PDA

View Full Version : Custom Titles and aspect ratios

dnewman31
08-18-2010, 09:01 AM
I am creating some custom titles for an upcoming event (and for general use at any event). I've created my lower thirds by hand and created custom backgrounds with my lower third graphic and our organizations logo.

The logo has a globe on it and I'm sure you now know my next question: they look great in 4:3 and everything is square (or round, as the case it). However when I switch to 16:9 I lose the roundness and have an oblong globe on my title.

Is there a way to do this that will allow the logo to maintain proper composer in either aspect ratio? I really don't want to create separate titles for each.

I could put it in an image element on the toasterscript (at least I assume it will maintain aspect at that point).. but I don't like that it then becomes user changeable.. I'd prefer it a little safer from the "volunteer" help I will have.

My Bk files are rendered at the higher resolution size right now (like all the stock titles).

SBowie
08-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Assuming you are talking about an SD model TriCaster, I think really the answer is no, sorry.

bbeanan
08-18-2010, 09:58 AM
you need to make a 16x9 set and a 4x3 set... it is a pain but that is the only way...

Or just do I I do and say the show will be 16x9 as that is the current "standard"

dnewman31
08-18-2010, 10:04 AM
thanks Steve, that is what I suspected. Am I correct in assuming that if I embed logo as an image element rather than as part of my background image that it will maintain aspect?

I prefer not to do it this way, but will if it is the only way.

One other question, is it possible to set the background image in the text editor? I've done all these titles by hand in notepad so far.

dnewman31
08-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Brett, saw your comment after I posted.

We are shooting for 16x9, one problem is that at one location where half of the presentations will be there will be a 4:3 projector that we will be pushing the iVGA back out, and it doesn't look so good with a 16:9 on it. Everything else we do is 16:9..

That said, I might still go this route anyhow..

SBowie
08-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Am I correct in assuming that if I embed logo as an image element rather than as part of my background image that it will maintain aspect?I think you have to view the whole page as being treated as either 4:3 or 16:9 - including all the elements on it. You're going to need two completely different title pages. (This is not true for TCXD models, btw).

One other question, is it possible to set the background image in the text editor? I've done all these titles by hand in notepad so far.Sure, if you mean when creating the page in "Edit Text". Just add an image, and move it to the back in the Layers tab.

bbeanan
08-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Well then make your 16x9 titles safe for 4x3 then set the projector to crop the image and not to letterbox it...

dnewman31
08-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Sure, if you mean when creating the page in "Edit Text". Just add an image, and move it to the back in the Layers tab.

Yeah, that is what I meant, but when I have tried in the past if you miss the text when trying to change it in live then it pops up with a dialog to change the image.. which is annoying (from experience). :)

Brett, I think I will look into your suggestion.. I will just have to see how it deals with the iVGA feed from the laptop when I'm doing this. It is likely that the titles will not be used very much for the times that 4:3 is being used.

What sizes are allowable for that bk.png? Just the 740x480 and the larger size (away from my TC)? Trying to figure out how to make a 16:9 safe background for my title. Can I make the source image something that is already 16:9 1:1 pixel or do I have to be able to create an image that understands it will be stretched?

Thanks!
-Duane

SBowie
08-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Yeah, that is what I meant, but when I have tried in the past if you miss the text when trying to change it in live then it pops up with a dialog to change the image.. which is annoying (from experience).I'm in a rush (sorry), but I think you can turn that off on a per title basis ... check the docs.