PDA

View Full Version : I have a plan

rednova
08-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Dear Friends:

As you all know I am learning animation/lightwave.
I noticed many projects beyond my abilities that people
ask in this forum to hire lightwavers.
Most of these projects are beyond my abilities.
But I just had a great idea !!!
Why not pick every project -the ones for hire- and try my best
to do it, even though is hard for me. Then do every project..
as if I had had the contract.
This way, my animation skill will increase !!!
And then I can post all my work in the gallery to get feedback.
Isn't this a great idea ?

Rednova

Martin Adams
08-16-2010, 09:07 AM
I personally have had most success when I've been under pressure and have had no choice but to rework and learn new things to get the end results.

I find there's two things that is most challenging when learning on your own. Dedication and direction. You need to be most dedicated to push yourself without people prodding you with a stick, otherwise time will go by and you'll only end up going over the same basic learning materials to "re-learn" what you forgot because of the gap.

The direction aspect I find is about having someone telling you, "it's not how we want it, try harder". Again, doing projects on your own, you may settle with second best because there's no reason to improve it.

I'm not sure how well using hired jobs would work to gain experience (others might have a better insight). I'm guessing you mean to work for free along side a professional, but using the project as a framework for learning. It depends on who is doing the hiring and how much time they would want to give you in providing feedback and even disclosing the project details if it's under wraps.

Almost sounds like you're looking for a mentor, someone who you respect and want to impress with your work, so you'll be dedicated and challenge yourself.

Snosrap
08-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Yeah the best way to learn LW is through a "real" project IMO. However the "real" project doesn't have to be one that you are being paid to do, just make something up on your own and give yourself what you would think would be a reasonable deadline and go at it. :thumbsup:

stevenpalomino
08-16-2010, 06:44 PM
something I would recommend is going to a site like www.guru.com or other freelancer websites and see if you can get some jobs that way. that's opened me up to things I wouldn't normally be exposed to. Most of the time they are small quick jobs too. So you can do one quickly and move on to the next and improve that way. Of course, you could always show your work to a friend or someone you trust to crique!

jameswillmott
08-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Do a real project, do one at a time, and put 100% into it. Don't try to do more than one at once to start with.