PDA

View Full Version : Noobie question-Exporting LT to Tricaster

kricher
08-14-2010, 07:27 PM
I am very new at all this. I have LT2 on my laptop and I'm trying to create titles offline for use on my TC Studio. Whenever I try to open the CG file on the Tricaster, it freezes and I have to do a hard shutdown. Likewise whenever I take a CG file from the TC and try to open it in LT2 on my laptop, the program freezes and I have to end task. What am I missing?

-Ken

ZachSchuster
08-14-2010, 07:55 PM
It may be that TC Studio is not compatible with LT2 files. LT2 is still a "new" release, and an update for Studio has not come out since LT2's release.

That being said, is there a particular reason, if you have a laptop running LT2, that you aren't using that laptop for live productions? There are huge advantages to running CG on a separate workstation. All you need to do is make sure the laptop and the Studio are on the same network.

Just my opinion. There may be other factors limiting you from using your laptop during live productions.

kricher
08-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Hi Zach,
I know it works really slick to run a laptop for graphics and we probably will some of the time. I was just thinking that I could work back and forth between the two and have my CG pages loaded on the TC for those times we don't have the manpower or desire to run the laptop alongside.

I'll have to do some reading in the LT2 documentation and see if it says anything about not being compatible with TC Studio's version of LT. I'm not running any datalink communication, these are just very simple pages.

-Ken

SBowie
08-15-2010, 06:35 AM
If memory serves, I think LT2 .cg files are not backwards compatible with older versions. That is to say, you can't load a .cg file from LT2 into LT 1.x (or Edit Text on an SD version TriCaster); or, for that matter, SE 1.0 or Edit Media. (Naturally, you can do the reverse, though.)

You should, however, be successful sending the display from LT2 to the Ext input of an SD TriCaster across a network connection. Also, you can export title pages from LT2 as bitmap files (still or animated) that can be displayed on TriCaster. The export dialog allows you to select the bitmap export resolution (and aspect).

To create title templates (rather than exported images) you need to run directly on the TriCaster, use the integrated Edit Text.

kricher
08-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks for your reply.

I guess that makes sense with what I'm experiencing. I have no trouble displaying LT2 on the Tricaster accross the network. That works just fine as expected. I guess I'll have to load LT1 on another laptop if I want to create titles on-the-road and then transfer them back to Tricaster to use.

Exporting as Bitmaps isn't an option either as the titles I'm building have some transparent space in them.

SBowie
08-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Exporting as Bitmaps isn't an option either as the titles I'm building have some transparent space in them.Exported files are 32bit, and retain transparency.

kricher
08-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks! I'll try that. Told you I was new at this.....

SBowie
08-15-2010, 01:26 PM
No problem - just to mention it, when exporting from LT2 for an SD TriCaster, remember to select one of the SD options in the export panel.

joseburgos
08-15-2010, 03:50 PM
LT2 should have a "Save As LT1" project to allow it to be used with TriCaster Pro - Broadcast.
Just as an FYI, it crashes VT[5] CG Designer as well.

kricher
08-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Jose, That would be very helpful.

SBowie
08-16-2010, 05:35 AM
It's a thought, but I think there are so many changes in the project format it would be quite difficult. I wouldn't hold my breath, I don't think. (There are a lot more new things I'd like to see added to LT, rather than looking fondly backwards.)

It's not really unusual for new versions of various apps to be able to load old project formats, but not save them. And it can be safely assumed that most who need to be able to load an old project have either Edit Text, CG Designer, or LT1, so they do have a way to create the old format .cg files.

And it's not as though the creative toolset in LT2 is radically new. You could make pretty much anything you can build with LT2 in LT1 (and its siblings) ... except HD pages, of course, but that's pretty much irrelevant for the older systems anyway (the exception being SE1.x).

joseburgos
08-16-2010, 07:06 PM
It's a thought, but I think there are so many changes in the project format it would be quite difficult. I wouldn't hold my breath, I don't think. (There are a lot more new things I'd like to see added to LT, rather than looking fondly backwards.)

It's not really unusual for new versions of various apps to be able to load old project formats, but not save them. And it can be safely assumed that most who need to be able to load an old project have either Edit Text, CG Designer, or LT1, so they do have a way to create the old format .cg files.

And it's not as though the creative toolset in LT2 is radically new. You could make pretty much anything you can build with LT2 in LT1 (and its siblings) ... except HD pages, of course, but that's pretty much irrelevant for the older systems anyway (the exception being SE1.x).

I agree except in this case, the alternative to adding a save as LT1 would be to update TC to version 2.X to except LT2 projects, templates, etc. Otherwise no one with a TC can ever upgrade to LT2 and no one with a TC can purchase LT2 and only LT which also is not good for NewTek.

SBowie
08-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Otherwise no one with a TC can ever upgrade to LT2 and no one with a TC can purchase LT2 and only LT which also is not good for NewTek.Not to suggest TC won't ever see it's text tools updated, can't really offer a prediction on that ... but the generalization above is not really true, Josť.

LT's main mission is not the creation of .cg files or Title Templates, and those chores wouldn't ever have been a reason for very many to buy it - whether version 1 or 2. Keep in mind that anyone with a TC (or VT) already has an integrated CG tool capable of creating both of those formats, and is not likely to lay out nearly a grand for another one.

Rather, LT is primarily a live text tool. LT1 extended TC's text capabilities quite a bit, and LT2 brings substantial additional power. TC has no trouble displaying LT2 live output, and that's really the main thing by a long shot.

joseburgos
08-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Ok I will agree with that but because it can save a .cg file, leaves the door open IMHO, to a possible problem, no?
Hey is there a section in the LT2 document explaining this?

PS I would still like to see an upgrade to TC to be able to except these files ;)

ZachSchuster
08-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Not to be Mr. Snooty, but Jose, you should be using the word "accept" not "except."

Looking forward, I'd agree that it would be nice to see SD models have some means of ACCEPTING :) LT2 files by means of an export from LT2.

More importantly, I'd like to see fixes to the numerous and well-documented problems that users experience when exporting to and modifying titles in the Live Production CG window. These problems have persisted and I shouldn't have to go through one of Jose's (very helpful) walkthroughs on how to fix my titles via Notepad.

joseburgos
08-17-2010, 07:31 AM
I think I used it right at the start of the sentence and then used it wrong the 2nd time, thank you sir.
As far as also fixing issues in Edit Text, definitely :)
Not to slightly change subject but yesterday, I sent a title page for live in XD300 and when I opened it in Live, I could not edit the text fields :(
I plan on going back to it today/tomorrow to study the why to see if was me (I can be dangerous sometimes doing things it was never intended to do) or a possible problem with LT in XD300.

PS Is the Edit Text in XD300 LT2 just without datalink or what exactly is it?
PPS Thank you Zach. I do put some work into those tutorials, workarounds and tip/tricks.

Thanks in advance,

SBowie
08-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Is the Edit Text in XD300 LT2 just without datalink or what exactly is it?To be pedantic, there is no "Edit Text" in TCXD300 (or 850). The "Graphics" icon on the Session page in Startup launches a full version of LT2; but as (by deliberate design) it launches from the Startup Screen, it cannot be run at the same time at the Live Desktop. Hence, unlike the standalone version, it is intended for title page authoring, rather than live display. (For the same reason, DataLink features are not relevant apart from a standalone version.)

joseburgos
08-17-2010, 08:57 AM
To be pedantic, there is no "Edit Text" in TCXD300 (or 850). The "Graphics" icon on the Session page in Startup launches a full version of LT2; but as (by deliberate design) it launches from the Startup Screen, it cannot be run at the same time at the Live Desktop. Hence, unlike the standalone version, it is intended for title page authoring, rather than live display. (For the same reason, DataLink features are not relevant apart from a standalone version.)

Sorry I need to focus a little better now that I am going back and forth from TC to TCXD :)
Thank you for the explanation and it makes total sense about datalink in the included Graphics/LT2 that comes with the TCXD.

Take care,

ZachSchuster
08-17-2010, 03:04 PM
But if you bring a title into Live Production on the TCXD300, you can click on the gear to "open" it. Text fields and "placeholder" images can in fact be edited in the live environment... unless that function has been removed.

SBowie
08-17-2010, 04:07 PM
... unless that function has been removed.Nope, everything else being equal, TCXD style "Title Pages" exported from the integrated LT2 can be edited in that manner. (Obviously that wouldn't be true for bitmap exports.)

joseburgos
08-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Yes but for some reason, a title I sent to live lost this ability yesterday. I am not sure what I did to make this happen so tomorrow I will try and recreate my steps to see how this came to be. Very strange and the first time that has happened to me making a title for live in XD300. It has to be something to do with the way I layered the text, drawings and images that caused this to happen but really not sure because it always has worked. Tomorrow I will get to the bottom of it, I'm sure.

SBowie
08-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Oh wait - I bet I know what it was.

There was an issue (greatly improved now) that occasionally could result in the title edit panel taking an exceptionally long time to open. I forget the exact details now, and Fogbugz seems to be having a fit so I can't check it. But I think maybe that's what you ran into.

joseburgos
08-17-2010, 05:04 PM
I ran into that as well, which also never happened before. No I was able to open the title using the gear but none of the layers were editable :(
Tomorrow, I will see I can make it do that again.
I do remember adding some text away from the lower third and away from all the layers I had to test, and that new text alone was allowing me to edit it but not the rest of the title.
Very strange,

ZachSchuster
08-17-2010, 05:29 PM
So Steve... where do you go when the bug reporting software has a bug?

That's right up there with imagining the sound of one hand clapping...

Okay, I'm done... this thread can get back on track.

joseburgos
08-18-2010, 07:22 PM
I ran into that as well, which also never happened before. No I was able to open the title using the gear but none of the layers were editable :(
Tomorrow, I will see I can make it do that again.
I do remember adding some text away from the lower third and away from all the layers I had to test, and that new text alone was allowing me to edit it but not the rest of the title.
Very strange,

I tried and I tried and I could not reproduce the problem. All test today made perfect title template. Glad it was just that one time but I'll keep a look out :)