PDA

View Full Version : My hand really hurts

codyburke610
08-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Okay, so maybe not so much my hand, more so my wrist and fingers.

I've just been noticing it lately, but I'm on the computer using Lightwave for atleast 15-18hrs a day since coming to DAVE.

Out of no-where about a week ago my hand just started really hurting every time I would click, and now even when I am typing this. It's got to the point where when I am not on my computer and I'm just walking, my hand feels more comfortable conformed to the shape of an imaginary mouse, it even hurts when I text on my phone.

I just bought another mouse, lighter and easier to click and it helps a little, but I still have the pain.

I'm only 18, but have been in the whole video industry since elementary school, so is there anything I could do to relieve some of the tension on my fingers and wrist?

Thanks for any help
-Cody-

Tartiflette
08-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Perhaps try a graphic tablet ?
I'm using for any task since about 7/8 years now, and almost never touch a mouse, apart from some softs which have problems with graphic tablets.
Would never want to go back to using a mouse though, so it might be a solution ?

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

bazsa73
08-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Sounds real bad. You must stop overexerting yourself, otherwise you become crippled.
Do some sport, swim, train your body and don't sit 15 hours in front of the frigging computer.

codyburke610
08-22-2010, 02:16 PM
I do have a tablet for zbrush, but to be honest, holding the pen kind of hurts my fingers and wrist more...

Edit: Yeah, I really should try to get out more, or do some push-ups

-Cody-

Danner
08-22-2010, 02:40 PM
You have to learn to listen to your body, relax your fingers and wrists more, there are times when you are just holding the mouse all tense and doing nothing but thinking about a solution or something. Also take regular breaks, move your hands wrists and fingers and also don't forget to look far away once in a while to relax your eyes. I don't think pushups will do much good, you'd be better off with a 20 min aerobic workout 3 times a week to improve circulation, find something that is fun for you, rollerblading, cycling, swiming what ever.

I got a "gliding wrist support" http://www.fellowes.com/Fellowes/site/products/ProductsSubCategory.aspx?Name=WRISTS_SUPPORT_WORKS PACE_ERGO

I'm liking it a lot. It is not perfect, it tends to fall off to the floor but then I realize how quickly I got used to it and how much I miss it. Work with the pen tablet too when pusihing points or drawing just to change positions. But lose the death grip on it, hold it gently.

Dexter2999
08-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Ergonomics my friend. You are experiencing the beginnings of what people with carpal tunnel syndrome feel.

So you need to keep your wrists as straight as possible. A good chair with adjustable arms that support your elbow and help keep your forearms at a straight angle helps a ton.

I also use a mouse at work and a trackball at home so I don't do the same movement all the time.

To a young person an expensive chair seems a luxury item. To an old guy like me it is MANDATORY.

True story. When I was younger I was looking at office chairs and the sales guy told me his girlfriend sold like 100 chairs to Lockheed Martin to set up a new division. They bought the $99 "cheapo" chairs. They came back two months later and bought $400 chairs because the engineers were finding reasons to get up and walk around (translates to "decreased productivity") because they were uncomfortable and needed to stretch.

Never could afford a new Aeron chair but I did get one for half price off ebay. (for home)

codyburke610
08-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks Danner

I use to skateboard all the time back home, but don't really have the time for it down here, do you think maybe lifting weights would be good also, something I could do in my room?

-Cody-

nickdigital
08-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Cody,

I went through almost the same thing as you awhile back...though not at 18. Yikes!

My problem is that my right pinky would kinda just hover off of my mouse so it was in an unnatural position for hours. My pinky would freak out causing pain to shoot throughout my hand to the point where my hand would seize up.

This has to do with you being in a set position for hours and hours on end.

You have to break that routine.

Invest in one of those grip balls to give yourself a break, try to use a tablet when you can, even using one of those joystick ergonomic mice. I swap between a mouse, the joystick mouse and a tablet.

You have to break the routine.

With the ergonomic mouse and tablet your motion is driven by your arm/shoulder whereas people who use a mouse tend to noodle from the wrist.

You can go through physical therapy. What they did with me was use laser treatment to reduce the swelling in my pinky and massage out the joints in my hand and my palm. With my pinky problem they recommended buddy taping. What that is is you tape your pinky to your neighbor finger so you don't get into the habit of having it just hover off into space. I also have bands so I can work on my upper body. Also use ice at night if you feel there's swelling going on.

This problem your having now is really just a small part of your overall health. You have to get up, move around and exercise. Work on your core. This way your strong from the center out versus your extremities trying to over compensate.

You have to think of your hands as your money makers at this point so take care of them.

Best of luck.

codyburke610
08-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Ernest, that's exactly how it started happening! My pinky just hovers off into space not resting on anything.

I'm going to wal-mart now to pick up a new mouse pad and some weights, I can't let anything happen to my hands.

I'm kind of scared ):

-Cody-

nickdigital
08-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Buddy tape that pinky. Just tape it to your index finger. You could probably find some finger sleeves too...that's what I use. If that don't work tape will do the trick too, though you'll be left with sticky stuff on your finger every day.

I use the tiny keyboard pads as they let me move them around. The mouse pads with the built in pad can be kinda restrictive as I don't really use a mouse pad anymore and my mouse tends to bump into it. Plus I tend to lean on my elbows a lot when I'm reading email and such so it gives me something for my elbow to rest on instead of the hard desk.

Look up core exercise and the Plank position, that's what I do.

Take care of your health now and you should be fine. You're young. :D

rednova
08-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Dear Friend:

Many years ago, I got me an amiga 4000 + animation software (aladdin 4d).
I started to work very hard, long hours every day, cuz I decided I wanted to excel at animation. In just a few days, I started feeling pain in my wrist, lots of pain, so I found out working hard was not good.
I quit working hard at animation, and instead do animation for hobby, but now few hours and not long. The pain dissappeared as soon as I quit working hard on the mouse. Now I only do animation for hobby, not long but only a couple hours a day, and there is no more pain and I happily can work on lightwave, but remember, I only work on lightwave max 2 hrs a day.
I know you want to excel and succeed at animation, but you will have to compromise and quit working so hard. INstead, work only a short time a day, but be smart and make the most out of it.
Now I only work on lightwave like a couple hrs a day, but I spend lots of time reading and studying animation books and also watching movies and television -all which can help me excel at animation-.
Hope this helps,

Love,

Rednova

JCG
08-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks Danner

I use to skateboard all the time back home, but don't really have the time for it down here, do you think maybe lifting weights would be good also, something I could do in my room?

-Cody- When I started feeling the beginnings of CTS, I started doing just 2 exercises. Barbell wrist curls and rubber ball wrist curls. Since I seldom had time to do the real thing, I got a hard-ish rubber ball and squeezed it as hard as I could, while slowly curling the wrist inwards. That I did on every single spare second in which I wasn't actually moving the mouse, all day long. I think the key was that I started just as soon as I felt the first signs of pain. It took about 2 months for the pain to go away completely but, 5 years later, it has not returned.

speismonqui
08-22-2010, 04:18 PM
try alternating the mouse and the tablet, works fine for me. The rubber ball is a great idea also.

Cohen
08-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Sounds like nerve damage. So probably early stages of carpel tunnel syndrome. I had this happen too. What you need to do is take a break from any kind of clicking for at least a week. (Im assuming its your right hand, or which ever you are using to click your mouse)

Alternatives can be the pen and tablet as others mention. Another alternative, as silly as it may sound, are foot pedals that replace the left click + right click functions of your mouse. I've seen them before on sale on the net. They can be upwards to $100 for a pedal. You could use the pedals for a while to help alleviate pain. But what you really need to do is take a break from the clicking!

There are also those 'squishy' balls/sacks that you can squeeze periodically, and can be found at the sports section of your local department store. I'm not entirely sure if that can help provide some relief to carpel tunnel syndrome, but I thought I had read somewhere that it can provide some form of aid to your fingers.

But yeah, definitely sounds like carpel tunnel syndrome.

zardoz
08-22-2010, 05:08 PM
recently my left wrist started to hurt. I'm 35 now and this only happened recently. But I associate it when I'm modelling for a long time. My right hand (I'm right handed) is ok since I bought a wacom tablet but it used to hurt a lot too.
I started to give some credit to csi and the 'S' key for navigating. Modeler's Alt, Shift, Ctrl combination and photoshop's Alt, space, ctrl, shift did this for me. In xsi (wich I don't use) you navigate using the s key and I can see how it can help you.

Cohen
08-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Also could get a new mouse that fits your hand differently, one that will have you rotate your wrist differently to conform to the mouse. Also try change the fingers with which you are clicking. Rather than left clicking with index finger, use middel finger, and rather than right clicking with middle finger, use ring finger.

When I was experiencing some pian, I did all the above. I would just switch the mouse to a larger mouse of a different shape, that required my wrist to be oriented differently, and I alternated the fingers that I would use for clicking. I would alternate between the two different mouses every week or so.

By the way, this is common in 'compuda land.' One of my programming teachers would turn his mouse around 180 degress, and grab it with his left hand before going back to using it normally with his right hand! :D

Hopper
08-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Buddy tape that pinky. Just tape it to your index finger.
:eek: Yeah .. that'll leave a mark...

I know you really meant ring finger, but I had to at least take a few minutes and try to figure out how you would do that exactly... talk about REALLY uncomfortable using the mouse! lol Try to get your pinky to your index finger ... then try to grab the mouse. Trust me... hilarity will ensue. :D

codyburke610
08-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, I just went out and bought a new mouse pad, a hardish-squishy ball, and a 10 pound curling weight.

Ernest, how tight should I make the tape? I think I just need to get use to it

-Cody-

nickdigital
08-22-2010, 05:41 PM
:eek: Yeah .. that'll leave a mark...

I know you really meant ring finger, but I had to at least take a few minutes and try to figure out how you would do that exactly... talk about REALLY uncomfortable using the mouse! lol Try to get your pinky to your index finger ... then try to grab the mouse. Trust me... hilarity will ensue. :D

Oops...yeah ring finger. :foreheads

nickdigital
08-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, I just went out and bought a new mouse pad, a hardish-squishy ball, and a 10 pound curling weight.

Ernest, how tight should I make the tape? I think I just need to get use to it

-Cody-

Yeah it'll feel odd at first but you'll get used to it.

The idea is to get your pinky from just hovering out there. It's about breaking the subconscious pose/habit that you're in right now. Because even though it seems like your pinky is doing nothing just floating out there, it's actually being stressed cuz it is hanging out there whereas your other fingers are relaxed and supported by the mouse. So your muscles and nerves in that finger are being over worked and creating an imbalance in your hand. By buddy taping your other finger is gonna take the strain off of your pinky.

Don't tape it so tight that you're cutting circulation off...just wrap it loosely so your pinky is just brought in to the rest of your hand. What'll probably happen is that if it's loose enough, as you go back to working you'll probably feel your pinky start to drift and push against the tape/sleeve. That's just you reverting back to your old habit. So as long as your wrap keeps that pinky tucked in you'll be fine.

From there it'll just be a matter of you being more aware of what your hand/pinky is doing. I don't buddy tape anymore. When I use my mouse, it's in my head that I need to get my pinky into a relaxed pose.

nickdigital
08-22-2010, 05:56 PM
This is what I have at home/work.

http://www.amazon.com/Flents-Finger-Sleeves-Assorted-Sizes/dp/B000NLQ6J0

I use the larger size ones as they fit over two fingers. What's nice is that they're soft and comfy and easy to take on and off. It's good to take it off every now and then to give your pinky a chance to flex and stretch on it's own.

metahumanity
08-22-2010, 06:06 PM
1. 15-18 hours daily is insane. Cut it to 12 max
2. get a Wacom, not too small and not too big, throw away your mouse
3. donīt touch your computer for 10 days
4. go to a doctor, you most probably have something that can very well become chronic if untreated. Donīt take it lightly. .
5. Finger and hand gymnastics.

I've just been noticing it lately, but I'm on the computer using Lightwave for atleast 15-18hrs a day since coming to DAVE.

Out of no-where about a week ago my hand just started really hurting every time I would click, and now even when I am typing this. It's got to the point where when I am not on my computer and I'm just walking, my hand feels more comfortable conformed to the shape of an imaginary mouse, it even hurts when I text on my phone.

I just bought another mouse, lighter and easier to click and it helps a little, but I still have the pain.

I'm only 18, but have been in the whole video industry since elementary school, so is there anything I could do to relieve some of the tension on my fingers and wrist?

Thanks for any help
-Cody-

rezman
08-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. Make sure you have a supportive mousepad. You don't want your wrist in the air...it needs to be supported or there is a strain at the worse possible place. This is an excellent way to do this:
http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Black-Wrist-Microban-9175101/dp/B0009PD314/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282529536&sr=8-1

Jim_C
08-22-2010, 08:27 PM

Thanks for any help
-Cody-

Dude, you've got to get up and move. that pain hardly came 'out of nowhere'.

lack of physical activity will destroy your body and make you an old man quick.
When you are sitting at a computer for 18 hours straight the mouse you are using has nothing to do with it. Well.. not much at those extremes.

Set a timer. Get up and run around the house once an hour. Do jumping jacks for 10 minutes every two hours. Push ups every three. Stand up and bend over and work the computer for a few minutes now and then.. SOMETHING..
Just don't sit in one spot repeating the same (non) movements for so long. You will REALLy regret it, Even more than you already do.

oh.. and maybe try a trackball.. or plug one in with your mouse and switch it up now and then.

Movement, variety, activity, exercise... don't let yourself disintegrate, lock up or turn into a pile of goo.

Silkrooster
08-22-2010, 10:01 PM
If you are sitting for long hours you will end up with other issues as well. Back pain, knee pain, blood clots in the legs, lung, heart problems and so on.
Every 3 or 4 hours you need to get up and walk around. The squishy ball is great for the hand, but since you do have issues now, you need a wrist support and a visit to the doctor.
Exercising the hands will help:
Put your fingers against the side of the desk and push, this will help stretch the ligaments.
Make a fist and roll your wrist, this will also stretch the ligaments, but will also move the nerves.
Careful using weights as it can cause more harm. So if its hurting stop.

jasonwestmas
08-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Do you have a mouse pad with a wrist supporter? That got rid of all my pains.

TeZzy
08-23-2010, 02:16 AM
Get up at walk around every couple hours. I know alot of people think that working hard and not taking breaks will pay off....but trust me it can do things to you physically and mentally(note: this is from people I know and not me personally).

Matt
08-23-2010, 02:26 AM
I've switched over to a tablet these days, before I would use it occasionally, but I find it much easier on the wrist, and feels nicer to work with, more arty!

UltraViolet
08-23-2010, 02:48 AM
Mouse itself and how you use it is only a part of the problem.

Software is important as well ... This is what I did:

I fully stopped playing video games on PC (using mouse and keyboard to play games can be dangerous).

I switched to SILO (to minimize amount of clicks and mouse movements) to do all my modeling and UV mapping :D

cresshead
08-23-2010, 03:14 AM
1. get a good mouse if you need a mouse for anything that a pen can't handle.

in my humble opinion DO NOT use mice created by idiots where you have to hold it a certain way, do not use a super mouse or magic mouse or tiny travel mice..these mice may turn you into a cripple in days and last a lifetime.

2. use a graphics pen when you can and alternate between it and a good mouse.

3.hold a mouse properly...you hand should simply rest on it, no need to a death grip.

4.sit properly at your desk...search for diagrams on this...your forearm should be horizontal or near that...not upward or downward.

5.if this still persists you can also get usb footswitches for mouse button use if your job is heavy on button pushing such as cutting out shapes/mattes.

6.trackballs

7. trackpads

8. use macro's for repetative tasks...these can be created in many apps like photoplop, coreldraw, 3dsmax, lightwave and turn a long winded common task into a single click.

*Pete*
08-23-2010, 04:10 AM
sounds like overused, weak muscles are to blame.

The muscles become too tight, strangling some of the bloodflow and pressing on nerves and giving pain.

The solution is simple....less hours with computer, more hours at the gym or in other activities that strenghten the muscles and increase the flow of blood.

It is absolutely possible to be physically fit and to work with computers the same time....it is sad when people go to the extremes (extreme fitness is discusting too, if they dont care for education and learning).
In the end (sooner than you think) neglect of your health will start to become visible...

So, again....excersize, often as possible.

gerry_g
08-23-2010, 04:12 AM
surprised by all the people who are saying "all you need to do is hold the mouse properly". there is no proper way to hold a mouse, you wrist will always be twisted unnaturally through ninety degrees and flexing your finger to click the buttons in this position will inflict gross strain on the lineaments. Just fired up my new pooter for the first time this A.M, first thing I did was install the Wacom drivers, second thing I did was turn off the mouse, third thing I did was breath a sigh of relief.

-EsHrA-
08-23-2010, 04:59 AM
wacom

cresshead
08-23-2010, 06:05 AM
surprised by all the people who are saying "all you need to do is hold the mouse properly". there is no proper way to hold a mouse, you wrist will always be twisted unnaturally through ninety degrees and flexing your finger to click the buttons in this position will inflict gross strain on the lineaments. Just fired up my new pooter for the first time this A.M, first thing I did was install the Wacom drivers, second thing I did was turn off the mouse, third thing I did was breath a sigh of relief.

quite true, holding a mouse or a pen is an unnatrual act..we;ve not evolved to hold mice/pens as yet

my point was there are many people who hold a mouse/pen poorly and so do themselves no favours with long term use.
i'd also point out that people can get writers cramp so a pen is not the holy grail if you persist in holding that as poorly as you do a mouse.

Dexter2999
08-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Carpal Tunnel isn't about weak muscles (if that is what this is). It's about a myelin sheath around tendons being worn down exposing nerves. And you can't build them up.

Best you can do is try to keep a varied range of movement. And try to eliminate bends in your wrists while working. The Wacom is good for this because many artists actually tend to draw with their whole arm. (Not me but then I'm not a real artist.) Keep your wrist and elbow supported while working preferably as level and straight as possible.

Matt
08-23-2010, 09:15 AM
3.hold a mouse properly...you hand should simply rest on it, no need to a death grip.

This is how I HAVE to hold a mouse, resting my palm on it just doesn't work for my style.

there is no proper way to hold a mouse, you wrist will always be twisted unnaturally through ninety degrees and flexing your finger to click the buttons in this position will inflict gross strain on the lineaments.

Exactly right, because of this and the way I hold my mouse, a tablet just feels sooooooooooooo lovely, and doesn't strain my wrist at all!

jasonwestmas
08-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Like I said, if you have to use a mouse (for whatever the reason) you must have support under your wrist. At this point your hand SHOULD feel completely at ease when you slide it accross the pad (Mine does). I use a $70 logitech wireless laser mouse. I play mouse and keyboard games (occasionally) and I model/ surface a Crap Load. :D

Jim_C
08-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Anyone try working on a touch screen yet?

I see you can get an a 21" HP touchscreen for around $275.

http://img.youtube.com/vi/EHw6pzt9qRc/0.jpg

Laid at an angle like a drafting table and coupled with the Touch abilities of Win7...?

Think it would work?

calilifestyle
08-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Buy the Evoluent

codyburke610
08-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for all the help

So I've put my mouse to the side, got my wacom in full gear at the moment, but still very much so getting use to it, have taken a break for a little from LW, but we start zbrush today so no more break. I also have been exercising, and even got the the pool this morning for a swim.

Are there any vitamins I could possibly take too?

-Cody-

jasonwestmas
08-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Fish oil is great for your brain and concetration levels. Seafood in general is good for your nervous system unless it has a lot of mercury and other garbage in it. Getting plenty of Vitamin D (The Sun) is also very helpful for your mood and mental stability. Overall you should be concerned with things that improve your digestion like eating plenty of leafy greens and vegitables and whole grains; are things that are hard for some people to do.

codyburke610
08-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I'm a very picky eater, which is why I asked about the vitamins. I mainly live off anything you can throw in the microwave, and healthy food is also somewhat expensive for a kid in school. Would you recommend the fish oil vitamins, or calcium vitamins?

-Cody-

jasonwestmas
08-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I'm a very picky eater, which is why I asked about the vitamins. I mainly live off anything you can throw in the microwave, and healthy food is also somewhat expensive for a kid in school. Would you recommend the fish oil vitamins, or calcium vitamins?

-Cody-

Yeah green vegitables for example are indeed expensive, it's really lame that is the case. They are so important for good health.

But yeah, I highly recommend fish oil tablets. Calcium tablets are good if you have a lot of aches and pains after exercising or whatever. Dairy products in general take care of a lot of aches and pains. Yogurt is excellent for digestion. Don't underestimate the value of of good digestion. Try to avoid prepackaged foods and cheap deli meats because they have a lot of toxins/chemicals in them.

I tend to go by the philosophy of eating less in general but eating more natural foods. You may find that eating more natural foods in fact have more nutrients in them thus you won't have to eat as much. Foods that have been processed and cooked and/or fried to hell have far less nutrients in them. Therefore eating such things will give you the urge to eat more because your food intake is very mal-nurished and has garbage in it that your body has trouble processing thus making your energy levels crash on you. Not to mention cause a lot of other physiological problems later in life. For example, Galstones, not enough bile in your digestive track, liver problems. Less processed sugar in your diet will also help your energy level. Go for more natural sugars like honey, it's easier for your body to process thus helping your energy levels and your pocket book. Also try green tea with honey, it's a nice cafeinated beverage with detox properties.

It really is just a matter of keeping your energy levels up without reaching too much for the stimulants. Exercise can't do it alone. I used to exercise with a crappy diet, it doesn't help. =)

Oh and of course, keep drinking that water, that's an actual energy source.

Lewis
08-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Cody, forget what everyone says and go out and be more with girls. Girl(s) will help you more to go away from computer and pain will go away (at leas tin wrist ;)) since you won't have time to sit 15+ hours in front of PC ;) ;).

jasonwestmas
08-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Cody, forget what everyone says and go out and be more with girls. Girl(s) will help you more to go away from computer and pain will go away (at leas tin wrist ;)) since you won't have time to sit 15+ hours in front of PC ;) ;).

Well having a good social life is good for anyone's sanity. My advice is simply not to overcomplicate your life so you are unable to take care of your own well being. You're no good to anyone if your body and emotions are all wrecked to hell. :) Yes, I'm speaking from experience.

codyburke610
08-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Hahaha, Lewis. I guarantee my wrist problem is not caused by (THAT) scenario from being at the computer.:D I'm in somewhat of relationship now with my ex-girlfriend from back in Pennsylvania, she's coming to visit me in 2 weeks so I'm very excited for that, and it will definitely get me out and about from my computer.

-Cody-

Lewis
08-23-2010, 01:54 PM
she's coming to visit me in 2 weeks so I'm very excited for that, and it will definitely get me out and about from my computer.

See, problem solved ;).

Traveler
08-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Lets face it, there is not one tool in the world that will let you work 15+ hours each day without some form of penalty. A proper chair, a mouse tablet, they do not prevent RSI, they merely force you to sit straight (only if properly installed!) and to keep your hand in a more natural position.
Should you use them, yes of course! But do not expect that they take away the pain. There is only one remedy and that is rest, plenty of rest. Cut down to 8 hours a day while you're having these issues, that includes 5-10 minute breaks each hour. Avoid stressful situations as they tend to worsen the problem.

Mind you, you are still a young person looking at at least 45-50 years of employment. Don't mess up your body this early in life.

Oh, and one last thing, stay away of sex as it's been suggested to cause RSI (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/health/health/2817459/Sex-is-a-leading-cause-of-getting-RSI.html) as well ;)

gerry_g
08-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Excuse me but have used a tablet for ten years plus on a ten to twelve hours a day basis and have zero wrist problems, just as for the thirty years before that as an artist and a designer I had zero problem with a squeaker pen. Yet if I play a game using a keyboard I get pins and needles lasting aches and pains stiffness in the wrist etc. Some input devices such as keyboards and mice are bad for repetitive tasks and should mot be used as a primary means. This all comes down to two things cost of purchase and time taken to master the device this is the real reason people stick with mice.

Amurrell
08-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Like was said above by everyone else, you need to take more breaks and move around a bit. What's happening (like the others have said) is the beginning of carpal tunnel syndrome. Your tendons, vessels and nerves that go to your hand have to squeeze through the small area formed by the carpals on the anterior surface (palm side) of the wrist. Through repetitive stress, the synovial sheaths of your tendons are swelling and putting pressure on the medial nerve, and the synovial fluid that lubricates the tendon sheaths is being displaced so tendon and sheath are rubbing together.

Take breaks, stretch, move around, adjust your sitting. We even have a radiologist at work that wears a wrist brace to prevent his wrist from bending at weird angles and causing just the thing you're going through. They also have that Herman Miller chair mentioned before and it is sweet. Exercise helped me as well as stretching and taking breaks.

Oedo 808
08-23-2010, 08:22 PM
See, problem solved ;).

I would be wary of discouraging regular wrist exercise. ;)

stevenpalomino
08-23-2010, 09:40 PM
I heard that one of those trackball mice help with that. My brother-in-law had that problem and some professional suggested he buy that instead of a standard mouse. He also uses a tablet and alternates between the two.

nickdigital
08-23-2010, 10:00 PM

-Cody-

Find a used George Foreman grill. Those things are awesome.

Rayek
08-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Second the wacom. Holding a pen does not force your tendons in as much an unnatural position as a mouse. Move your entire arm, as opposed to only the hand. Also: get rid of those mouse pads - those things almost force the user to use their wrists to do the movements. Switch to your other hand at intervals.

And take regular breaks - walk outside, enjoy the birds, watch people, go to a movie, visit the library, meet up with friends for lunch. This not only forces you to rest your hands a bit, but works brilliantly for the mind and for your creativity.

If you have the money, a 3d mouse might help (wacom on the right, 3d navigator on the left).

Oh yeah, 15 hours is insane. That might help one or two days if you are on a deadline, but it's breaking your body. And research has shown that after a certain number of hours, our productivity goes down the drain anyway, and you have to catch up double on the missed sleeping hours, so... just don't.

A year ago I was forced to work almost 20 hours a day for a week (not my fault, my co-worker fell ill, so I had to do a two-men job). I actually worked for about 60 hours in three days, and did a Monday-Tuesday without any sleep. At the end of that week, you know what happened? My wife dragged me out of the house, and during our walk I actually slowly started to lose part of my vision. Within an hour I lost 50% on my right side - half blind.

After a visit to my family doctor, it turned out to be an issue with the eye muscles and visual system : if you keep focusing on a screen for that much time, including the stress, your visual system cannot keep up, and it just... collapses. It was a very "interesting" experience, and one I never want to experience again.

SO.... it's just not worth it. Life is more than keeping stuck behind a computer screen. And HELLO! You are ONLY 18!!! This should be a wake-up call. Go enjoy some sports, or something...!

Jim_C
08-24-2010, 01:17 AM
and healthy food is also somewhat expensive for a kid in school.

ohhh.. that is painful to hear.

It takes a little planning and a little more prep time but once you get good at it, eating healthy can be just as cheap as cheap eating.

Frozen veggies, rice, potatoes, cheaper cuts of meat, get a couple of buddies and hit the Costco/Sams, cook a meal for two and you have lunch for the next day...
Learn to use a Foreman and a toaster oven. Invest in a Brita filter and drink tap water or good old kool aid if you have to go sugar.

It's not easy to retrain your habits but you really will feel the difference and thank yourself.

Hundreds of web sites to help. this is the first one I came across and lookee at #9. :D
http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2007/07/30/16-ways-to-eat-healthy-while-keeping-it-cheap/

Chicks dig a guy who can cook also.

dont mean to sound preachy...