly see them large when they're emitted and then smaller as the slow down.

3. The setup in your gradient was backwards too.

stevenpalomino
08-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the reply. Is this ernest? Or is that account from anyone at ND? Anyway.. did you watch the video I posted.. it's not so much big blobs at the top.. but more like a smooth liquid that goes to chunky blobs. You see it around 1:30 into the video. What you did was close though.

nickdigital
08-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Yes this is Ernest.

Try increasing the amount of particles. Hypervoxels aren't fluids like you see in Realflow so you need to create a lot of them to get a really smooth volume.

stevenpalomino
08-28-2010, 03:58 AM
Alright I got the particles.. but then he totally lost me when he starts connecting nodes in layout. It starts at about 6 minutes into the video. You can even see everything on the far right side. It looks like it's a bunch of math nodes but I have no idea. anyone know?

nickdigital
08-29-2010, 11:16 AM
He goes through the setup in his video. He doesn't go into the small details (how he setup his gradients, etc) but you can see which nodes he used.

Maybe NewTek can post the Siggraph content.

stevenpalomino
09-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm still trying to do this and was wondering if anyone knew of ANY WAY to make a whirlpool effect in LW?

nickdigital
10-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Not nearly as polished as the Siggraph demo but it should help point you in the right direction.

The scene file is going to be missing the displacement image sequence. You can generate that out of the particle lws file that's in there. I think my particle shading has too much contrast. My whirlpool was looking much more jagged than the Siggraph version.

stevenpalomino
10-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Wow ernest you've outdone yourself today! You're just spitting out scenes left and right! Thanks for your time! I know its not just a quick scene to make. I was actually able to get my hands on the original siggraph files but I'm waiting for permission. To post them on here.. The files were a bit hard to understand though so hopefully this will be a bit simpler or maybe we can come up with one huge master simulation :D

Thanks again!! :)

nickdigital
10-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Ah cool..in that case ignore my files. :D