PDA

View Full Version : F10 Crash

Mr Rid
08-18-2010, 01:00 AM
A few months ago my LW started randomly crashing during F10s, anywhere between 1 and maybe 12 frames into any scene. Uninstalled, reinstalled. How do I figure out what is causing it? What cryptic utility might yield useful info? At this point in household computer dev, I dont know why every OS or app isn't telling you in plain language why the hell it crashes. Does the dmp file say anything useful... if I could figure out how to read it?

danielkaiser
08-18-2010, 02:05 AM
If your using Windows you could check the Event Viewer.

Mr Rid
08-18-2010, 03:27 AM
Yeah that just gives me a bunch of techno gibberish. Why cant it just say, 'Hey man, I dont like that plugin, or this driver, you need the new one, here's the link...', 'Youve got some spyware doing some weird thing, located here', 'Your video card is too crappy', 'You need to chew with your mouth closed cuz you're grossing me out' or anything intelligible.

---------------
Fault bucket 20592101, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 924042568

Problem signature:
P1: lightwav.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 496e68b7
P4: StackHash_07ad
P5: 6.1.7600.16385
P6: 4a5be02b
P7: c0000374
P8: 00000000000c6cd2
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\VM1\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2AA9.tmp.WERInt ernalMetadata.xml
C:\Users\VM1\AppData\Local\Temp\WER6AF4.tmp.appcom pat.txt
C:\Users\VM1\AppData\Local\Temp\WER6CB9.tmp.mdmp

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\VM1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\R eportArchive\AppCrash_lightwav.exe_f917c473354f1b6 dee0c5347d9a99f648cd59ec_cab_0c53e215

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: d5abd399-aa8c-11df-b4a7-002421dffd61
Report Status: 8

meshpig
08-18-2010, 05:39 AM
If it's still happening after a few months I'd be looking more at possible hardware failure. I run an air purifier behind this thing because I've cooked a few iMacs just from the dust in this ol' place.

All sorts of weird inexplicable s**t happens when the mother board, gpu or hd is dying.

Nangleator
08-18-2010, 07:14 AM
I'm trying to diagnose a similar problem. I have this vague feeling that it's the PhotoShop exporter, but I haven't nailed it down yet. You saving .PSD files, Mr Rid?

Mr Rid
08-18-2010, 07:53 AM
If it's still happening after a few months I'd be looking more at possible hardware failure. I run an air purifier behind this thing because I've cooked a few iMacs just from the dust in this ol' place.

All sorts of weird inexplicable s**t happens when the mother board, gpu or hd is dying.

The problem started for me on a system that is only 5 months old where Fusion is also crashing regularly, but LW F10 is also crashing wheb I try it on another, much older Win 2000 machine.

I'm trying to diagnose a similar problem. I have this vague feeling that it's the PhotoShop exporter, but I haven't nailed it down yet. You saving .PSD files, Mr Rid?

No. It crashes while saving various formats, in various scenes. The problem seems unrelated to anything about the specific scenes.

Mr Rid
08-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Well, the problem on my main workstation seems to be something overheating, even though the temperature monitor shows the cores technically within safe. I opened the case, aimed a big fan into it, and its been rendering fine all day for the first time in a few months.

Nangleator
08-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Ah, verdammt heat! I've had the cover off my home computer for years now.

Mr Rid
08-19-2010, 04:32 PM
If I could, I would definitely leave the covers off everything. But the air is so damn dusty here in southern Cal, everything gets caked up quick. I've had two computers futz out on me that both turned out to be a short caused by a dustball formed between the back of the MB and the case metal. In the summer, I usually aim fans at the outside of the computers and ext drives (and always use laptop coolers) which helps, and this one has extra fans inside, so I dont know why its overheating yet. But it occurred to me that the problem started when things warmed up in mid-May, so I tried running naked.

Nangleator
08-19-2010, 06:09 PM
How's this (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/apr/03/research.engineering) for a nightmare?

Mr Rid
08-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Interesting.

Reminds of a sci-fi novel where some new plastic material with steel strength is mass produced and used in everything from household appliances to all buildings and vehicles. One day a mysterious explosion rips thru the inventor's home, killing him. Then his car explodes during his funeral procession. The first explosion turns out to be a small statuette that was the first thing ever made from this material. The exploding car belonged to the inventor and was also one of the first items to be constructed with this material... they began to realize that over time there was something extremely unstable in the structure of the material. Since this stuff was as ubiquitous as steel is today, it meant a chain cataclysm that would render the earth uninhabitable.

meshpig
08-29-2010, 03:29 AM
Here's what I came up with. A little pricey with the exchange rate as it is but do a regular clean and the amount of gunk you pull out after a month is astounding, I can only presume it's what isn't ending up gathering around the hardware.

http://www.mountainbreeze.com.au/

Mr Rid
08-29-2010, 04:00 AM
That one might be good. I would look for reviews. I use a similar Whirlpool purifier that was top rated in Consumer Reports some years ago, that I think was about $400. Most of the models C.R. tested purified very little, and only two of the expensive ones really worked. This one definitely sucks the funk out of the air on the high setting. I can put a bright spotlight in front of it and see little particles swooping into the intake. It doesnt prevent the computer fans from caking up, although I dont run it all the time, but iam sure it would be worse if I didnt.

For years I have had a problem with congestion when sleeping that keeps me awake many nights. A few months ago I started running this thing for an hour before bedtime, set in the doorway of the bedroom, and the nagging congestion problem has almost entirely disappeared.

meshpig
08-30-2010, 05:14 AM
... For years I have had a problem with congestion when sleeping that keeps me awake many nights. A few months ago I started running this thing for an hour before bedtime, set in the doorway of the bedroom, and the nagging congestion problem has almost entirely disappeared.

Yes, I've noticed my post nasal drip has diminished too. Definitely a good idea if you can afford it.

Roadwarrior
08-30-2010, 05:29 AM
good idea for anyone with dust or allegies and keeps those fuzz bunnies
down to a minimum:thumbsup: