PDA

View Full Version : My Take on Carnera’s Character Modeling DVD

WilliamVaughan
09-18-2003, 08:12 AM
My Take on Carnera’s Character Modeling DVD

My copy of Carnera 3D’s Character Modeling DVD arrived yesterday and I had a chance to watch it late last night. Let me start off by saying….HOLY CRAP THIS ROCKS!

Andras Kavalecz has created an amazing DVD that teaches you how to create a complete character from the very first Polygon all the way to the final character. When I say final character I mean Head, Body, Gloves, Clothing, Hair, and even a killer Gun! It comes in at about 165 minutes long and will keep you entertained with great tips and tricks on handling LW’s standard toolset.

I really enjoyed watching Andras work as he has a different way of modeling in some areas then I do and I learned quite a few techniques that I plan on using on my next character model. It was a real treat that the session also covers creating hair with Saslight…and it’s killer looking hair.

The Bar is raised on Training Material! Not only did the DVD contain killer tips and Tricks (as most training material does) the production quality of the DVD was hands down the best I’ve seen. The Quality of the recording is top notch( I would love to get my hands on whatever he used to capture himself working gin LW), also had great audio. Something that really stood out to me and set this DVD apart from the others was the fantastic job on the DVD authoring side with beautiful menus and music that reminded me of the same quality I get on some of my favorite movies. Oh…and did I mention that the DVD is in English and Deutsch.

Another cool “extra” that I really enjoyed was the Interview with Andras that was on the DVD. I think that should become standard on Training DVD’s as it was a nice touch and a great idea. I was a bit worried he might get in an accident as he was driving and being interviewed at the same time.

I would definitely suggest that everyone that is interested in Character Modeling in LightWave beginner or advanced grab a copy of this killer DVD. A big thanx goes out to Andras for taking the time to put together a top notch DVD.

related link:
http://www.mba-studios.de/

DarkLight
09-18-2003, 09:25 AM
I've got my copy, but I've not had time to watch it yet. I sat down and watched the first 10 minutes and it looks like a fantastic tutorial.

I'm really looking forward to sitting down a working through this :D

Beamtracer
09-18-2003, 03:41 PM
What a glowing review! 2 hours and 45 minutes is a pretty quick model.

I've seen SplineGod's tutorials, which are good, though I might buy this one as well to check out the different techniques, as Proton mentions.

Originally posted by proton
[B]Oh…and did I mention that the DVD is in English and Deutsch.I can use the same disk to practice my German speaking!

robinson
09-18-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer

I can use the same disk to practice my German speaking!

Dabei möchte ich dir viel glück wünschen.
Ich sollte diese DVD bestellen um Englisch zu lernen.
Schöne grüße aus Berlin !!!

Bis bald Robinson:D

battery555
09-19-2003, 08:40 AM
excuse me proton, i'm totolly new to CA and wish to purchase a tutorial DVD. just a question here, which will be a better buy compare to CA tutorial dvd from desktopimages & Carnera’s Character Modeling DVD. thanks a million:p

WCameron
09-20-2003, 07:45 AM
first you need to draw a distinction between Character _Animation_ and Character _Modeling_.
The Carnera dvd is just modeling (mine hasnt arrived yet - oh wait did I even order it yet? sigh .. memory gone ... er what was I saying?)

from what Ive seen of the Todd Grimes dvds (videos actually)
they seem pretty good, if you can afford the entire 5 tape (disk) set. Looks like they cover the entire basis in one (very expensive unless you you got the cash) swoop.

however, on a shoestring budget, I think you could get by with
the Carnera DVD and learn how to model, then later get an animation specific disk (and I'm sure given the time THEY will
come out woth a Texturing and Animation disk (I Hope)) - or just get buy with online tutorials on rigging and animating, or maybe Tim Albees Character Animation book (which is about 40 bucks US).

sorry, I thnk I'm rambling a bit. heh

- Will.
(not to mention employing my own special brand of spelling!)

battery555
09-21-2003, 09:41 AM
hey thanks WCameron!
i'm fairly comfortable w my modeling skill now, though i can't do it like professional still. certainly cash is a concern & that is why i want value for money. my feel is more towards getting Todd Grimes dvd but just couldn't view his sample movies. i use MAC, WMV movie is not viewable. :mad: