PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop cs4

monfoodoo
08-17-2010, 10:14 PM
I saw CS4 advetised for $327.00,full version on the web.Does this seem right?Our shop really needs to upgrade but really can't afford the steep retail price.

Silkrooster
08-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Its possible, since CS5 is now out. I would be very careful from getting it from a source that is not well known though.

akademus
08-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Double check the site. There been cases of dodgy sites which looked pretty good, check their contact info, run domain check to see to whom the site belongs...

Ivan_B
08-18-2010, 01:06 AM
That MIGHT be a OEM version, i've seen a few site advertising OEM versions stating that there is no catch...nearly bought a version, then did some research to find its not a proper legal version.

biliousfrog
08-18-2010, 02:35 AM
Contact Adobe and ask them, they'll tell you whether it's legit or not.

If there's no physical address don't bother

-EsHrA-
08-18-2010, 04:21 AM
anybody knows if a cs3 extended can be upgraded to cs5 non extended??..
what will happen to the extended features of cs3 in that case?..

tia..

mlon

rsfd
08-18-2010, 04:54 AM
surprisingly, according to the Adobe page, it is:
(we had aggressive marketing campain here in Germany and it was told, upgrades from CS3 were only possible during a "grace period" time - now this seems untrue)

{NL} http://www.adobe.com/nl/products/photoshop/photoshop/
{US} http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/

Upgrades from CS3-Extended to CS5 for €249,- or $199,- (ex VAT)

For the Extended features, well I guess they will be lost.
If you want to hold them, you will need to upgrade to CS5-Extended, as you will most likely not be able to run both versions (activation).

monfoodoo
08-18-2010, 07:24 AM
what is involved in a OEM version?
Here is the link to what i saw. http://www.kyusinc.com/adbPsCs4Ext.html

rsfd
08-18-2010, 07:45 AM
usually a OEM version is a software that is sold with another product (a computer, a scanner, a printer aso). It might be that you cannot activate the software through Adobe.

And that's what I got from a whois search:
the domain is registered through another webhosting company, which hides the original registrar and which is usually a sign for a "not so legal" site.

================================================== ==
Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: KYUSINC.COM
Created on: 25-Nov-08
Expires on: 25-Nov-10
Last Updated on: 26-Nov-09

Administrative Contact:
Private, Registration [email protected]
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Technical Contact:
Private, Registration [email protected]
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Domain servers in listed order:
NS41.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS42.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

================================================== ==

biliousfrog
08-18-2010, 08:25 AM
they give their phone number and address, they state clearly what the software is and isn't...it seems like a reasonable deal, especially as it's old software. I'd give them a call and ask them straight out.

I bought the full CS3 production premium set for under 1000, almost half the UK retail price at the time, because CS4 was about to get a release date. You're looking at software which was released a couple of years ago, superceded earlier in the year and just collecting dust on their shelves...it's also only photoshop and without any manuals...it doesn't seem too suspicious to me. It's just old stock that's probably difficult to shift, especially as CS4 had so many issues.

donlimpio
08-18-2010, 09:58 AM
If you see how buggy CS5 is you'll be glad you got the older version! The price does not seem TOO cheap to me.

The regular price for creative suite 5 standard (photoshop, illustrator, indesign and some version of acrobat writer I think) is about 1300 euros in Belgium, so that price does not seem like a superdiscount to me.

monfoodoo
08-19-2010, 08:52 AM
All i gotta do is talk the Boss into it.Currently running CS

Rayek
08-20-2010, 09:42 PM
A word of warning: as far as I know, Adobe NEVER offered OEM versions of either Acrobat or Photoshop, with the exception of Elements.

And as for "kyusinc.com": they are known for selling counterfeit copies of Adobe software. Just contact Adobe, and they will tell you. Don't burn your fingers - this type of 'vendor' knows exactly how to lure in unsuspecting customers: don't sell too cheap, don't sell too expensive. They prey on your greed. Adobe never did, nor ever will support these kind of websites.

Their website is coded shoddily as well. As is the design.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/kyusinc.com

monfoodoo
08-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks.i think i,ll steer clear.

Jim_C
08-22-2010, 11:23 PM
It's a shame..

You use to have to jump through hoops, spend a bunch of time online, and take chances in order to be a thief.

Now you have to do all that in order to be honest.

Stunt Pixels
08-23-2010, 12:02 AM
A word of warning: as far as I know, Adobe NEVER offered OEM versions of either Acrobat or Photoshop, with the exception of Elements.

Yep, they did. It's how I got my original Photoshop. I think it was for v4 (maybe v3?) though - Note, NOT CS4, version 4... Came free with a (HP?) scanner. I rang up Adobe and made sure it was a full version that I could upgrade before I brought the scanner. Waaay cheaper for the scanner with PS than PS alone. Go figure. Of course, they've had me over a barrel ever since... Now back to me rocking chair.

rsfd
08-23-2010, 09:50 AM
It's a shame..

You use to have to jump through hoops, spend a bunch of time online, and take chances in order to be a thief.

Now you have to do all that in order to be honest.

Well, you have to do it not to get cheated.
But it's a shame that's for sure...

Rayek
08-25-2010, 02:33 AM
Yep, they did. It's how I got my original Photoshop. I think it was for v4 (maybe v3?) though - Note, NOT CS4, version 4... Came free with a (HP?) scanner.

I stand corrected - I did not know about that. Just shows to "never say never". However, it IS quite an old version. I don't think Adobe would allow for that now.

rsfd
08-25-2010, 04:35 AM
^ well, in fact Adobe never sold OEM.
They cooperated with hardware manufacturers and sold their software bundled to a hardware (scanner, printer). The software never was sold separately at those conditions.

CC Rider
08-30-2010, 02:01 PM
I've seen sites like this that sell educational versions for this price and advertise that it is legal for businesses to use... almost convinced me but I chickened out. Don't want to be on Adobe's bad side... I need them too much!