PDA

View Full Version : Having both Lightwave win32 and win 64 installed?

prometheus
08-23-2010, 03:41 AM
Best way to have lightwave win32 and 64 bit installed?
What are your recomended setups to avoid conflicts in cfg files etc?

Michael

Elmar Moelzer
08-23-2010, 06:49 AM
I have multiple versions of both 64 bit and 32 bit LW running on the same machine without any problems.
Just make sure to launch from a desktop shortcut that is redirecting the configs.
For this you use the -cPathtomyconfigs command line parameter.
So your command line in the shortcut could look like this:
C:\LightWave96_32\Programs\lightwav.exe -cC:\LightWave96_32\configs

where "configs" is a folder (that you will have to create first) that will contain your config files. Note the lack of a "\" at the end!
This will effectively redirect your config files to this folder.

For the 64 bit version, you would do the same, just with a different folder name specified for the configs. E.g.
C:\LightWave96_64\Programs\lightwav.exe -cC:\LightWave96_64\configs

aurora
08-23-2010, 07:20 AM
I do exactly what Elmar explained and all works well. The only problem I have is that I have too many versions of LW on my desktop. When people look at it they get this strange look on there face, LOL.

prometheus
08-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks elmar, and thatīs what I thought I had to do, setting the configs up that way.

I really need to have both versions since missing support for plugins on the 64 bit side.

we upgraded with a new computer here at work to be able to handle bigger objects, since remodeling and doing welds on the older machines was to painful, I was using pictrix px_bezier for that,wich was great to use as a pipe tool and adding small jitters for the weld bumps, but unfortunatly,he doesnīt have a 64 bit machine to work with compilations on.

I hope for that to change soon, he has so many other plugins needed.
and a proper english page would be nice too.

Aurora..hehe.. soon youll have one more config to add I guess.

Michael

Elmar Moelzer
08-23-2010, 07:41 AM
I use the 32 bit version for development mostly. We only make our final builds with the 64 bit Intel compiler (and GC builds before that), because it can be a bit of a PITA.
That said, using them side by side is useful for the very reason you gave.