PDA

View Full Version : Life is a precious thing

oliversimonnet
08-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Hello every one
In the past 2 years i have lost my grate grandmother (old age), my grate grandfather (an accident), almost but yet still partly lost my little brother (attacked by two Rottweiler, and still hasn't recovered fully) and almost lost by big brother (another accident).
And a few days ago my granddad was told that he had merely 2 years left to live, and that hit us all hard but then, today he slipped with an angle grinder and almost cut his leg off he has a 6 inch gash in his leg. so i thought i would say that life is such a precious thing, and goes by to quickly, so live your lives as best you can, you only have the one shot at it :)
you never know what is around the corner :)

SonicN2O
08-17-2010, 02:45 PM
You never told me about that:(
if it helps, my friend's husband just died,
And I can't imagine what she's going through right now.
sigh... My prayers go out to you and your family.

Kuzey
08-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Oliver...my best wishes go out to you and your family.

Man.....these things comes in waves. Hopefully, your grand dad will recover enough to enjoy whatever time he has left.

All the best,

Kuzey

oliversimonnet
08-17-2010, 02:57 PM
thanks fellas
@SonicN2O: my thoults are with your friend well some of them anyway the rest are with my granddad :)
so do i Kuzey :)

donlimpio
08-17-2010, 03:32 PM
These things do come in waves, that's true. And rare are the truly carefree moments in life, so we should treasure them. I need to remind myself sometimes that life is short, and should be lived with great hunger - not for working to build up a fortune, for no apparent reason (I am talking to myself here...)

All my sympathy to both your friends and families.

oliversimonnet
08-18-2010, 08:03 AM
hello
just found out that my granddad has had full on surgery in his leg, all i no so fare is he has had internal stitches as well as external.
the bad thing, very bad thing is, that's now he cant walk or drive, and my grandmother has been in a wheelchair since before i was born (she has MS) so now they are stuck at home and cant go shopping and my grandmother cant go to her exercising place to keep her muscles up :S
so they have got a bit of a situation
can it get any worse haha

inkpen3d
08-19-2010, 02:13 AM
Life always kicks you when your down! Heart-felt sympathies - been through similar stuff myself.

If they haven't done so already, your family should get in contact with the local health authority and social services who will probably be able to arrange a wide range of support for your grandparents, which should include providing transport.

Regards,
Perants

oliversimonnet
08-20-2010, 07:03 PM
ye i know alwakys kiks me when im down that for sure haha
ye we have been thrue this wif them, they dont want it, they want to live the last few years they have left normaly they dont want people looking after them unless its us :S
so what can you do hey :)

inkpen3d
08-21-2010, 03:28 AM
That's a tough one to deal with!

They probably don't fully appreciate just how much of a burden looking after even just one elderly relative can be for a family, let alone two.

Perhaps they could be persuaded to adopt a compromise situation where all the regular time-consuming and labour intensive care duties are handled by social services (which, after all, they've spent their entire working lives paying towards via PAYE/NIC) whilst your extended family help out with other things such as the occasional visit to the doctors or perhaps a day out somewhere nice.

Best of luck!

Qexit
08-21-2010, 06:06 AM
That's a tough one to deal with!

They probably don't fully appreciate just how much of a burden looking after even just one elderly relative can be for a family, let alone two. I can confirm that. Providing care support to my elderly parents during the last few years of their lives has left me in quite a poor state. You don't realise just how much it is taking out of you until your own system turns round and explains it to you quite forcibly :(

Perhaps they could be persuaded to adopt a compromise situation where all the regular time-consuming and labour intensive care duties are handled by social services (which, after all, they've spent their entire working lives paying towards via PAYE/NIC) whilst your extended family help out with other things such as the occasional visit to the doctors or perhaps a day out somewhere nice.

Best of luck!Nice thought but the reality is somewhat different. Social services only provide minimal help and support and only then after you've gone through several weeks/months of form filling, medical assessments, long telephone conversations and an awful lot of waiting. Again, I'm speaking with the voice of experience. To get any support from the benefits people, oliversimonnet and his Grand parents are going to need a lot of patience and all the help they can get from organisations like the Citizens Advice Bureau. I really do wish him the best of luck with that. I also hope that his Granddad recovers quickly following his operations.

oliversimonnet
08-22-2010, 05:41 AM
thank you fellas for the advice and the good luck ;)
we will have another talk to them about it, and see what happens :)
thanks again :)