PDA

View Full Version : Nice LW crowd sim/flythrough

Iain
08-12-2010, 06:42 AM
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=472384705560&ref=mf

I don't think this has been posted here yet. The ever-impressive Mir team knock out a cool project. Worth watching just for the musical pacing.

aurora
08-12-2010, 08:40 AM
OMG, First wonderful archviz!
Secondly my brain is now getting hit with the Thurs curse. First I see Velodrome and being a cyclist I think track cycling. Shows how much I know about soccer (zero). Second I see Olympique de Marseille and freak, say what Marseille is not in the currently actively running for any future Olympics (something I actually know a lot about) did I mention I know almost nothing about soccer as in my entire life I would have to say I have watched <1 hour of soccer all total.

Now back to watching the vid again. Great music and concert at the end! I also love the similarity to The Birds Nest in Beijing.

4dartist
08-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Holy smokes that is some sexy video, makes me want one of those in my back yard.

Cageman
08-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Nice, but that ain't crowd simulation. That is instancing with animation offset. HUGE difference.

:)

Tobian
08-12-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm not sure it matters so much how it was done, what matters is it's awesome, and it really really is! :)

That looks like it's going to be a superb venue for the city! :)

goakes
08-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Outstanding. Loved it all!

digitaldoc
08-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Great!:thumbsup:

Titus
08-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Captivating!

Red_Oddity
08-13-2010, 03:13 AM
Impressive, but having checked their site (http://www.mir.no/) it is obvious they know what they are doing, i don't often get impressed with arch viz, but there's some stunning work there.

archijam
08-13-2010, 03:24 AM
Gorgeous.

I notice that they are adding a very skilled VRay'er to their team too:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6152293&id=208381847432

Gorgeous stuff.

Iain
08-13-2010, 05:38 AM
that ain't crowd simulation. That is instancing with animation offset. HUGE difference.

Hmmmm let's see, a computer generated simulation of a crowd isn't crowd simulation? Of course. :stumped:

I think I remember Mir adding Max and, through that, vray to their pipeline quite a few years ago. Great to see they are still using LW though.

They've always been up there with the best.

walfridson
08-13-2010, 05:54 AM
a computer generated simulation
what has been simulated? ;)

great stuff from the vikings!

Kuzey
08-13-2010, 06:07 AM
There is a section that looks like a straight QT VR movie...quite strange and out of place, not to mention distracting...I think.

Otherwise, cool stuff!

Kuzey

Red_Oddity
08-13-2010, 06:33 AM
There is a section that looks like a straight QT VR movie...quite strange and out of place, not to mention distracting...I think.

Otherwise, cool stuff!

Kuzey

Yeah, they mentioned that on the CGArchitect forum as well, but apparently the client wanted the shot included, not a choice by Mir.

Hieron
08-13-2010, 06:38 AM
Hmmmm let's see, a computer generated simulation of a crowd isn't crowd simulation? Of course. :stumped:

I think I remember Mir adding Max and, through that, vray to their pipeline quite a few years ago. Great to see they are still using LW though.

They've always been up there with the best.

What part is simulated? Heck, what part is animated except the camera and a few people.
The flagwaving (animation offset instances I guess) is great, and distracts from the fact that all people are motionless. Def. no crowd sim here, unless you take it out the commonly used interpretation.

All in all a nice anim, thanks for sharing Iain.

Some arch. shots are stunning indeed. Especially some on their website.

Kuzey
08-13-2010, 06:46 AM
I see...it's them clients again :D

They could have rendered a turnaround view, instead of using that QT VR image, but I guess they didn't have the time.

Kuzey

Iain
08-13-2010, 06:49 AM
Def. no crowd sim here, unless you take it out the commonly used interpretation.

I either really need to brush up on my semantics or I'm watching a different video.
I don't really know or care how they did the crowd but they refer to it as crowd simulation. It is a crowd. It is simulated.

Of all the things you expect to be picked up on when you post something, the LW guys always surprise you!

Hieron
08-13-2010, 06:57 AM
I either really need to brush up on my semantics or I'm watching a different video.
I don't really know or care how they did the crowd but they refer to it as crowd simulation. It is a crowd. It is simulated.

Of all the things you expect to be picked up on when you post something, the LW guys always surprise you!

ow come on... pfff

edit: everyone was positive and some just noted that isn't what is usually referred to as crowd sim. So they asked what was simulated, big deal. I for one was looking forward to goodlooking LW simulated crowds (since that has not been done often), so I was a bit dissapointed the crowd isn't even moving an inch.

*Pete*
08-13-2010, 07:02 AM

yeah...we are special :D

anyway...my impression of crowd simulation is that it includes AI..that the object will self recognice objects, doors for example, and enter into open-door-animation when they get close to one, or jump out of the way of a speeding car.

still, i have absolutely no problem to call a HD instanced set of animated people for "crowd simulation"...either way, i wouldnt be able to spot the difference in this video...

so, lovely video...it fitted the themesong perfectly, those guys are incredibly talented.:thumbsup:

Iain
08-13-2010, 09:02 AM
so, lovely video...it fitted the themesong perfectly, those guys are incredibly talented.:thumbsup:

Yep, if only they understood the true definition of cro-......oh forget it!

Nicolas Jordan
08-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Most of it looked pretty good especially the crowd scenes at the end. The part that really bugged me was the shots showing the surrounding city and buildings had some building that were nothing more than boxes with no windows or any detail but yet some of the buildings the same distance away had detail like windows etc. Maybe they ran out of time on parts of the project and ended up focusing more on the crowd scenes instead. Still overall pretty impressive.

Larry_g1s
08-13-2010, 02:06 PM
...those guys are incredibly talented.:thumbsup::agree: wholeheartedly!!! Very nice vid., thanks for posting Iain.

archijam
08-14-2010, 03:49 AM
I notice that they are adding a very skilled VRay'er to their team too:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6152293&id=208381847432

Found the tutorial for the same project. Very nice:

http://www.evermotion.org/tutorials/show/7960/making-of-kumu-art-museum-of-estonia

A great addition to MiR's team indeed.

Cageman
08-14-2010, 04:28 AM

Well, we are a huge can of surprises :)... Especially when crowd simulation is used to describe something that in reality is animation offseted instancing; technically speaking, it is a huge difference. There have been plenty of threads here on the forum where people have debated and shared ideas on crowd behaviours and how one can achive that in LW. The truth is, even flocking behaviours are hard to achive within LW, but doable. So, granted is that many will look at this video and wonder where the simulation is, becase all we can see is instancing. :)

For simulating crowds and behaviours: http://www.massivesoftware.com/

However, I've seen an overuse of Massive where this very expensive and hard to use software have been used in similar contexts of what HDI in LW can do very, very easily, for a lot less money. But alas, HDIs animation offset feature is quite unique if you look at the native instancing that is avaliable in other apps.

Anyho...

Since we are on a forum where technical definitions are important, I thought it was important to point out that for crowd simulations, there needs to be some form of AI to simulate a result based on a set of rules. One can argue that using a particle simulation and then add instances to it would be a crowd simulation, but since particles do not have any form of AI, it would fall into the realms of flocking behaviors. Simulation or not, in order to render the stuff, instancing is most likely the only way to do it.

But hey... I'm picky about it... :)

Iain
08-14-2010, 05:04 AM
Thanks for that Cageman.
I'll send Mir an email. I'm sure they'll be suitably embarrassed.

Cageman
08-14-2010, 05:18 AM
Thanks for that Cageman.

No worries. :)

But you owe me a beer though!

:D

Hieron
08-14-2010, 05:18 AM
I still think it is interesting how they conveyed a nice visualisation of a crowd, without moving any one of the people in it! First they got flags, then moving camera and photoflash to hide it. Well done there.