PDA

View Full Version : Tricaster2FCP - a Mac tool to losslessly rewrap MPEGs into FCP compatible QuickTimes

Dimitry G
08-16-2010, 04:17 AM
I wrote a small AppleScript app to losslessly rewrap Tricaster XD300 and XD850 generated HQ MPEGs into Final Cut Pro compatible QuickTimes :) It's very fast (10x real time on my Mac Pro) and video is left completely untouched and simply passed through with the audio transcoded to Uncompressed PCM. There is no generation loss, no quality loss, no extra codecs to worry about, simply pick the files you want to process and you're good to go!

I originally started writing this for myself but decided to share, knowing how much trouble a lot of you have been having trying to bring your XD300 recordings into Final Cut. I have only tested it with 720p NTSC files, but it should work with others. Non HQ files will most likely not work.

Feel free to use it but please keep in mind it's a very, very early version and there may be issues. Report your success (or horror) stories here and I will do my best to fix any bugs and add any requested functionality. Also if there's interest, I may write something similar for Windows.

TakeOneDigital
08-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Any idea if this will work for the older Tricasters in the HQ mode?

Dimitry G
08-17-2010, 02:03 AM
Any idea if this will work for the older Tricasters in the HQ mode?

Unfortunately, no. The only standard definition professional MPEG-2 based format Final Cut supports is D10, which has a resolution of 720x512. Tricaster SD mpegs, however, are 720x480 so the rewrapping doesn't work.

joseburgos
08-17-2010, 07:37 AM
I'll see if I can find a way to test it next week. I don't have FCP but a few people ask me from time to time and I would love to pass this on to them :)

Good work,

treshawks
09-18-2010, 05:26 AM
This sounds promising. I'll try to give it a go Monday. Thanks for sharing!

albeejames
12-31-2010, 01:33 PM
Hi all.
I have some experience with automator, not a lot, but some and I was looking for some advice.

Where do you recommend we save the downloaded script?

csandy
01-01-2011, 05:44 PM
I wrote a small AppleScript app to losslessly rewrap Tricaster XD300 and XD850 generated HQ MPEGs into Final Cut Pro compatible QuickTimes :) It's very fast (10x real time on my Mac Pro) and video is left completely untouched and simply passed through with the audio transcoded to Uncompressed PCM. There is no generation loss, no quality loss, no extra codecs to worry about, simply pick the files you want to process and you're good to go!

I originally started writing this for myself but decided to share, knowing how much trouble a lot of you have been having trying to bring your XD300 recordings into Final Cut. I have only tested it with 720p NTSC files, but it should work with others. Non HQ files will most likely not work.

Feel free to use it but please keep in mind it's a very, very early version and there may be issues. Report your success (or horror) stories here and I will do my best to fix any bugs and add any requested functionality. Also if there's interest, I may write something similar for Windows.

Thank you.

digiview
01-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Hi Dimitry G thanks for posting your conversion tool I am trying to find a fast software solution to convert Tricaster High Profile PAL files so I can edit them in FCP.

I have tried your tool only to find it did not work on Pal 1080i so I reset the Tricaster to NTSC and tried again this time the conversion worked and the images look great but no audio?

My system
McPro 8 core OS 10.6 Snow Leopard
QT X

Thanks

digiview
01-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Hi Dimitry,
Further to my previous post I was using old media generated on XD300 V1 that did not work. Media generated in Pal on XD300 V2c works fine no problems the conversion is fast and the quality of the vision and audio is excellent.

This is a must have utility.
Well done.

Dimitry G
01-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi all.
I have some experience with automator, not a lot, but some and I was looking for some advice.

Where do you recommend we save the downloaded script?
No in-depth knowledge of scripting is needed to use my tool. The script in this case is packaged as an app, so operation is like any other app - double click to open it and go from there. You may save it anywhere you wish, for simplicity put it in your Applications folder along with your other apps.

Hi Dimitry,
Further to my previous post I was using old media generated on XD300 V1 that did not work. Media generated in Pal on XD300 V2c works fine no problems the conversion is fast and the quality of the vision and audio is excellent.
Hmm, I did not know there were differences in recordings between the XD300 versions. Are you recording 1080i or 720p? In my tests, I could not get 1080i to successfully rewrap at all (most likely having to do with the way the fields are coded), but that may have changed in XD300 software updates. Perhaps you could send me some samples for further testing.

digiview
01-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Hi Dimitry,
All my work is in PAL 1080i recorded HQ mode. When I first tried your utility I use an old project file that was recorded with the Tricaster V1 software and it did not work which prompted the first post. The next day I had just come back with a live recording from the previous night and tried again and it worked. The only difference is that the current recording was done with Tricaster 2C software. I have just discovered that if I playback the V1 clip in the DDR and record it again and then use your utility it then works, but that means applying more compression to an already compressed file. I am not to concerned as all my clips recorded with Tricaster V1 software are only there for archival use and I really do not expect to have to rework may of them.
The recordings are all live concerts running for 90 min duration and large file size.

The important thing is it works with my current software.

Many thanks

h4x354x0r
03-30-2011, 01:33 PM
We just got a Tri-caster, and have a Mac FCP editing environment. Your applescript works great to transcode files from the TriCaster, and gets the audio too! Just download the script, clickety-click, and Ta-Da! We're working with our TriCaster files. It's so painless it's an absolute pleasure.

Thank you very much for sharing your work!

edmellnik
04-22-2011, 04:11 PM
I read this thread thru twice and still unclear...
Is this utility for HD 720p or Standard Def?
and will it work with XD850 HQ mpegs that are 720P?

ed

joseburgos
04-23-2011, 07:58 AM
720P HQ files for sure not sure about 1080.

joseburgos
05-04-2011, 07:07 PM
I had a client test it in 1080 and he said it works great but I gave him a clip with four tracks of audio and he does not see them. So does the script handle the audio correctly?
Anyone able to test? I did not do the testing so not sure if it was an error on his part in viewing the four tracks in FCP or if the script striped the 3rd and 4th track?

Thank you,

TakeOneDigital
05-05-2011, 12:06 AM
I imag'd the Dalai Lama on Tuesday at USC with my new Tricaster tcxd300 in 1080i and this worked perfectly on the file with 2ch audio. Love it! Any ideas how to keep FCP from wanting to render it all, though?

Ty Whitaker
05-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks Dimitry G! This is great. I have 3 SpeedEDIT bays but also have 3 other people using FCP.

We just bought a Tricaster850 and will be recording live satelite uplinks for my Final Cut users. I was dreading having to convert the files for them. Since it's so easy I'm using SpeedEDIT to right click and convert every file that FCP has a problem with. But it takes time and ties up 2 bays. This way they can do the job and save themselves a step (and a render as TakeOne pointed out). Is there a way to keep FCP from always wanting to re-render?

Unfortunately we won't have the new control room and TriCaster up till this summer but next week I'll try to do some testing. Thanks again for such a helpful app.

joseburgos
05-06-2011, 07:36 AM
I imag'd the Dalai Lama on Tuesday at USC with my new Tricaster tcxd300 in 1080i and this worked perfectly on the file with 2ch audio. Love it! Any ideas how to keep FCP from wanting to render it all, though?

I am going to test four audio tracks next week to see if the script passes all four along. The quality and two audio channels work with 720P and 1080i in my test with the clients. Now I need to make sure all four tracks, when used, are passed along :)

And yes again, this is a great script:thumbsup:

Dimitry G
05-09-2011, 04:01 AM
Thanks for all the comments, guys. I've updated the tool to now support 4-channel audio, you will be presented with a dialog of whether you want to process it (as all Tricaster HD recordings contain 4 channels, whether they are MOS or otherwise) and how you want to treat them (Discrete mono or Stereo Pair).

Further, all flavors of HD Tricaster recordings (720p24, 720p60, 720p50, 1080i60, 1080i50, 1080p24, 1080p25, and 1080p30) are now fully supported and correct codec assignments are made. Any previous issues with Final Cut wanting to render 1080i content should be gone.

All generated QuickTimes will now include a Time of Day timecode track, derived from the Creation timestamp of the original MPG recording, and can be used as a reference when syncing your linecut with ISOs rolled in cameras. If this information is important to you, make sure when copying files off the Tricaster media drive you preserve the original timestamp. While Mac OS does this by default, Windows does not and overwrites the creation timestamp with the time the copy takes place. I recommend a freeware utility called Teracopy (http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php), which preserves the timestamps, reports copy speed statistics and calculates checksums to make sure your transfers are 100% intact.

Last, I've added transcoding of SD recordings to DVCPro50. I picked this format as it's 100% compatible with Final Cut Pro and offers a tremendous increase in quality over DV (double the bitrate and 4:2:2 chroma).

As for some reason I am unable to edit my original post (where did the edit button go?) I have uploaded the tool to my server: http://www.czartv.com/Tricaster2FCP-0.3.zip

Enjoy and happy rewrapping!

joseburgos
05-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Dimitry,
Thank you and this is a great thing you have done. The four audio tracks, all the resolutions and the time of day time code is just amazing features you have added.
Question, do you need to have FCP on the Mac to use the script? I don't think so but of course you would know :)
The SD Transcode is for normal and high recordings and from SD TriCaster and XD TriCaster?

Thank you,

Dimitry G
05-09-2011, 08:39 AM
You're very welcome! You are correct, you don't need FCP to use the script, but you wouldn't be able to playback the resulting files as the XDCAM codecs ship with Final Cut. You may of course copy the codecs over from another system, I don't see anything wrong with that...

The SD transcode is indeed for normal and hq recordings from both the SD and HD(XD) Tricasters.

Felipe Arruda
05-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Works great on SD video. Around 55~75fps on a core2duo iMac :thumbsup:

A minor issue is that I can't encode trough the network. I need to copy the file, then convert.

Bud It's way faster than my usual workflow:
Convert using compressor to ProRes 422 profile.

TakeOneDigital
05-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Hey Dimitry- I downloaded the 0.3 version, but it errors with "Can't get text 12 thru 13 of ""." after it asks about the channel 3 and 4 audio. Not sure if this is a bug that only I get or what? Any ideas? or new build? version 0.1 still works for me.

Felipe Arruda
05-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Exactly, I get "Can't get text 12 thru 13 of ""." when I try to encode trough the network.

joseburgos
05-16-2011, 06:39 PM
I get the same error choosing stereo, mono or no to tracks 3 and 4.

joseburgos
05-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Dimitry,
Just bumping this in hopes for a fix to the 3&4 audio track issue.

Thank you,

jdinsmoor
06-01-2011, 06:12 PM
I am unclear how to get the data from the Tricaster to the Mac. None of my external drives will show up on the Tricaster.

cuspclub
07-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Dimitry,
Thanks for your work on this. I tried to download it but the link from your earlier post is dead. Could you repost the current download link?

jdinsmoor,
The easiest way is to format an external usb hard drive in NTFS from a Windows machine, copy the data from the Tricaster to the external drive, then your Mac can read them (macs can read NTFS by default but not write to a NTFS drive without third party software).

If you were to use a FAT32 drive you would have a 4GB per file size limit which would not be good for large recordings.

Malapati
08-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you could help me out with the following problem ...
We are recoring on the brand new TriCaster Extreme in its native mpeg 2 codec.
Upon exporting the clip (as the "same as source" profile in the Tricasters "Manage" Page) and bringing this clip into Final Cut Pro 7 the Time Code vanishes....

In other words the uintegrity of the file is not kept the same.

Have you managed to import Mpeg 2 exported from Tricaster 850 or Tricaster 850 Extreme into FCP correctly?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

all the best
Nino

Yeusef
08-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Now that this supports SD TC files i am REALLY interested. Anyone have an updated download link?

Yeusef
08-04-2011, 11:46 AM
In my experience, the files output from this "Re-wrap" can not be opened in Final Cut EXPRESS. Is this the case? I am guessing that the DVCPro HD and DVCPro 50 codec's are not in FCE. Am i missing something? I am a FCE user, not FCP.

joseburgos
08-04-2011, 11:57 AM
I believe it rewrap it to XDCAM codec.

Quiet1onTheSet
08-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks for all the comments, guys...

Last, I've added transcoding of SD recordings to DVCPro50. I picked this format as it's 100% compatible with Final Cut Pro and offers a tremendous increase in quality over DV (double the bitrate and 4:2:2 chroma).

As for some reason I am unable to edit my original post (where did the edit button go?) I have uploaded the tool to my server: http://www.czartv.com/Tricaster2FCP-0.3.zip

Enjoy and happy rewrapping!

With all of this good news, I'm hoping the link above will be able to work again and soon? As of this evening, at least -- the above link was inoperable.

Would love to try this version (or an even further improved iteration if you've got one), Dimitry. Although I have yet to experience it, thanks for your fantastic contribution to this community!

Q1
:thumbsup:

Yeusef
08-08-2011, 07:04 AM
The link in the VERY FIRST post has been updated. According to others, this IS the updated link and you will find the software there.

joseburgos
08-08-2011, 03:21 PM
The link in the VERY FIRST post has been updated. According to others, this IS the updated link and you will find the software there.

Yup and it works just fine except four tracks of audio had an issue and not sure if corrected yet. Otherwise this Apple script is perfect :thumbsup:

abcwille
08-23-2011, 07:10 AM

Why is the FCP version 0.1 in the first post and 0.3 in the link you put up later ?

Is there a difference in two versions ?

Just for the record. It works like a charm :-)

Thomas

joseburgos
08-23-2011, 07:40 AM
The latest version added four tracks of audio.

brianone20
09-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Unreal, thank you so much.

dpavid
09-05-2011, 03:58 AM
http://flvcrunch.awardspace.us/

This app works perfect for Tricaster to FCP.

keminyssa
09-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Dimitry, I downloaded the script and it works beautifully! You saved me!

Thanks,
Kemi

txiong
09-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Can someone explain to me how to run the script? I have the mpg from TC300, transfer it to my G5 and it can't read it so do I run the script on my mac and how do I do that? This is my first time on xd300.

joseburgos
09-20-2011, 12:05 PM
You just double click on the script to run it after you download it. I never used it on a G5, only Intel CPU as a note.

Take care,

2reverb
10-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Works like a charm on 1080i. Looks like it's XDCam HD422.

Yeusef
01-11-2012, 09:10 AM
FYI:

Although the release notes specifically state that this tool will not work with SD tricasters..... It works for me.

Tricaster Studio in "Studio Profile" mode.

TTFNTV
01-16-2012, 07:10 AM
Great script thanks!

Looks like the link in the first post downloads version 0.1 and the link to version 3 (http://www.czartv.com/Tricaster2FCP-0.3.zip) no longer works.

joseburgos
01-16-2012, 09:42 AM
I noticed this as well and hope Dimitry post a new link as I often recommended it to users.

Vilhjalmur
03-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Does anyone know where the most recent version can be accessed (I'm guessing it is the .03)?

In case anybody else has run into this:
Used the .01 vesion to rewrap 1080/25i material on OSX 10.7.
File will play in QT
Using AMA linking in Avid it appears with only the top half of the frame in the source monitor (and behaves badly...)
Both the Avid AMA linked clip and the QT playback seem to indicate the clip has been changed to 30fps (59 or 60 fields to be exact).

Vil Hjalmarsson
Iceland

csandy
05-01-2012, 08:15 PM
How come Iceland has a lot of greenery and Greenland is mostly ice? Seriously.

PM me if you still need help.

joseburgos
05-02-2012, 12:49 PM
How come Iceland has a lot of greenery and Greenland is mostly ice? Seriously.

Pillaging comes to mind :D

DanielG
07-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Awesome tool thanks so much

Vilhjalmur
10-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Iceland / Greenland ... they say it was a marketing trick.

Iceland: It's a nice land – let's make sure not to many people flock over here and call it Iceland.

Greenland: Leif Eiriksson father [Eirk the read] amongst others wanted people to move over there – so they called it Greenland.

;-)

But on the Mac codec issue: We are still having trouble getting the media fast into Avid MC on OSX ... any ideas much appreciated!

Ben Ellingson
11-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Any luck with the version 3 link? This will save me some serious rendering time if it works… Currently the only solution that has worked for me is AVS video converter. But, it takes 2x the recorded length to render and quality is reduced… You help is very much appreciated!

fuelcreative
01-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Any update on the .3 update? Sorenson Squeeze works but it takes much longer and I'm going to have several hours to convert over the weekend. Great utility!

Felipe Arruda
07-14-2014, 07:25 AM
Don't know if is stilll useful.
Here is the 0.3 version of Tricaster2FCP

If the author want it removed, just ask.
If not and want it to be improved, send the source to SourceForge.

Thanks!