PDA

View Full Version : Looking for LiveText 2 & Datalink Answers...

cameraman91569
08-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Here's what I want to do:

During the game, I want to go out to the web and pull scores from a site that specializes in high school sports, called CoachT.com. I have permission, the administrator is actually my webmaster as well, and he's willing to write me up some XML code if I knew what I wanted.

He wrote some for a SIMPLE crawl of scores, but then I have to drop all my other graphics and I use Kris Gurrard's scoreboard and hate to drop all that to run the crawl.

What i want is scores from JUST our viewing area and I'd like to display them ONE PAGE at a time. So in other words, I'd have my scorebar at the top of the screen and a scorebox on the lower left with my sponsor bug in the right corners.

What is the best way to go about this? I'm so new to Datalink and all that stuff so I'm looking for some answers on the best way to pull it in.

THEN I need to be able to pull in data from an Excel spreadsheet too...any advice on that?

Or maybe pulling some stats from a stat program???

I can see uses for Datalink...if I knew how to operate it!!!

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!!! :thumbsup:

voli1234
08-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Agreed. Newtek needs to come out with a tutorial on Datalink

cameraman91569
08-20-2010, 10:15 AM
One that can be understood! Very vague with current manual.

SBowie
08-20-2010, 10:45 AM
One that can be understood! Very vague with current manual.I'd also love more on the database functions in particular ... but I doubt it can be expected that the manual will ever get into a lot more depth than it does. It's never going to be possible to document all of the configuration and syntax involved in setting up SQL servers and querying them, etc., much less how to write an external program that can manipulate external data in custom ways, beyond what the manual already contains. These topics fall well outside the scope of the LiveText manual.

Apart from that, most of the 'information voids' I've seen mentioned in here fall under the tech support heading, and there's a limit to what I can do in that respect. :)

SBowie
08-20-2010, 10:50 AM
What i want is scores from JUST our viewing area and I'd like to display them ONE PAGE at a time. At the simplest level, if you can arrange for the scores to be posted into a text file, DataLink can pick the values from that. You can put key names in title pages, and when displayed they will show the current value for the key. And you can even swap out different title pages to display by simply updating page control key values in the same file. (It's a bit trickier with crawls/scrolls.)

brians0105
09-12-2010, 09:16 AM
If you can get your data into an Excel spreadsheet, it should be pretty simple from there on. We've got a 10 week HS Football package this season and our graphics guy asked me if there was a way to type out all of the players, coaches, and stats in Excel and have that populate the CGs rather than individually typing close to 100 CGs each game. I said I would figure it out for next week.

So now in LT2, instead of normal text input in our CGs we use the data from the Excel spreadsheet. We just have to save the Excel file as a text file for it to be used in LT2.

For basketball season we'll expand this to have more in-depth stats updated throughout the game.

Attached is a zip file that has both the Excel file and the Text file that we use to populate our CGs.

lvsoule
10-12-2010, 08:41 PM
This shows how the idea works. From here where do you put this .xls file so that LiveText2 sees it? I'm trying to figure out how to get the data to populate.... thanks
-Larry

brians0105
10-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Larry,

In the Excel file you will have to Save As a Text (Tab Delimited) file for LiveText2 to read it. Save this .txt file in the LT2 data watch folder. I can't remember the exact file path off the top of my head, but in your Start Menu for LT2 there should be a shortcut.

Brian

akscooter
11-12-2010, 03:35 PM
So I just gave this a shot, and surprisingly, I am disappointed in the fact that I should have known how to do this from the start!!

In Excel 2007, click the Data ribbon. On the top is "From Web" which imports data from a website. Browse to the site which contains your data (I use pointstreak). To the top left of every HTML Table is a black arrow in a yellow box. Clicking this will select that entire table for import.

Once you select all your tables, click Import at the bottom. It will then ask where you want to put this awesome data, you can select one cell which will represent the top left cell of the HTML table. Click Properties to get to the good stuff.

If you are in a fast action sport, like hockey, click/set Refresh every 1 minutes. Click OK and OK.

After a brief update (depending on inet speeds) your data will appear! Cool thing is, it will refresh with new data pulled from the site at the rate which you set earlier.

OK, so how do we format this for LT?

I use a second worksheet to pull data. On my primary worksheet, I make my Key=Value pairs leaving the Value blank for now.

When data is needed from the web, I go to my Value field, hit = and go to my second sheet, select the field, and hit Enter. The data will automatically pull from the second sheet into a LT formated pair. I can then Copy/Paste the pairs into my text doc, and save the txt.

Now I need to figure out how to get Excel to automatically save an XML file with the data it pulls, then certain fields can be auto generated without having to do anything!

Hope this helps someone, I'm going live with this tonight, so we'll see how it works on the front line!

Jon

ZachSchuster
11-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Wow, that is a pretty decent, albeit round about way of doing it. Let me know how it works out. It would be even better if you could have Excel auto-save the text file so you don't need to do the copy/paste into your text document.

pro---studio
11-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Maybe you could do the autosave with a macro that executes every 10 seconds!?

akscooter
11-30-2010, 11:50 AM
I've made some modifications to my method. I know have a lot of automation integrated into the spreadsheet.

First, data is pulled from the web (pointstreak) in two queries and updated in 1 minute and 5 minute intervals. I'm now pulling both home and visiting teams data, as well as the current game details (shots on goal, shots per period).

Second, In the excel spreadsheet, I've placed on a worksheet titled "Export Info" links to the fields I'm wanting to export. In the macro portion of the book, I've set Ctrl+L as an export now command. My CG op simply hits that on the keyboard and LT immediately updates!

Third, on another tab with all the team player stats, I've made option buttons and check boxes that when the option button is selected, that player's name, number, and pic are placed in the export tab and queued to live. The check boxes allow my CG op to select which statistic will be displayed on my stat graphic.

It's a lot of words to describe, but once configured, is very simple to use, and quite functional!

If interested, I'll finish up my modifications after a test with the next home series, make some notes and comments and instructions, and post a copy of it.

The problem with an auto-save is this scenario: You have your graphic live on screen, and you're cuing up the next stats when the auto-save occurs. You look up and half your data is on one thing, and half is on another. With a command button, you decide when the stat goes live, and its when your ready.

Let me know if you are interested in a copy.

Jon

lvsoule
11-30-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm interested! I've been messing with those programs and got frustrated. I would like to get them up and running.
thanks
-Larry

brians0105
11-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Jon,

We're very interested. I was hoping to expand on our Excel sheet we used for football and make some changes before the basketball season.... but our basketball broadcasts start in a couple weeks and I haven't had time.

It would be great to take a look at the Excel workbook you're using.

Thanks

Brian