PDA

View Full Version : adding detail to a spaceship.

SonicN2O
08-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Hi I am a HUGE fan of the TV show Babylon 5, which was one of the first to use CG (piticularly LightWave) for the SFX. and as I look at the detail of the models/meshes, I'mm stunned at how they can add detail at a minute level like that, so if anyone could give me some methods on how to add detail to a spaceship (Pipes, random boxes, etc.) i'd be much obliged.

nickdigital
08-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Either add the nurnies (that's what detail like that are called) by hand or invest in a plug-in like Quadpanels.

http://liberty3d.com/

You could also try this:
http://flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=2156

Quadpanels is the latest and greatest though. The developer is on the forums a lot and looks to be adding new stuff really quickly.

SonicN2O
08-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Ok. I'll try them later. any other suggestions would help.

Trulsi
08-21-2010, 08:11 AM
In the original B5 there really wasn't very much modeled detail, instead they used texture maps to give the impression of detail. When they zoom in to those (as they do in a few scenes, for example in the intro where they zoom in on C&C) you can see that it's not real detail.

I'm also very much a fan of B5, sometimes I wished I could live in that universe;) I don't think the effects hold up very well anymore though. It would be absolutely great to have the show in hi-def (it was shot on 35mm film) with re-done effects.

EDIT: You ask for tips on creating the detail for real. And that's what you should do, of course:) Then it will look better than B5 did, and you will get a lot of practice modelling. I find www.foundation3d.com to be nurnie heaven! Some of the people in there have made the most fantastic high-detail models. You should join up and have a look at their work.

JamesCurtis
08-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Second that Foundation3D recommendation.

gordonrobb
08-21-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm fairly sure there are some tutorials over there for it too.

Marshun
08-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi I am a HUGE fan of the TV show Babylon 5, which was one of the first to use CG (piticularly LightWave) for the SFX. and as I look at the detail of the models/meshes, I'mm stunned at how they can add detail at a minute level like that, so if anyone could give me some methods on how to add detail to a spaceship (Pipes, random boxes, etc.) i'd be much obliged. Wow SonicN20, you took the request right out of my brain. I've been trying to figure out how to convincingly place irregularities all over what ever all model surfaces as I think this is really required if you want to get a realistic rendering that occurs in reality. Guess that's why it's called virtual reallity? Probably not but I'm glad you put your question up. I just purchased that quadpanels 1.5 plugin. Thank you Nick Digital and thank you SonicN2O. It's time to render.

JeffrySG
08-21-2010, 07:14 PM
scifi-meshes.com is also a great place to read up on detailing. Some good tutorials and you can do a WIP there to get some assistance.

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?71-3D-Education-and-Requests

SonicN2O
08-21-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm also very much a fan of B5, sometimes I wished I could live in that universe;).

@Trulsi
I'm making a Babylon 5 social group called Babylon 5 fanatics. you should join.

jameswillmott
08-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Quadpanels is the latest and greatest though. The developer is on the forums a lot and looks to be adding new stuff really quickly.

nickdigital
08-21-2010, 10:18 PM

:thumbsup:
I wish we did work that justified purchasing your plug-in. It looks very cool.

Trulsi
08-22-2010, 02:51 AM
@Trulsi
I'm making a Babylon 5 social group called Babylon 5 fanatics. you should join.

Haha cool, I guess I am one:D Thanks, I have signed up!

SonicN2O
08-22-2010, 05:04 PM
I took a look at foundation3d.com and I found lots of cool goodies, but not the "nurnie heaven" you described. Isn't there a plugin that automatically adds nurnies?

nickdigital
08-22-2010, 05:51 PM
I took a look at foundation3d.com and I found lots of cool goodies, but not the "nurnie heaven" you described. Isn't there a plugin that automatically adds nurnies?

Look at the plug-ins in my first response.

SonicN2O
08-27-2010, 05:36 PM
I've tried the Greeble-nurnies Plugin, and It's working. thanks.