PDA

View Full Version : No manuals anywhere for Newtek Live Text?

Monderoy
08-22-2010, 06:14 AM
For something that cost $995 you would AT LEAST expect some type of manual or documentation on the product.

NONE is provided and NONE can be found on the internet via google search.

Incredible. What? are we supposed to just figure it out?

Common Newtek, is it all about sales only? Where's the support?

Monderoy
08-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Sorry Newtek, but you have absolutely TERRIBLE customer service for your products. Everywhere on Newtek's pages are "buy, buy, buy" but VERY FEW (if any at all) documentation on every product sold.

$995 for the Live Text 2 and I can't find a manual or support anywhere!
What kind of business is that?

i installed the Live Text 2 on the Tricaster Broadcast, because I have no idea where it should be installed, and then later I try to install it on another computer, but it said I can't. The serial number is already registered.

What does that mean? I can only install it on 1 computer?

I'm in IT and I can not even imagine making a product without documentation or manuals.

This is just unbelievable!

SBowie
08-22-2010, 07:44 AM
This is just unbelievable!Indeed, it is. Thankfully, there's no need to believe it, since you are quite mistaken. I don't know whether or not a printed manual is still included with a boxed copy of LiveText or not. (I did get one with LT 1.0, back in the day). Regardless, the user guide is installed with the program, inside the Documentation folder, and there is a link to open it in the relevant Windows start menu.

As to the problem of your having installed it by mistake on the TriCaster:

I understand how frustrating it can be to run into issues. However, if I may speak candidly, one might assume that anyone purchasing and installing a thousand dollar application would have some rudimentary notion of its purpose; and - given that LT is primarily intended to serve as an upstream character generator to serve title pages to the TriCaster over a network connection from a second computer - it must be clear that one does not install it on the TriCaster.

The LT license agreement allows its installation on a single system (which is entirely adequate to fulfill LT's purpose), and it's in the nature of the software protection scheme to prevent multiple concurrent installations. Nevertheless, I am quite certain that if you call Customer Service (a toll-free call in North America) on a business day, they will cheerfully help you rectify your unfortunate mistake.

Finally, on the topic of customer service and support, NewTek has a very well deserved reputation for excellence, which I am sure many here will attest. In witness of that, here we are on a Sunday morning, responding to your situation in less than an hour, and Tech Support is open 7 days a week, as noted in the Customer Care links on the main website (although in this instance I think you need Customer Service, not TS).

ZachSchuster
08-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Electronic copy is available on your computer here:

Start>All Programs>Newtek>LiveText 2.0>Users Guide

Product information here: http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/livetext.php does say (although perhaps it should be in bold) that: "LiveText 2 runs independently on your laptop or computer communicating directly with the TriCaster" and "With the addition of LiveText 2 to your live production, a separate graphics operator can ensure the correct title is ready for display at all times and title updates can be incorporated on the fly."

Steve, maybe something to pass on to the development team... maybe the LT installer can check the Windows registry or something to see if the computer is a regular desktop as opposed to a Tricaster. If it is a Tricaster a notification window can pop up to indicate a warning that LiveText is not supposed to be installed on a Tricaster.

SBowie
08-22-2010, 08:33 AM
Steve, maybe something to pass on to the development team... maybe the LT installer can check the Windows registry or something to see if the computer is a regular desktop as opposed to a Tricaster.It's a thought, but several things mitigate against it. Among these is the fact that in the years since LT has been shipping, as far as I know, this has happened exactly once. (Also, fwiw, the main LiveText sales page states "LiveText 2 runs independently on your laptop or computer communicating directly with the TriCaster and provides scrolls, crawls, title pages and lower thirds to your live production or live web stream.")

On the topic of manuals, I do think that it might not be a bad idea for there to be support links for the various products from their individual web pages. That's a fairly common approach, and as is it now, the fact that one can locate the manuals on the ftp server seems a bit obscure. Likewise, there is some useful product info on the FAQ pages, but it's not directly linked to product pages in some cases at least.

Monderoy
08-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the reply,

After an investment which includes the Tricaster Broadcast, Tricaster VM, Data link and Live Text 2, I would say that we should have a customer service that helps in situations like these.

I purchased the Live Text 2 from a company in Finland and this came on a usb stick with the serial number attached.

On opening the folder there is only the exe file. No other files were visible such as help etc. Therefore, installing it on the Tricaster is a simple mistake that can be made by anyone, but it should be pointed out to the customer to avoid these situations.

The above messages were out of frustration but anyone who were in our position at the time would have felt the same way.

Tricaster is still the best broadcasting machine out there on the market, but there should be an improvement on issues such as these. EG, Do NOT install LT on the Tricaster for starters.

jcupp
08-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Steve, an insert with installation instructions (including a warning that it can be installed on only one machine) would be a good idea. We've had at least one customer make the same mistake as Monderoy and several others who installed on some random machine not the one that LT would eventually reside.

SBowie
08-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Steve, an insert with installation instructions (including a warning that it can be installed on only one machine) would be a good idea..I'm inclined to agree. AFAIK, similar inserts have been included with some of our products, and I'll pass this suggestion along to those who care for such matters (as you know, the USB approach is a relatively new on, and there may be some wrinkles to work out. I'm surprised that there isn't at least a readme on the stick).

treshawks
08-27-2010, 02:53 PM
At my place of employment the use of usb sticks are prohibited.

ZachSchuster
08-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Frankly, I'm a bit surprised by the USB sticks. My copy of LT2 arrived in a DVD style case, but inside was a USB stick. Is it really cost effective to distribute them by that means as opposed to a CD?

jcupp
08-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Lots of laptops don't have cd/dvd drives. They all have USB. Small flash drives in bulk are pretty cheap.

ASPN
09-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Where can I find some documentation on Datalink? We purchased LT2 directly from NewTek and we can't find any documentation on how to get it to work.

Any suggestions?

kltv
09-02-2010, 09:56 PM
NewTek puts all the documentation on their FTP site. ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub

The old Datalink manuals are still there as well as the new LiveText 2 manual. DataLink features in LiveText 2 start on page 35.

Kris

SBowie
09-03-2010, 04:58 AM
Just to mention it, the LT2 manual is installed with the software, and available from the Windows Start menu (standalone ver.) or the TCXD Help menu in the Startup screen.