PDA

View Full Version : Sound making (for individual artist)

Dick Ma
09-18-2003, 12:01 AM
I would like to ask some individual animation artist,

Apart from animation making, how do you deal with sound?

Do you make sound effects on your own, find someone to make it for you or just get one MTV to make animation according to the MTV?

If you do it your own, how do you capture sounds?

I think it is an interesting topic for LW forum.

WizCraker
09-18-2003, 12:48 AM
Sound Forge from Sonic Foundry (http://www.sonicfoundry.com/products/soundforgefamily.asp)

Dick Ma
09-18-2003, 12:55 AM
I know what Sound forge is but what I interested is how do you capture sounds in the environment? Or for specific purposes. For example if I want to capture door knocking sound, what can I do is the best way? record it with sound recorder and mic, finding source from the internet? hire someone to do it for you?

what is the best solution? if I run a low budget project?

Do individual animators make sound themselves?

Jockomo
09-18-2003, 01:19 AM
You could start off by looking around for some CD's with sound effects on them at record shops. You can probably find something at your local public library. There are quite a few commercial quality sfx libraries available for purchase as well, usually with very good quality. Usually any collection of sound effects are royalty free for use in production. The label will typically spell out the details for you.

If you can't find what you need, you may have to record it yourself. If you have a good soundcard, you may be able to just plug a mic right into it. However be warned that any mic that has a 1/4" or 1/8" headphone style jack is probably not going to give you very good results. You'll want a mic that has a "balanced output" which has 3pins (also called XLR). Also get a balanced mic cable, at the end of which you could put a converter to go from XLR to (prob 1/8th") whatever your soundcard uses.

Probably your best bet, and your only bet if you have to go to a remote area to get your sound, would be a portable DAT machine and mic. A cheap but quality jack of all trades starter mic is a Shure SM57.

retinajoy
09-18-2003, 04:19 AM
Though not as good as DAT, a portable mini disc recorder with a good directional microphone attached, is quality enough for recording a lot of sounds and is cheaper.