PDA

View Full Version : LightWave to Max

stevenpalomino
08-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Hey all,

I'm working on a project and I was wondering if anyone had experience transferring objects from LW to Max. Not animated, just textured. What would be the best way to transfer all the objects without losing any of the UVs/shaders, etc?

Cougar12dk
08-22-2010, 12:36 AM
I am not at all into Max, but I suspect saving as .dxf?

stevenpalomino
08-22-2010, 12:46 AM
I did find this video (http://vimeo.com/5234712) about exporting as .obj to maya but I didn't know if..
A) It would be the same as Max. and..
B) The .obj would actually carry things like diffuse, spec, occ, etc.

Is there a format that actually does all that?

stevenpalomino
08-22-2010, 12:47 AM
Never heard of .dxf though.. will that save all the information to the geometry?

Cougar12dk
08-22-2010, 12:50 AM
How about FBX or Collada then?
Aren't they supposed to be interchangeable formats?

stevenpalomino
08-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Yeah I heard FBX and Collada were great at interchanging between different 3d apps.. anyone know if they actually export spec, diffuse, etc.?

stevenpalomino
08-22-2010, 02:02 AM
Sounds like it would transfer it over. I was hoping someone knew and could save me some time but I guess i'll just have to run some tests and report back. But from the description it looks like it should be fine.

Elmar Moelzer
08-22-2010, 09:11 AM
I usually use *obj files to transfer objects between LW and MAX. The nice thing is that obj supports ngons. I never had any problems with using this format and we get contracted with a lot of modeling jobs from a nearby MAX house.

Matt
08-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Speaking of OBJ, I've noticed whenever I import OBJs into LW the basic shading attributes always seem odd, for example it will have Luminosity on 100%, anyone know if it's LightWave's import or the exported file at fault?

Elmar Moelzer
08-22-2010, 12:28 PM
It could just be an incompatibility between the way these attributes are working in the different apps, or maybe they dont even have this attribute...

hunter
08-23-2010, 01:13 PM
There are scale issues with obj. Textures and scale come across from LW to max using fbx. Fbx is better imo.

Titus
08-23-2010, 07:41 PM
I've found shading issues while importing OBJs like Matt said. A 70% diffusion in Max is like a 150% in LW.

zardoz
08-23-2010, 07:48 PM
I usually only have to export the mesh plus the uvs, so .obj is great for that.
simply export obj and in the color (texture panel) add the uv map.
the scale issues in max are related to the inches/meters conversion so usually what you have to do is in max scale your object 39.37. The newer versions of max have a great obj importer that does that for you. it's the same as in this page http://www.guruware.at/main/objio/index.html

donlimpio
08-25-2010, 04:46 AM
Maybe I missed some important info, but isn't the regular 3DS export a great way to get objects from LW into MAX?

Thomas

donlimpio
08-25-2010, 04:50 AM
Okay, I should have read the thread: I see that you want the shaders transferred as well. To be honest, I wouldn't even dream of being able to do that. Different software = different shader models, different procedurals etc.. - unless the different packages render out using the same render engine like mentalray of Vray, but even then...

zardoz
08-25-2010, 07:26 AM
forget the transfer of shaders from lw to max. They are really diferent and won't be transfered. Actually the obj format transfers some of the properties like the values for diffuse, specular, transparency, etc, but usually are completely wrong.
obj transfers the mesh (as it is) with the same type of polygons, quads, tris, etc and the uvmap (only one) if you apply the uv in some surface property like the color.
3ds is really bad because it only transfers the mesh and in tris. Ah, and it has a limit on the polygon count too, if I'm not mistaken.

Elmar Moelzer
08-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Yepp, 3ds ist limited to tris and 65k vertices or polys, not sure anymore.