PDA

View Full Version : XD850 and LiveSets and FrameBuffers

bob anderson
08-19-2010, 03:40 PM
In the standard def TriCasters you had the ability to select a different graphic from the CG as a "burn in" on each camera. I've got a gig coming up where each of 7 cameras needs to have a different "camera identifier logo thingy" constantly keyed over the image. I don't see a way to do this on the TCXD models. Obviously you can key an image on a shot, but they need to switch as the cameras switch, and in the TCXDs you use the DSK and the stills or titles, meaning you can really only use one Image.

I know this could be done with a "live set" that's really only an image alpha-ed over the camera shot, but this will be a big pain in the rear, as I might not receive the graphics until the morning of the event.

I've read what NewTek sent out about the "FrameBuffer" feature, but it seems this only works on the virtual inputs. I'd prefer it worked like the SD TriCasters did.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Bob Anderson

Paul Lara
08-19-2010, 04:55 PM
I think you'll need to lock the bugs in using the virtual inputs, Bob.

SBowie
08-19-2010, 05:27 PM
In the standard def TriCasters you had the ability to select a different graphic from the CG as a "burn in" on each camera.Unless I'm missing your point somehow, in SD model TriCasters the only way to 'burn a graphic in' involved putting it in the foreground of a (pre-compiled) Liveset assigned to the input. (Apart from that, you have to rely on the single Overlay/DSK channel.)

I've got a gig coming up where each of 7 cameras needs to have a different "camera identifier logo thingy" constantly keyed over the image. I don't see a way to do this on the TCXD models.To me, a TCXD850 would be perfect for this. Each virtual input can have its own Frame Buffer, assigned in the VI Overlay channel (leaving the two primary Overlay channels free for other duties). And they can be updated from multiple sources (including external ones) practically instantly - or quickly replaced with a completely different file.

You've got 8 Virtual Inputs, which is plenty already, and if you need extras, you've effectively got them by virtue of the single-click VI preset bins.

I've read what NewTek sent out about the "FrameBuffer" feature, but it seems this only works on the virtual inputs. I'd prefer it worked like the SD TriCasters did.Honestly, Bob, that can only be because you've never seen how 850 handles this.

The frame buffers are completely independent of the DDRs, so you don't ever have to worry about which playlist item is currently selected when you switch to a Virtual Input. There is simply no aspect of this in which TCXD850 does not provide much better utility than the approach in use on the TCSD models.

bob anderson
08-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Honestly, Bob, that can only be because you've never seen how 850 handles this.

I do, in fact (mostly) understand this. My issue is that framebuffers can only be applied to the v 1-8 inputs, whereas on the SD models they were on the regular inputs. This is a result of the fact that you didn't have virtual inputs, and the LiveSets were applied directly to the actual inputs.

I'll be working with a director and they won't be able to see the preview/program talleys, etc. I can hit v1 rather than 1, this is no big deal. I'm more concerned that the director might get confused, as the multiview monitor doesn't show the virtual inputs, nor does the LC-11 work with them.

I hope this makes sense.

Bob Anderson

SBowie
08-19-2010, 07:40 PM
I can hit v1 rather than 1, this is no big deal. I'm more concerned that the director might get confused, as the multiview monitor doesn't show the virtual inputs ... (snip) Remember, you can't see LiveSets on the individual input monitors on TCSD systems either. Only Preview and Program monitors show the LiveSet.

And - it's exactly the same for TCXD ... except that TCXD allows you to put nice big Program and Preview displays up on the Multiview monitor (which TCSD doesn't permit), in several different layouts to boot.

... nor does the LC-11 work with them.Sure it does. It's not a perfect solution, but it works:

(re: TCXD850)

"The eleven buttons in each row on LC-11 operate the corresponding Switcher row buttons, in order. Then, counting begins again at the left-most button in the corresponding rows. All eleven buttons have optional functions to accommodate the additional buttons in the onscreen Switcher rows. Hold ALT while pressing the first button to select DDR 2 , ALT plus the second button for Still, and so-on."

In other words, hold down Alt while pressing the (main row) button 4 to Switch to V1, 5 for V2, etc. up to V8 (Alt + the last button). Set them up on Preview first, naturally - for confidence, and to let the director see it coming.

jcupp
08-20-2010, 11:18 AM
I'd like to see an option to re-assign the inputs like the VT allows. So that one could move the virtual inputs to 1-8 and relegate the normal inputs to the right end of the switcher etc. That way the TD could arrange the switcher so that the inputs he was actually using were grouped together.\

Monitoring the virtual inputs would be nice also.

SBowie
08-20-2010, 11:30 AM
I'd like to see an option to re-assign the inputs like the VT allows.Interesting notion ...

Monitoring the virtual inputs would be nice also.Not 'inexpensive', resource-wise though; that would effectively mean handling as many as 12 more live HD video streams through to monitoring simultaneously at any given moment. I'm really not sure how do-able that is.

bob anderson
08-20-2010, 05:14 PM
I'll get buy switching on the V 1-8 on screen buttons. I did a little test using the Frame Buffers and 8 different icons and it works great.

But this brings up another question. Once you've assigned a Frame Buffer to an input, how do you turn it off?

Bob Anderson

SBowie
08-20-2010, 06:45 PM
But this brings up another question. Once you've assigned a Frame Buffer to an input, how do you turn it off?The Virtual Input tabs allow you to transition their individual overlay channels on and off. (There aren't any hotkeys for that, come to think of it. Probably should be ...)

pro---studio
08-21-2010, 04:28 AM
In alternative you could switch from the virtual input to the corresponding camera input that has no overlay.