PDA

View Full Version : Creating a good surface for a sword blade?

adaminator1
08-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Hey guys, I'm here with yet another question: How can I create a good sword blade surface that actually looks like a blade? Like, with the right reflection and specular and whatnot. Anyone got any tips?

Thanks,
The Adaminator

jameswillmott
08-19-2010, 10:08 PM
I'd go for a blurry reflection, not a full 100% reflective though, and give it something to reflect. Nicks and dents in the surface will help cue the viewer that they are looking at a sword blade instead of a mirror too.

adaminator1
08-19-2010, 10:47 PM
I'd go for a blurry reflection, not a full 100% reflective though, and give it something to reflect. Nicks and dents in the surface will help cue the viewer that they are looking at a sword blade instead of a mirror too.

Thanks for the info! This is what I have so far.

http://i36.tinypic.com/ok7n8m.jpg

What should I do to improve it?

jameswillmott
08-20-2010, 12:35 AM
If you look at how a sword is sharpened you can normally see a sharp edge between the cutting part of the blade ( the wedge shaped bit in crosssection) and the back. That will help break up the uniform surface you have now a little.

Best bet is to find an online reference ( or a real blade ) and scrutinise it carefully, I'm only guessing at the moment.

prometheus
08-20-2010, 02:22 AM
what type of sword is it?

looks like some kind of urukai sword, but those are mostly also very dirty, and not so reflective.

highlander reference should have quite some sword references:)

you could also try using conductor, give some very slight bump, use
a little reflection bluring.

Remember to use raytrace reflection, and if you use an image map,set your environment map to raytrace and spherical map, or depending on if you use textured environment or imageworld or skytracer, use raytrace and backdrop.

also check preset central for some metal presets.

Michael