PDA

View Full Version : AVATAR and Rob POWER

THIBAULT
08-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Hello everyone,

Well, I just saw AVATAR for the second time and I think I'm lucky as a user of Lightwave know where my questions. Indeed, there is a bit all over the forums 3D "pub" for Rob Power and Lightwave and I'd like to know what are the shots that were created with Lightwave: Vehicles, trees, buildings, particles, and pehaps complete shots ?
Thank you in advance for the information ,after I can see those famous shots!

Danner
08-22-2010, 04:57 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105373&highlight=avatar

silviotoledo
08-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Only previsualization and concepts. No final rendering and no final modeling.

Anyway, there's a great artist called Jacques deFontaine wich works at WETA and uses lightwave and Modo a lot. I think he did a lot of models.

Sometimes, the studios do agreements with the software companies for don't publish the name of the other softwares. Autodesk does this a lot for marketing purposes.

I only imagine big companies let the great artists work with the tools he likes.

Lightwave was used to render the R2D2 entire sequence at ILM at STAR WARS feature because the artist wanted.

robertoortiz
08-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Lightwave was used to render the R2D2 entire sequence at ILM at STAR WARS feature because the artist wanted.

The irony is that Autodesk took credit for that shot in the SIGGRAPH reel for that year, simply becuase some support particle work had been done on the flying R2 unit for ONE of the rendering elements.

Titus
08-23-2010, 04:19 PM

It's the LW curse. What most people do with LW for feature films? spaceships and robots :devil:

robertoortiz
08-23-2010, 05:03 PM
I can see why LW has that rep, since it does that kind of work so well.
Anyway, the work that Lightwave did on Avatar involved a ton of creature work.

Silkrooster
08-23-2010, 10:47 PM
The funny part was Adobe took majority of the credit by stating they were the only software used for Avatar. I wish I could find the link...

NanoGator
08-24-2010, 10:22 PM
The funny part was Adobe took majority of the credit by stating they were the only software used for Avatar. I wish I could find the link...

Well... I have to admit, if I had to measure which app I had open for the longest amount of time on that show, it probably was Photoshop. )(Yes, even above MotionBuilder.) Loooooooots of texture work involved in Virtual Production.

Not saying that makes Adobe's statement true, but I wouldn't want to overlook their contribution.

Silkrooster
08-24-2010, 10:39 PM
I don't doubt their software contributed to the making of Avatar. I just found it funny that they made it sound like the entire movie was created in photoshop only.
But I also know that their statement could have been misinterpreted. Been there, done that, ya know...

robertoortiz
08-24-2010, 10:47 PM

You mean this link?
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/showcase/index.cfm?casestudyid=837897&event=casestudydetail&loc=en_us

NanoGator
08-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Eh... I'd say they're being clear about their contributions in that article.

tburbage
08-24-2010, 11:35 PM

I just read through the page and watched the video again, and my only takeaway was that a number of Adobe products were used in both pre-production and production. Given that Adobe doesn't have a 3D product in their stable, Landau's comments were a bit overblown, but we're used to hearing that in marketing stuff in the CG space. And they don't really talk about Weta's part of the production/post-production process at all. So like most blurbs about a film, TV show, or game production, Adobe -- or Autodesk -- or NewTek -- tell you about and magnify their part and just don't mention the others.

silviotoledo
08-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Lol! So FUNNY! Yeah, Photoshop is probably the most used software in all feature films :).
There is a THUNDERCATS fan trailler at web done with Photoshop without 3D! Amazing :)!