PDA

View Full Version : Turning pages

claudians
08-18-2010, 10:09 AM
I want to make an animated logo for a Christian company. My idea is opening a Bible, turning a few pages and from inside the Bible, an old video projector (with the two reels) rises and begins projecting a volumetric light. The camera follows it to the screen where it projects the name of the company on a screen in old-style film with the film grain and all.

So my question is this:

What is the best way to make the pages turn on the Bible?

Also, when opening the Bible, is the best way to do that using bones or morphs or both?

Thanks

nickdigital
08-18-2010, 10:17 AM
For the paper pages you could use bones. I've seen people suggest the Shift Spline plug-in too.

As for the book cover you could use bones as well. Using a morph wouldn't look as well as your book needs to move in an arc and morphs work in a linear fashion. There are plug-ins to do non-linear morphs but using bones would be the quickest and uses what's already in Layout.

claudians
08-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks, Mr. Digital. I'll give it a whirl. It sounds simple enough. (I've never heard of Shift Spline before, though, but I haven't really taken full advantage or exploring all the plugins that come with Lightwave.)

Will I need to make a chain of bones along the top and bottom of the pages to make them move gracefully? Or would weigh maps be more effective?

nickdigital
08-18-2010, 12:56 PM
I would figure out how you want your page to bend first.

Actually the other option would be to use the Bend deformer. I just used that on credit sequence for one of our shows. It would be a combination of using the bend deformer and rotating the page from the spine.

If you wanted the page to bend from a corner I would use bones. Weight maps are probably unnecessary as long as you have a big bone where the spine of the book is.

raw-m
08-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Hi all, just to jump in here, I have something very similar to do here but with a lot of pages. I guess I could add a bone for each of the pages and have them "Follow" a master bone with a slight time offset. Do you know of a way to set a global offset between pages interactively, incase I have to change any timings manually? Would be great to have the speed of the rotation/page turning controlled by a slider over time.

nickdigital
08-18-2010, 03:09 PM
You could have page 1's animation controlled by Cyclist and have all the other pages follow the first page. Then page 1 could flip as fast or as slow as you want and the rest should follow page 1's timing.

UnCommonGrafx
08-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Look at Relativity.
An example of this would be:
- Set up the first two bones. The first with the motion; the second with relativity applied to follow, at a certain distance or time, and then clone that bone. You will end up cloning that bone as many pages as you have.
Issues, though, will arise as you will have to assign the bones to the pages. No magic for that. Ummm, not true. Sorry... What you CAN do is open the lws in notepad/otherEditor and and find/replace your bone assignments.
Relativity just hasn't gotten the love it deserves, I tell ya.

raw-m
08-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Many thanks, will look into both of those. I think I want the rotation speed to slow over time and was hoping there was possibly a more automated solution rather than manual Graph Editor/Dope Sheet tweaks on a ton of layers (I'm too used to setting up sliders in AE!!).

Hopper
08-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Or.... you could use this tutorial for turning pages.

William Vaughan's Page Turning Tutorial (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/pageturn.mov)

(Note: Right click and "Save Link As..." or you'll have to wait for the entire file to load before it will display in your browser).

raw-m
08-19-2010, 01:40 AM
:thumbsup:

Also thought I'd look at Timewarp to slow the sequence down towards the end but it seems to be broken on Mac, LW9.6 so will try the other suggestions.