PDA

View Full Version : Does any version of Lightwave allow the editing of multiple lights at the same time?

PhotoTekArtWork
08-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Iíve searched for the answer to this problem, but havenít found it yet.

Does any version of Lightwave allow the editing of multiple lights at the same time? For example: I want to change 100 lights from spotlights to point lights at the same time. Not one at a time. I also want to edit other parameters and have them be the same on all lights.

Thanks for any help.

nickdigital
08-14-2010, 11:26 AM
If it's not in the latest version of LW then there's not going to be an older version that allows this.

You could try these.
http://flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=994
http://www.arrakis.es/~juanj/
http://flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1184
http://flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=2555

You could also try the Scene Editor or the Spreadsheet Scene Manager.

UnCommonGrafx
08-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Scene editor.
And you have to learn about that little arsed column that allows you to select them all to work on. That may be what you've been missing thus far...

PhotoTekArtWork
08-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. I did look in the Scene Editor before I posted, but didnít find what I was looking for. Iíll look at Scene Manager to see if I missed anything. Thanks for reminding me about Flay. I forgot about that website. Having this would be a nice addition to Lightwave. Iíll go post it under future requests in Core. Thanks again for your help.:)

UnCommonGrafx
08-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Seriously, for most of what you asked for, it's already there.

I think you missed it in the scene editor. For example, in the scene editor, you can select multiple lights and change them all to one kind. The 'trick', though, is to select the LITTLE BITTY COLUMN to the left of any larger, labelled column. Then, a panel will pop up that asks what all you want to do.
Selecting the names, or any of these larger, labelled columns, won't allow the changes you want.

nickdigital
08-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Just to be clear it's the new Scene Editor that UnCommon is talking about. Not the Classic Scene Editor.

PhotoTekArtWork
08-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks, I'll look again. I must have just missed it.

PhotoTekArtWork
08-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Well, I tried both Lightwave Layout versions 9.6.x and 10, and neither one would work like I wanted. I can only modify one light at a time, not a group.

Would you see if you can modify a group of lights and let me know. Thanks

The Scientist
08-14-2010, 04:52 PM
This video should help out:

h2oStudios
08-14-2010, 04:54 PM
:thumbsup:

edit: lol, Scientist, What made you decide to change the colors to green?? Some weird telepathic stuff going on here, lol.

Ztreem
08-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Yes, you can modify several lights at once. Just hold shift and select the lights you want to edit in the scene editor. It's a small column in the right side panel. You may have to select edit light - basic in the top drop down menu first. I don't have lightwave in front of me at the moment so I can't be more specific.

PhotoTekArtWork
08-14-2010, 05:07 PM
FANTASTIC!!!!!! Thatís just what I was looking for. THANKS for the great video. It really helped. You have really increased my workflow.

My problem was that I didnít have the correct tab selected and my window was set too small to see other options. Thanks again everyone for all the help.:)

UnCommonGrafx
08-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Like I said, the ITTY BITTY COLUMN is what you want.

:)

nickdigital
08-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Like I said, the ITTY BITTY

...teensy weeny yellow....

ok i'll stop. :)

The Scientist
08-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Like I said, the ITTY BITTY COLUMN is what you want.

That's where I figured the confusion was.

Didn't want to take any cred for your answer though. Just wanted to back it up with a vid.

The Scientist
08-14-2010, 05:37 PM
:thumbsup:

edit: lol, Scientist, What made you decide to change the colors to green?? Some weird telepathic stuff going on here, lol.

Great minds my friend.:lol:

UnCommonGrafx
08-14-2010, 05:45 PM
That's where I figured the confusion was.

Didn't want to take any cred for your answer though. Just wanted to back it up with a vid.

Chuckle, my friend, it's all about us helping someone out. I can't take credit for someone else explaining it to me when they made the change.
Your vid link is something I'll try to keep in mind to share when this comes up again.

And... it will...
Blasted itsy bitsy... I'll let it go...

evenflcw
08-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Actually... the Scene Editor isn't enough. It's hardcoded so 3rd party lights aren't available. NT needs to implement a LightType command, use it themselves, and the (not so) New Scene Editor needs to be updated to update it's light type list dynamically. Sorry to be a spoil-sport. It's good if it worked for you though, but in no way is it proper and sufficient.

Cageman
08-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Actually... the Scene Editor isn't enough. It's hardcoded so 3rd party lights aren't available. NT needs to implement a LightType command, use it themselves, and the (not so) New Scene Editor needs to be updated to update it's light type list dynamically. Sorry to be a spoil-sport. It's good if it worked for you though, but in no way is it proper and sufficient.

DP Lights do show up there...

evenflcw
08-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Oh Really. All I can see is that my light prop panel list was longer than the list in SE. Maybe a recent change? I'd still like the commands. But perhaps they've added that aswell. :)

UnCommonGrafx
08-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Yeah, never seen that, evenflcw.
{Edit: Got it; I see what you are saying. Correct, they show up as Unknown. The below might or not apply.
Edit2: DP lights don't show up for me in the SE.}
Seems that's on the 3rd party devver to make sure it's compliant.
Your attempt at being a spoil-sport actually falls short in this situation. Nice try, though.

Your suggestions are a good idea, though.

Cageman
08-14-2010, 06:32 PM
I can change between the different DP-lights as well as native lights. It seems to be some confusion on how to do it though, so I've done a short video about it.

Link! (ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21/Cageman_SceneEditor_and_Lights/SceneEditor_and_Lights.mp4)

UnCommonGrafx
08-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Well done, Cageman. Not paid attention to the extra stuff listed.

ingo
08-15-2010, 03:29 AM
Btw, it works much simpler with the Classic Scene Editor, just select all the lights you want to change and open the properties panel. But be aware you can't change everything (as usual with LWs gui), for example exclude objects from those selected lights.

PhotoTekArtWork
08-15-2010, 03:51 AM
I'm glad I asked the question. I've gotten alot of good information. Thanks again everyone for all your help.:D