PDA

View Full Version : Quidam 3 figure seperating from its skeleton!!

Paul_Boland
08-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Hi Folks.

I'm in need of a bit of help. I've imported a Quidam 3 male figure into Lightwave using the Quidam to Lightwave exporter. All is well. I then spend time posing the figure in Lightwave and then get to work on other parts of the scene. At some point the Quidam figure mesh seperates from the skeleton and the mesh returns to a T-stance while the skeleton is visible still in the pose I put it in, I've attached a pic.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here and how to stop it from happening? Is there a way to get the mesh of the man to retake the pose of the skeleton without having to reimport the model and pose him all over again!?! It's very frustrating when this happens!!

SplineGod
08-13-2010, 09:09 PM
The bones may not have been RESTED.
To do this the pose of the bones needs to closely match the pose of the mesh as much as possible. Select all the bones and hit the r key.
If the mesh and bones are in separate layers its also possible that they lost their connection. You would need to:
Select the mesh, then click on the bones tab. Select use bones from...and select the layer containing the bones.
Another possibility is that the bones are assigned to weight maps that done exist in the mesh.

Paul_Boland
08-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks, SplineGod. So in other words I need to reload and repose the character. What a bummer. Appreciate your input though, thanks.

SplineGod
08-14-2010, 09:22 PM
You should always have a way to get to a rest pose in case you need to rerest the bones. It can happen for a number of reasons. :)
I tend to use IKBoost for saving and reusing poses but there are also 3rd party scripts/plugins that can save and reuse poses.

Paul_Boland
08-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks. I've noticed the problem, just don't know what's causing it or how to stop it. I am cloning that chain you see in the pic and at some point, after cloning a number of links, when I clone one more link the mesh takes on the T-stance while the skeleton retains the pose. If I undo (CTRL+Z) the clone of the chain link, the mesh returns to its skeleton position. But when I clone the link again, the mesh loses the skeleton stance!?!

In the mean time, what I've done is, once I get the character into the stance I want, I save a new scene of that. Then, should this problem appear, I can delete the man and import from scene the saved man stance.

I've also posted this question to the Quidam website forum to see if they can help.

Thanks again, SlineGod, for the advice, much appreciated.

Paul_Boland
08-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Right, this is driving me nuts!! Here is a sample scene file with this error in it:
http://www.iol.ie/~pkb/Lightwave%20Quidam%20Error.rar

Load the file Lightwave Quidam Error Scene into Lightwave's Layout. When you do, it will say it can't locate Lady and Chain, this is due to different paths, just select Yes to locate the file yourself and go to this folder and all will load.

When the scene loads, you'll see a lady in a running stance and a number of chain links by her feet. Select one of the chain links (I think one is already selected when the scene loads) and pressed CTRL+C to Clone the object, or select Clone from the Item tab. A box will appear asking how many clones you want to make, just leave it at 1 and click Ok.

A new clone of the chain link is created. But look... The mesh of the Lady has lost its stance with its skeleton. The Lady mesh will take on a T-stance, as such, while her bones are still in the running stance she has been set to.

Does anyone know what's going on here and how to stop this??? I've also posted this to the N-Sided Quidam Help forum to try and get this resolved.

Paul_Boland
08-28-2010, 01:37 PM
I have removed the download file above (can't figure out how to edit the post above to remove the link??). It was brought to my attention that I am not allowed to release an exported Quidam figure. How else am I suppose to release a sample file for testing??? Anyway, it would seem this error doesn't happen in Lightwave 9.6 so it must be something in 8.5 that's causing it.