PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre video at input 1

JAM Pro
08-18-2010, 07:17 AM
I have a tech support email in, but I have gotten a bizarre video signal at input 1 suddenly.
I see video, in color, but it appears to be posterized and blocky. Cable checks out,
re-fabricated ends (BNC) and trouble persists. Other inputs check out fine with same cable.
This is a Tricaster Pro connecting at the BNC in.

Here is a SIMULATION of the problem I have. This is not a screen cap or anything, I just
photoshopped up a picture to simulate what I see onscreen in the tricaster production interface.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae23/JAMpromotionsMKTG/NewtekTroubleshoot.jpg

My initial theory is that MAYBE there is a fragment of shield strand in the BNC socket, but
as it is still under warranty, I do not want to mess with it at all. This is also a weak theory
as it is likely a component on the circuit board that is casueing the problem or a bad
BNC socket.

But as usually happens, I have several gigs coming up and need to get it into and
out of tech ASAP. :thumbsup:

Anyone ever get anything similar?

SBowie
08-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Wow. You don't mention which TriCaster model you have, or which connection type you're using at this input, but it does sound like it may be a hdwe. fault. I assume you've checked the settings in Input Setup (or Input Config, for a TCXD model), making sure it's both properly configured and that you haven't accidentally nudged the Proc Amp settings into something bizzare.

For a standard def TriCaster, you also might try resetting the configs from the Admin screen, and also recalibrating the inputs from Input Setup - but failing luck with that, I'd be urgently on the horn with Tech Support. They are capable of a pretty quick turnaround, but the longer you wait .... :(

JAM Pro
08-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Sorry, I did that in my tech emails and I guess I assumed I had done it here. This is a BNC connector, which I DID allude to I think, and the Model is a Tricaster Pro. So obviously one input going down is a big deal, lol.

As for tech WORK, yeah, it would have to be a semi-fast turn, I am gigging it on the
18th of Sept. Not TOO soon, I guess, but not eons either. I am waiting for a response
to my most basic question, "here is my Serial #, am I under warranty and what would
you guys suggest."

This post is mostly a fishing expedition of sorts, trying to drum up some kind of "that hapened to me last month" response. Yes, it's all set up properly and troubleshot down to something
behind the case, basically. I might try the Admin screen reset option today, I reset inside the
interface last night. No joy.

SBowie
08-18-2010, 07:36 AM
This is a BNC connector, which I DID allude to I think, and the Model is a Tricaster Pro.Unfortunately, allusions leave a bit to the imagination. ;)

A single BNC connector, I take it - thus, since it's a Pro, a composite connection, rather than SDI. Could be some sort of cross-talk ....

JAM Pro
08-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Until I set up the system this morning (this anomoly happened out of house last night),
I had forgotten that this bizarro artifact occurs in the Preview and Program monitors ONLY.
If you look at the input monitor, that tiny little viewer on the upper left side, the cam input
looks absolutely normal. As stated, plugging the cam input BNC into any of the other two
inputs results in totally normal ops.
I went to admin for a master reset and am re-installing 2.5 upgrade.
We'll see what happens......

JAM Pro
08-18-2010, 08:34 AM
My apologies for posting in the forum, and bothering tech support besides
BEFORE I re-installed version 2.5 and master resetting, but I was looking
squarely at a tight deadline on what I thought my warranty window was
dictating, so I knind of panicked.

Long story short, by doing the latter two actions, I remedied my problem.
It is just as well, because this problem would have been a HELL of a
thorny fix in hardware. And now I can go and shoot my race and have
a good time and create a masterful streaming live production. Thanks
to all for playing.

SBowie
08-18-2010, 08:56 AM
100% understood ... All's well that ends well! :)

JAM Pro
08-18-2010, 09:05 AM
You know, being fixed up IS kind of a drug, though.
Since I have had this unit, basically EVERY time I have unpacked it and set
it up for production, something scary has gone wrong at the event and the
fix seems to always be re-installing the software patch and master reset.
That's fine at the surface, but losing all your preferences and form blank
entries for stream strings and stuff is no small hassle. In the broad over-
look it's fine, cause the Tricaster might be the greatest invention ever,
but it sucks to have to 'fix it' every time you are at an event, a time when
you are usually against the wall as it is.

But no sense in knocking it, after all. It just is a mosquito bite I always seem
to be scratching.

ZachSchuster
08-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Since it's working now, we may never know what the problem was... I can't help but wonder if the camera had a LiveSet applied to it... I believe there are a few LiveSets that will apply a mosaic, blur, etc... to an input. At least my Broadcast unit does.

bob anderson
08-19-2010, 03:28 PM
You know, being fixed up IS kind of a drug, though.
Since I have had this unit, basically EVERY time I have unpacked it and set
it up for production, something scary has gone wrong at the event and the
fix seems to always be re-installing the software patch and master reset.
That's fine at the surface, but losing all your preferences and form blank
entries for stream strings and stuff is no small hassle. In the broad over-
look it's fine, cause the Tricaster might be the greatest invention ever,
but it sucks to have to 'fix it' every time you are at an event, a time when
you are usually against the wall as it is.

But no sense in knocking it, after all. It just is a mosquito bite I always seem
to be scratching.

This sounds suspicious to me and certainly shouldn't be the case. Perhaps the HDD is flakey. Have you asked Tech if this is a possibility? Also (and don't take this the wrong way..) is it possible that the machine is getting bumped around excessively in shipping? If the answer to that question is NO, then you should be seeing the same rate of malfunction running the machine day to day in your studio. Could it be a power issue at the venues?

I travel with my TriCasters pretty much every weekend, often with them packed in a pelican and flying to their destination, and I'd say one out of 25 or so gigs I get a minor hiccup where it needs a restore.

Bob Anderson