PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, 'www.lightwiki.com/Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling' does not exist or is not

Bigfeats
08-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Sorry, 'www.lightwiki.com/Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling' does not exist or is not available.

I am going to cry now...

I was half way through this awesome tut, but had to take a brake.
"4 RL stuff." When i tried last night it was gone.
I know the person who put it up is on here, but can not remember the name.
Anyone have a copy?:help:

nickdigital
08-22-2010, 11:41 AM
It looks like all of lightwiki is down. I'm sure once it comes back that tutorial will come back too.

JeffrySG
08-22-2010, 11:42 AM
I thought I had a copy. I can email Richard to see if he has a copy somewhere.

Bigfeats
08-22-2010, 12:34 PM
If it is only down I guess I can wait, but hold on to a copy just in case. That tut is awesome. :)

rkpdesign
08-22-2010, 12:42 PM
When in doubt, I go to:

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com

it's a great site that keeps me from wasting time.

Hopper
08-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Looks to be a little more than just down. The domain registration expired on the 18th of this month and doesn't seem to be renewed. There are also no servers answering on the last known IP address - All ICMP requests bounce.

Could be temporary, but who knows...

Anyone want LightWiki.com? lol

cagey5
08-22-2010, 01:35 PM
I think Lightwiki was largely maintained by Ben Vost [Beevee], so I guess it won't be coming back anytime soon.

lardbros
08-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Oh no.... this a sad day! I loved the Lightwiki!

MentalFish
08-22-2010, 07:56 PM
If Ben Vost says it is permanently down, then it will be cause for frustration. So instead of assuming the site is permanently down, assume it is having some technical problems and will be up again shortly :thumbsup:

Also, just to let you know, there has been talks of migrating to another server.

Sekhar
08-22-2010, 08:14 PM
When in doubt, I go to:

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com

it's a great site that keeps me from wasting time.

I typed in "http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com" in their box and got this:

"If you can see this page and still think we're down, it's just you."

I guess they get a lot of wise-guys like me. :D

Surrealist.
08-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Well, I am going to hope that the site will come back. Because it took me a long time to write all of that. And Ben even helped a little with those CC math images in the first part. He was also instrumental in inspiring me to keep going with it, and helped me learn the process of writing for the wiki. Unfortunately I did it all online and made no copies. I am sure I have all of the images of course. But the writing was all done online.

I will see if I can contact Ben and get some information.

In the mean time there is the Workshop thread in my sig, and I am happy to answer any questions or provide specific help.

allabulle
08-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Oh, man. Not the lightwiki!

Has anyone contacted VeeBee yet? Do we know if it's temporary?

Silkrooster
08-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Oh, man. Not the lightwiki!

Has anyone contacted VeeBee yet? Do we know if it's temporary?

Yeah, I sent a pm to Beevee. I haven't received a response yet.

Surrealist.
08-22-2010, 11:03 PM
I sent him and email and oops, it is a lightwiki address and it bounced back.

Hopefully he will answer the PM. Anyone have another email for him?

Perhaps someone at NT has his contact information - they are not affiliated with the site but it would be nice if they can help. Also I wonder if the files are backed up someplace should it be down for good and we could rally the troops to see about getting it up on another server if need be.

DogBoy
08-23-2010, 04:07 AM
He is aware of the problem, and will get onto it time permitting.

allabulle
08-23-2010, 04:16 AM
He is aware of the problem, and will get onto it time permitting.

I'm glad to read that. Thanks for the update.

I hope none of the info is lost.

Surrealist.
08-23-2010, 05:38 AM
Good news

Surrealist.
08-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Sorry, 'www.lightwiki.com/Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling' does not exist or is not available.

I am going to cry now...

Also know I am available to answer any questions. You can post them on the Workshop thread if you do come across anything you need clarified.

Hope it is up soon and good luck!

Sekhar
08-23-2010, 09:40 AM

I am going to cry now...

If you're desperate you could always read at least the text from Google Cache. If you didn't do this before: basically do a Google search and hit on the "Cache" link on the right.

JeffrySG
08-23-2010, 10:41 AM
If you're desperate you could always read at least the text from Google Cache. If you didn't do this before: basically do a Google search and hit on the "Cache" link on the right.

Yep, I did that already. All the text is there just in case. And if Richard has the images we can rebuild it if necessary too.

edit... actually it looks like there is only parts: 2,4,5,6,8 coming up.
just got part 1,3,7 and the 'uses' page from bing

geothefaust
08-23-2010, 11:14 AM
I also tried waybackmachine, no joy. Only loaded up some of the stuff. Only one page of the subdivision modeling portion is retained, "Creating Contour".

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.lightwiki.com/

Bigfeats
08-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the offer Surrealist.
Working in subpatch is something I need to conquer, and its going to be a long war. Somethings in lightwave I learned quickly, stuff I really need to know is slow going for some reason.

Thanks for the help guys.
"Salutes"

JeffrySG
08-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the offer Surrealist.
Working in subpatch is something I need to conquer, and its going to be a long war. Somethings in lightwave I learned quickly, stuff I really need to know is slow going for some reason.

Thanks for the help guys.
"Salutes"

Feel free to watch my subpatch video tutorials as well. They're free and I cover a few basic techniques.

http://www.pixelandpoly.com/video.html

Bigfeats
08-23-2010, 11:51 PM
JeffrySG
I did go through some of them and thank you sir they are very good indeed. I liked this one
Creating bottle / screw threads using subdivision surface modeling.

Thanks for taking the time to make those up for us.

allabulle
08-24-2010, 01:00 AM
Feel free to watch my subpatch video tutorials as well. They're free and I cover a few basic techniques.

http://www.pixelandpoly.com/video.html

Oh yes, yours are great too. I forgot about those. Thank you by the way.

Glendalough
08-24-2010, 04:57 AM
I've got these in original format and will post them later today.

Glendalough
08-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Here's a link:

Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling (http://jamespowersjr.com/jp-sr/Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling.zip)

JeffrySG
08-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Here's a link:

Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling (http://jamespowersjr.com/jp-sr/Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling.zip)

That's great! Cheers!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

wrench
08-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Hey all,

Yes, sorry the site's down right now and I haven't had the time to sort it. I will get to it as soon as I can, but obviously paid work comes first.

B

Silkrooster
08-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Hey all,

Yes, sorry the site's down right now and I haven't had the time to sort it. I will get to it as soon as I can, but obviously paid work comes first.

B

Do you have a new screen name?

wrench
08-26-2010, 02:06 AM
It's an old one actually, from my Amiga days, but yes BeeVee died with the job at NewTek. That account had moderator privileges, etc.

B

Silkrooster
08-26-2010, 02:25 AM
I didn't realize your job was done. sorry to hear that. As they say when one door closes another one opens.

allabulle
08-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Me neither. I didn't know you are no longer working for NewTek. Sorry to hear that too. I'm sure you'll be doing interesting things anyway.

Surrealist.
08-26-2010, 11:24 AM
I've got these in original format and will post them later today.

Thanks man! I've download it so I'll have it for future ref if need be.

JeffrySG
08-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Ok, it looks like the wiki is back up. :D

wrench
08-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Yay, hurray and hurrah and it only cost me $176 to do :( The site was hosted by Powweb for a time and although I closed my account with them ages ago because they were rubbish, they still held the domain details. That sum is for a 1-year domain renewal of $16 and $160 of getting the site back out of redemption, which is a period entered after the domain expires and the grace period for renewal expires too. And all because I was told several times it wouldn't expire until 8 July 2011... grr

B

JeffrySG
08-29-2010, 10:49 AM
^could you add some paid ads to the side to help pay for the costs? or some adsense ads?

wrench
08-29-2010, 10:53 AM
The banners that are on there are purely given to cool folk, and I don't really want any ads on there apart from those. There is a Donate button in the side menu for anyone that would like to help out.

B

lardbros
08-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Oh crap... that's pretty bad. Did you have any proof of them assuring you it wouldn't run out until that date? Stuff tends to be word of mouth, but I'm sure if you had a good case, you might be alright?

Anyway, thank god it's al back up and running... it's a great asset to our community! Now, where's that donate button?

wrench
08-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Unfortunately it was a case of miscommunication and chinese whispers so it's not any one person's fault, except perhaps mine for not assuring it for myself.

B

Silkrooster
08-29-2010, 10:27 PM
If you can't seem to get anywhere with them you are always welcome to use my wiki it isn't going anywhere.

Bigfeats
10-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks wrench.
I think i have good understanding of subpatch now after toiling over a anthromorphic wolfhead model. The only trouble I am having is cleaning up around the end of the lips where I um...Welded all the lose points into pile. :(
heh Worked good untill I hit TAB.

Surrealist.
11-17-2010, 11:55 PM
Seems the wiki site is down again.

wrench
11-18-2010, 02:50 AM
Yup it is at the moment, pending a move to a different server. :( The files are all copied over, just messing with the .htacess and DNS to do (when there's time).

B

allabulle
11-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Yup it is at the moment, pending a move to a different server. :( The files are all copied over, just messing with the .htacess and DNS to do (when there's time).

B

I'm glad to know it's just a hiccup. :--) Could you please post a note here when it's up again so we can skip checking randomly every now and then? Thanks in advance.

wrench
11-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Will do. Sorry it's taking so long, other things get in the way, as usual...

B

Giacomo99
12-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Just noting that I went to LightWiki today and it's still down. I'd like to communicate my desire to have it back up again...if there's anything I can do to help out, please let me know.

Surrealist.
02-18-2011, 07:05 PM
There was a thread on this but for what it is worth:

http://www.esaa-aquitaine.com/lightwiki/public_html/index.php?title=Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling

Lightwolf
02-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Will do. Sorry it's taking so long, other things get in the way, as usual...
You know whom to bug if need be...

Cheers,
Mike

wrench
02-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks all. Actually the DNS has been updated to the right servers but it's still not working - I guess it's a prob with the A record. Also, the backup used to restore the site is really old! From 2007 and I know I have a more recent one, but I need to have the time to put it in place... :(

B