PDA

View Full Version : Tricking 2 (wel... 1.5???) CG's out of one copy of LiveText!

ZachSchuster
08-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Here is a little trick for sneaking two CG's out of a single copy of LiveText in the TCXD300 line (and I imaginge the 850, too). It's not really two CG pages, so I'll coin it as 1.5 pages. :) I'll use football for my example, since that is what prompted the need. This is a work around to the the fact that you cannot crop sources at the DSK or Virtual Input (at this time, cropping can only be done at the source, which makes that change universal throughout your project).

So in football you have the scorebar at the top of the screen (or bottom, depending on your preference). But let's say you also want to display a headshot, or maybe even a (almost) full screen graphic of starters, but with live action in the background. This solution allows you to have a single LT page with both graphical elements, but you can control them in TC independently.

Let's say you wanted the scorebar at the top of the screen and headshots at the bottom. In LT you design your graphics but place the scorebard at the bottom of your LT page and the headshot (or starters, or leaders, conference rankings, etc...) a little bit higher on the canvas. You can even go below the safe margins to increase your canvas size.

In TCXD300, assign your NET input to a Virtual Input and a DSK, or both DSK's. Then position the source in each respective area to orient the scorebar at the top of the page (and moving the headshot just off the top of the screen). Position the rest of your page so that the scorebar is just off the bottom of the screen. You can now control the fade in and fade out of each graphical element separately.

In my situation, I am using the scorebar in V1, headshot and full screen/live background on DSK1, and true full screens with a full static background as the unmodified NET input.

Being able to crop sources would make this even more versatile. You could have a single page with three or four "zones" and control multiple graphical elements from a single page, but this works for now. I suppose in some ways you could do this with the model I've suggested, but it has limitations.

joseburgos
08-20-2010, 01:08 PM
I agree, it would be nice if it had the ability to crop but your workaround is welcome :)

ZachSchuster
08-22-2010, 11:57 AM
FYI- One slight drawback to this method is it doesn't quite work with the "Assemble" transition (my personal fave). If you look close, while the transition is applied you can see some of the off-screen content. In 99% of your situations, this is probably not a problem. It won't change my utilization of that transition. I'm not sure what it would do with trajectory transitions, though. Won't be able to try until later in the week. This is another reason crop would be helpful at the DSK and Virtual Input part of the workflow.

joseburgos
09-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Zach,
On the XD850, you can crop any input :)

SBowie
09-10-2010, 03:17 PM
On the XD850, you can crop any input :)At source, independently (cumulative settings) in the Overlay channels (all of them), and independently again if they are assigned as Input A or B in a Virtual Input.

joseburgos
09-10-2010, 03:18 PM
: )
Very large smile, cracking face.

ZachSchuster
11-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Is there any hope for this crop feature to be added to the XD300?