PDA

View Full Version : Pushing the 1 million particle limit in lightwave 10!

prometheus
08-16-2010, 07:16 AM
Just wishing for that one million limit to be removed for single emitters.

Push that software.

Michael

aurora
08-16-2010, 08:40 AM
You can go higher, you just can't render the buggers without separating them and rendering in passes and that's a royal PITA. Personally I want >1 billion (happiest with about 20-50 billion) but I'm the rare exception to the rule. The sad part is even if we got a multi-billion pFX/HV system, once I generated all of them I'd want to start throwing dynamics into the system and well without a magny-cours blade, calc times could get somewhat ugly.

prometheus
08-16-2010, 08:50 AM
yeah I know I can get higher amounts with multi emitters, but I mentioned for one single emitter.
Ive just started to play with a 64 bit system now and I actually
thought I could get higher amounts than one million for a single emitter.

I believe I will face som problems too trying to get my voxel spins(displaced geometry with hv sprites) to have
more voxels on them.

voxel spin
http://vimeo.com/1539143

Michael

aurora
08-16-2010, 09:02 AM
I run into problems between 1 and 1.5 million on 64 bit so the greatness of 64bit does not help much. Running dynamic calcs on 1 million particles often causes crashes so if I'm using LW to run dynamics of particles I usually use only 500,000 particles in my emitters.
More often then not these days I just whip up a new plugin to do what I need and then have it kick out calced .pfx files to add the HV's to and render. I just make sure that the .pfx files have about 1 million particle limits in them. Its a pain but it works.
I'm just happy we are finally past the 100k limit of the past where in I was actually lucky to get above 50k most of the time.

erikals
08-17-2010, 03:58 PM
maybe HDi can fix it?

aurora
08-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Not in my case. I use it for my astro-simulations. Its all done with extremely complex calcs performed on super-clusters and then converted to pFX files. I just use LW to render as I can add in all kind of coolness I can't with normal, limited, viz programs.