PDA

View Full Version : Boolean Won't Work

jimiclaybrooks
08-12-2010, 08:12 PM
I just wanted to put four holes in this gear. The boolean worked on the first three just fine, but the fourth one won't work, no matter what I try. I'm working in vers. 9. Can anyone tell me why this isn't working? :bangwall:

Snosrap
08-12-2010, 08:42 PM
No problem here. Provide your model and I'll check it out.

nickdigital
08-12-2010, 09:03 PM
You could try using the split tool to cut up that large face. Isolate the area that needs to be booleaned.

jimiclaybrooks
08-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks Snosap,
Since I deleted the original Boolean obj this may not help you as you're tryin to help me. But hey, its the thought that counts, and I deeply appreciate it. As you can see, there's no zig-zag pattern on this gear like there is in the photo ref, even tho this one is also not working. So again, I realize that its wrong for me to ask you for help if you can't get the sample that is misbehaving. I've been up since early this am, and its late, so I won't holler till tomorrow. thanks so much for caring,
jimi

Snosrap
08-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Apparently something went awry when you built the gear. Do the following:
1. Select the points that make the holes in your gear.
2. Delete them. --- Notice one side of the gear has an OpenGL error in it indicated by being darker than the other side.
3. Press “m” to merge points. After you merge points you should see that dark face turn to the normal color.
4. Array your Discs that you will use in the Boolean Subtract.
5. Copy and paste one of them and center it.
6. Put gear in foreground and discs in background and run Boolean Subtract. Should work just fine.

Tips

With complex objects you may need to slice up your object to get clean Booleans. This gear is not complex.
99 times out of 100 you will want to merge points after a Boolean subtract. Also sometimes you’ll need to bevel the Boolean faces to eliminate rendering errors. (See attached) Hope this helps.

One last thing, be sure to center your objects, I noticed your center hole was off center and the others were slightly off axis.

TripD
08-12-2010, 11:11 PM
In cases like that, I often go to the Drill tool. some times it works better than booleans.

jimiclaybrooks
08-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. :bowdown:

erikals
08-14-2010, 10:32 PM
also see,

Lightwave plugin - Non-Planar Boolean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPOv5c71FGk
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/max3dc/28801641.html