PDA

View Full Version : Radial Arry in Layout - HELP!

Lewis
08-20-2010, 02:22 AM
Hi there !

I need to find way how to use radial array in layout to clone lights (Photometric/IES).

I usually use one very old (but great) plugin called LOCO and it works perfect when i can use it but it's 32bit only and i can't use it on bigger scenes (uses more than 4GB) so it's problem. Then i got this new FamilyCloneGN plugin from one LWuser (thanks man ;)) and it looked like solution of all problems since it's LSCript so it works in 32bit and 64bit just fine. But eventually it proved to not be a solution since it's not arraying as LOCO and lights rotation is not cloned :(.

Please check this video to see what's the problem (this is simple scene just as prof of concept, real ones are much more dense but same idea).
http://www.lewis.tomsoft.hr/temp/LW/Loco_vs_FCG.mov

- I can't use light targeting (to target light to null) because IES lights aren't working with light targeting so that's off as solution.

Any ideas how to solve this without going into modeler and making Luxigons. I need to array/clone too many lights and change their positions very ofter and array again and so on and by that luxigons aren't solution here.

nickdigital
08-20-2010, 03:05 AM
Have you tried this one?
http://earthwormjim.free.fr/lscript/layout/arrlay/index.html

The other hack work around would be to still use your LOCO one in a stripped down 32bit version of your scene and do LoadItemsFromeScene into your 64bit one. Does mean a lot of back and forth though. :grumpy:

Found more:
http://flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1413
http://flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1284

Lewis
08-20-2010, 04:19 AM
Earthwork plugin don't have "reference item" which i really need since lot of times object around what I'm arraying ain't in center of world so i use nulls for that.

FB_array_clone don't work either (tested before I posted but didn't write that in post :)).

This is basically some of setups where I use it (this is older scene which "fits" in 4GB limit of Lw 32 on 64bit machine).
http://www.lewis.tomsoft.hr/temp/LW/Loco.rar

I need to check Eki's plug pack if i find where to download files :).

thanks

Lewis
08-20-2010, 05:47 AM
Nope Eki's ArrLay.ls aslo don't have reference item :(.

nickdigital
08-20-2010, 08:39 AM
D'oh!

Maybe you can reach out to the LOCO developer and really push for a 64bit version.

Or ask the developer's of the other scripts if they can add what you need.

Lewis
08-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Yep, that was my first idea few weeks ago but didn't get any reply form him. Maybe it's SPAM filter.

his old page got down but new on is here http://www.kevinmacphail.com/index.html which is not updated 2+ years either :(.

nickdigital
08-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Wish I new LScript...it's nice that they're LScript files cuz you can just open them up in text editor.

Maybe one of our resident LScript guru's can modify one of the existing ones. :help:

Lewis
08-20-2010, 08:58 AM
yeah Lscript anyway work in 32/64 so it' snot a big deal but usually real plugins *.p have more options/controls but have this 64/32 problem :(.

nickdigital
08-20-2010, 09:22 AM
yeah Lscript anyway work in 32/64 so it' snot a big deal but usually real plugins *.p have more options/controls but have this 64/32 problem :(.

I hear ya. You're preaching to the choir at this point. :)

Good luck with this.

iain_r
08-24-2010, 06:53 AM
Hi,

This is just a piece of lscript, it may do what you want, basic idea of select a light and target.

Regards

Iain.

iain_r
08-24-2010, 06:56 AM
Didn't attach file, trying again.

Lewis
08-24-2010, 06:57 AM
Thanks Iain_r but can you say more what "lscript" you are talking about :)?

cheers

EDIT: got it now, thx, I'll test now :)

Lewis
08-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Ahh sorry but it's not working :(. It's working actually but that's not what's LOCO doing, i cloned one light from default LW scene 10 times and target item was camera but it just locked out my lights form any rotations ('coz they now move/rotate with camera/target) and it's totally off position and it didn't include default light in calculation which stayed at it's original position :(.

But thanks for trying :).

I got this:

iain_r
08-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Lewis,
Thanks for testing, I need to see about removing the target after the position and rotation have been set but keep it looking at the target. It uses the target as the centre for any rotation. I could have a look at changing this to have some co-ordinate input instead.

Regards

Iain.

iain_r
08-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Hi Lewis,

Had a quick look, I need to work out how to determine which quadrant the target is in compared to the light so that I can caculate when to add and subtract the various co-ordinates. I can manually remove a target but can't seem to get it to work in a script at the moment without it reverting to its orginal rotation. I've tried creating keys but that doesn't work at the moment. I'll keep trying as I now want to see this working.

Regards

Iain.

Lewis
08-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Thank you for trying :). While you are on subject take notice that it should take selected (arrayed) light/item also in to account and make it be part of 10 new arrayed light or better to say 1+9=10 instead 10 totally new like now ;). If possible of course.

Thanks one more time.

MooseDog
08-24-2010, 07:11 PM
what's old is new :)

remembered this old plug-in from, if i remember right, the lw7 or 9 days, called lighter.

see screenie for settings, looks like what you're looking for.

cool thing is that the script creates a null that the lights are parented to, yet they remain target at what you specify.

Lewis
08-25-2010, 01:37 AM
Thanks for find MooseDog but nope that's not it, it also targets all lights to null so they are moving with it (i want them to be free) and it clears/reloads scene + it's not recognizing Photometric lights probably 'coz it's very old and Photometric in LW didn't exist back then)

Try Loco to see difference - It's not just for lights you can clone/array any item like Camera for instance and make Matrix Bullet effect by ton's of cameras around object ;). you can even delete reference object after arraying and all items will stay untact with position/rotation 'coz they are FREE after running plugin, not targeted/parented to anything.

Thanks anyway it's good catch/plugin anyway ;).

iain_r
08-25-2010, 06:52 AM
Hi Lewis,

Think I have got the look at target working, no parenting. Have an issue with position when rotating round the Z axis but I think that Y and X are okay.

Let me know if this is okay.

Regards

Iain.

Lewis
08-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Hehe it's much better, takes selected light into account also, it's not parented/targeted to "target item" which is great but it starts in Debug mode (attachment) so i need to hit Debug/continue to make it work and it has one problem, it resets rotation of light and point it to target object :). let's say i want that my light looks 180 on "B" and array it around camera, this one will array it just fine but all lights will look at camera which is not good since it destroys light rotation angles :(.

Basically i think that problem is in Targeting. LOCO isn't using "target item" he use "reference item" and probably just reads it's position and then array lights according to that x,y,z value in world space :). Also in LOCO you can array any item not just light ;).

I'll make new video with sound to demonstrate problem better.

But man thanks for trying this is LW community at it's best :bowdown:

iain_r
08-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Hi Lewis,

Updated to only change the heading, can select any object, and removed the debug.

Regards

Iain.

Lewis
08-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Ian, this is very, very close, almost there :). Works great for light on few tests i've done (need to test more) but messes up something on camera. It's great that now it's ITEM array not just light ;) ;).

Thanks i'll save video tonight to show my results ;)

Lewis
08-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Hi again !

Ok i tested it more now and it seems like it's gonna work but eventually when i put it in more complex scene then it didn't work :(.

Iain_r Here is video comparison/test (with my weird sounds ;)) between LOCO and your nice Lscript.
http://www.lewis.tomsoft.hr/temp/LW/Loco_arraying.rar (it's H264 codec)

iain_r
08-26-2010, 03:06 AM
Hi Lewis,

Thanks for the video, I found the issue with the camera when I did test of my own last night, it was how I was calculating the Y position. Anything above the source got extra height. I'll work on the light ration stuff and I'll try and build a test scene. I've not used IES lights before so I'll need to figure out how to set them up.

Regards

Iain.

Lewis
08-26-2010, 03:13 AM
If is going to help i can send you one easy IES scene for testing :)?

iain_r
08-26-2010, 03:49 AM
Hi Lewis,

That would be great, I don't have any IES files and just looked at the panel when selecting photometric lights there are some angle options. Having a look through the SDK to see if there is anything in there that will help.

Regards

Iain.

Lewis
08-26-2010, 04:03 AM
Don't worry about those options in Photometric files, those are just for that quick rendering window, not for actual position in scene ;)).

I'll make you one test scene now and bring it here in few minutes.

Lewis
08-26-2010, 04:35 AM
Ok here is IES scene with almost same setup like in that video. I just removed excess part of model and textures and leaved only roof tower light ready for array which needs to be arrayed 8 times (total including starting one) - just like in video.

Let me know is this working for you :).

cheers

iain_r
08-26-2010, 04:43 AM
Hi Lewis,

Thanks, try this script.

Regards

Iain.

Lewis
08-26-2010, 04:50 AM
Huh that was FAST, this one worked great for tower and it's passing Camera clone test perfectly also :).

I'll test more but so far so good :).

Now one stupid question, can you make it array straight/square also ? so it's "regular array" not just radial :).

Thank you so much, if you need beta tester for anything let me know ;).

iain_r
08-26-2010, 05:10 AM
Hi Lewis,

I need to think about that, I need to work out the maths, plus work out how many per side, give other options and see about setting limits. I'll have ago and let you know when I have something available.

I've making a little addition in that you can either look at the target or just maintain the heading. Makes it more general, not in the script I sent you.

Regards

Iain.

Lewis
08-26-2010, 05:16 AM
Sounds great man, thank you very much :).

iain_r
08-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Hi Lewis,

Ok you should now be able to select either a radial array, with the look at option, and create an array in the X, Y , Z axis also multidimensional arrays.

There is no jitter or random rotation function.

Regards

Iain.

Lewis
08-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Wow man this is become real beast :). Excellent work, works like charm and very fast.

Thank you very much.