PDA

View Full Version : CGI in Star Trek

WilliamVaughan
08-17-2010, 02:03 PM
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/database/cgi.htm

biliousfrog
08-17-2010, 02:22 PM
wow, that's some retro reading :D

The part about the missing textures in the Voyager titles is funny, I'll have to try and catch the re-runs.

realgray
08-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Makes you think there are some incredible lwo's floating around out on some server somewhere

biliousfrog
08-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Makes you think there are some incredible lwo's floating around out on some server somewhere

In reality, given the restrictions of the time, they're probably far less incredible than many of the fan made models which have been produced since.

Kionel
08-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Am I the only person who sees the shot of the "Antares" being built in Maya and thinks "Why did you build it with THAT?"

VicMackey
08-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Love Star Trek. CGI is awesome when used correctly. Looked amazing in the starship battles in DS9, but when they used it for the Enterprise, call me old fashioned, but I preferred the model photography.

NX-01 Enterprise never looked real. It always looked CGI.

The Enterprise 1701 in the remastered series, looked really beautiful in some episodes (Space Seed it looked incredible next to the Bottany Bay), but the lighting was truly horrendous in most shots, giving the ship a dark gun metal type texture instead of the white bright glossy look in the original shots.

The Enterprise E didn't look as magnificent after First Contact.

The Enterprise in the latest movie looked nice in a lot of shots, especially the planet scenes where she was being built. But when we first saw in her space, it was substantially less beautiful than the awesome sight of her in The Motion Picture with all that wonderful model photography.

And 1701-A. I don't think any computer model has ever been as beautiful as that real life model.

realgray
08-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Would love to know where lightwave was used in Undiscovered Country. I bet the model of Enterprise-E in Nemesis was sweet.

ToMar
08-18-2010, 06:53 PM
In reality, given the restrictions of the time, they're probably far less incredible than many of the fan made models which have been produced since.

True. I have high res renders of the USS Voyager somewhere. I may post them on the weekend. But it also depends on the Builder. The USS Prometheus looks great.

VicMackey
08-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Would love to know where lightwave was used in Undiscovered Country. I bet the model of Enterprise-E in Nemesis was sweet.

I'm guessing the explosion of Praxis and resulting shockwave ring (which was also used in the Stargate movie). There have been tutorials since about LW 5.6 on how to achieve that effect!

ToMar
08-19-2010, 12:51 AM
ok, rememberd the exact folder. Got it now.

The Voyager Model is not as bad as I remember. but still...

The prometeus is much better.

Paul_Boland
08-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the link. I'm a huge Star Trek fan and loved this article.

ToMar
08-21-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm guessing the explosion of Praxis and resulting shockwave ring (which was also used in the Stargate movie). There have been tutorials since about LW 5.6 on how to achieve that effect!

Now what do we have here? shock_wave_tutorial (http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=87504&stc=1&d=1282405766)

Elmar Moelzer
08-21-2010, 12:24 PM
I swear I saw some metaballs, or even Surface HVs (never was completely sure about that) in those shots with zero gravity blood floating arround.

ToMar
09-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Speaking of Staaaaaar Trek and LightWave:

Those Lensflares used in some animations look very suspicius

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hi7zXj3xug