PDA

View Full Version : Head point at target = eyes drifting out of socket?

Algae998
08-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Hey all,

Im working on a simple rig where I have controllers for the head and eyes. The setup I have so far is a directional control bone for the head, where it is set to point at my targeted null. The head bone is parented to the directional control bone and the eyes are parented to the head bone. I also have each eye's point at target set to an eye controller null, so that I can grab either/both controllers and move the head/eyes around. The only issue is when moving the head null and rotating the head, it causes the eyes (bones and all) to pop out of their socket. (see attached images)

Ive got this setup properly in the past but cant figure out what Im doing wrong. Ive tried turning all the bones off, selecting the eye bones, recording their pivot rotation and then recording their rest position but I still get the same results.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

4dartist
08-23-2010, 02:02 PM
can you just post the rig without the object? Just 'replace object with null' on your character. I can probably figure it out pretty quick for you.

Usually when the eyes or face distorts you need to record rest position, and sometimes you need to do it to every bone, even inactive ones, then re-deactivate them. It may look like the eye bones are translating out of the sockets, but maybe the sockets are pushing back so the skinning is still the issue. If the bones are INDEED moving, then the problem is elsewhere and not in the skinning. A quick look at the rig w/out the character would solve whether its a rig or skinning issue.

If you attach both I could see why is causing the problem with skinning if that is it too, but most people may chose not to upload their character.

RebelHill
08-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Its a skinning issue. The eyes arent popping out the head, the head is deforming away from the eyes. A couple hold bones in the head/weights should sort you out.

Algae998
08-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the quick response RebelHill and 4dartist. I took another look and it was a skinning issue, the head directional bone wasnt assigned to a weightmap and had 0% strength. As soon as I hooked it up to the head weight map the eyes' mesh popped back into place, after some tweaking it should be good to go. Thanks for the help, rigging has never been my cup of tea. Greatly appreciated!