PDA

View Full Version : Bending Drill

kolby
08-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Hi boys, I need make a rotating drill with cyclic movement in Y axis and deformed along curve. I`m try to use Curve Conform and it works as I expect, but it is highly inaccurate. (see pic)
Is there any better solution or some plugin ?
Maybe I`m using wrong setings or setup ? (check attached scene)

Danner
08-11-2010, 09:26 AM
spline control?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy_UmRFEoy4

Danner
08-11-2010, 09:56 AM
just tested it.. It won't work for your particular situation.. But it can be useful if you use splinecontrol to modify a curve, that modifies your drill bit. That way you can tweak the curve in layout till you get the desired result.

kolby
08-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Yes I tested it too, but it is not good as I need.

WilliamVaughan
08-11-2010, 10:25 AM
try morphing along a bone chain ...

I have a video showinghow to do it on the LW site

Danner
08-11-2010, 10:44 AM
I thoutht about bones too, but he wants the thing to rotate on the Y axis while it is being deformed. I guess it's doable if the bones could be somehow tamed to rotate on their own axis while keeping the relative shape. (hard to explain but I think you get the idea)

kolby
08-11-2010, 10:54 AM
I try also Trailer plugin, it perfectly deform with rotation, but it is based on motion path so is unusable for my situation.

Vagrants
08-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Shift Spline Transform?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aozfc57R4WA

Because I am a mac waver, I can not test it...

Nangleator
08-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Bone chain. Done things like this a lot.

kolby
08-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Shift Spline Transform?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aozfc57R4WA

Because I am a mac waver, I can not test it...

Just tested it. Nice plugin, but this is only better Spline Control and works same way like classic Spline Control.
I need something like Trailer, but based on curve.

Vagrants
08-12-2010, 03:38 AM
OK. Let's go simply.

Node displacement and bone chain.

Mr Rid
08-12-2010, 05:01 AM
Use a chain of bones to bend the drill. As mentioned, a morph can be used to move the drill along the curve if needed. Example scene here-
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=844966&postcount=13

To rotate drill-

Clone drill, 'Clear All Bones' in the clone's Bone Properties, and in 'Use Bones From Object' select the first drill. Bones from the first drill will deform the non-boned clone.

Make first drill unseen (uncheck in Scene Editor). The clone is free to rotate without rotating bones.

------------------------

I tried something different for the hell of it. Here, the drill is not rotating, but rather a normal displacement map is instead.

dogbite
08-12-2010, 06:17 AM
dentist presentation i see, done those before.

you could also scan an mdd of the drill spining without bone deformations, just one spin could do it.

then apply the spin in an mdd reader and make sure it has KEY-MOVE on.
make sure it has repeat.

then take the bones and rotate as you please, works like a charm.

kolby
08-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Yes, is it a dentist presentation. :)
I have over 30 different drills to show in different situations, paths, drilling depths, rot. speeds and so on, so I`am looking for simplest solution as possible.

edit: Big problem is maintain drill inside dental channel. The deformations must perfectly fit drill`s motion path.

dwburman
08-12-2010, 10:57 AM
One of my thoughts was a rotating texture map on a bone chain, but Mr. Rid already one-upped me on that by animating a displacement map. :)

My other thought, and this some something I've never tried, was to make an object sequence of the bit spinning.

If you're not moving the camera in 3D and you have some compositing software, you could render an image sequence of the bit spinning in LW and warp the image into the desired shape in the compositing app.

kolby
08-12-2010, 12:24 PM
No, camera is not static. Moreover, the drill in the image and scene I posted is only test object. In reality, they have very special cutting edges. I don`t know how to reproduce this shapes with any kind of maps.

WilliamVaughan
08-12-2010, 01:00 PM
This is going to sound crazy but one way I have done it in the past is to use the Morph along a bone chain technique with an object sequence.

In the case of a drill you would only need a handful of objects to pull this off.

Each object in the sequence would be spun a given degree and each object would would use the Morph trick. using object dissolve you could swap out each object over time and it would appear as if one drill was rotating and bending at the same time.

This worked for me on some oils and gas drilling animation ten years ago.

seems like a lot of work but once you set up one you can copy the channels for newer drills.
:thumbsup:

ericsmith
08-12-2010, 02:07 PM
To rotate drill-

Clone drill, 'Clear All Bones' in the clone's Bone Properties, and in 'Use Bones From Object' select the first drill. Bones from the first drill will deform the non-boned clone.

Make first drill unseen (uncheck in Scene Editor). The clone is free to rotate without rotating bones.

Interesting idea, but unfortunately it doesn't work. As soon as you rotate the cloned drill, it spins away from the bone chain. The two items have to have the same position/rotation/scale values in order for "use bones from object" to work properly.

The easiest way to do this is a modified version of Proton's "morph along bone chain" technique. This is probably best accomplished using skelegons to create the bones, and then converting in Layout.

Create a morph on the drill moving it straight up or down.

Set up a skeletal chain in the same layer as your file meant to bend into the shape of the root. Call each bone something like bend1, bend2, etc.

Copy the chain into a new layer, and rename the new bones rot1, rot2, etc. and then cut and paste the bones back into the original layer

After converting skelegons to bones in layout, parent each rot bone to it's corresponding bend bone (ie. rot1 parented to bend1, rot2 parented to bend2, etc.), and then make all of the bend bones inactive.

Create a null called "RotateControl" to control rotation of the drill, and create an expression tied to the rotation of the null:

[RotateControl.Rotation.H]

and apply the expression to the bank channel of all of the rot bones. At this point, you'll want to hide and lock all the rot bones.

Now you can align the bend bones to the shape you want with the drill all the way into the root. Use the morph to move the drill in and out, and rotate the control null to make it spin.

You can easily apply this rig to a new drill by just replacing the mesh object in layout.

Eric

WilliamVaughan
08-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Interesting idea, but unfortunately it doesn't work. As soon as you rotate the cloned drill, it spins away from the bone chain. The two items have to have the same position/rotation/scale values in order for "use bones from object" to work properly.

The easiest way to do this is a modified version of Proton's "morph along bone chain" technique. This is probably best accomplished using skelegons to create the bones, and then converting in Layout.

Create a morph on the drill moving it straight up or down.

Set up a skeletal chain in the same layer as your file meant to bend into the shape of the root. Call each bone something like bend1, bend2, etc.

Copy the chain into a new layer, and rename the new bones rot1, rot2, etc. and then cut and paste the bones back into the original layer

After converting skelegons to bones in layout, parent each rot bone to it's corresponding bend bone (ie. rot1 parented to bend1, rot2 parented to bend2, etc.), and then make all of the bend bones inactive.

Create a null called "RotateControl" to control rotation of the drill, and create an expression tied to the rotation of the null:

[RotateControl.Rotation.H]

and apply the expression to the bank channel of all of the rot bones. At this point, you'll want to hide and lock all the rot bones.

Now you can align the bend bones to the shape you want with the drill all the way into the root. Use the morph to move the drill in and out, and rotate the control null to make it spin.

You can easily apply this rig to a new drill by just replacing the mesh object in layout.

Eric

Smart setup!....very smart!

kolby
08-13-2010, 10:11 AM
OK boys, I have some news for you.
Bad news is, that I try setups you posted here and they don`t work for me. Problem is evidently between my keyboard and my chair, not at your side. :D
Good news is, that I have now perfect solution for this kind of animations. Fl`s BezierBend. Nice deformation along curve with rotation. No bones, no morphs, no scripts. Just keyframing movement and rotation. And it`s free !

Big thanks for your posts, because I learnt some new things about morphs and bones :thumbsup:
Oh, and sorry for my terrible english.

nemac4
08-13-2010, 10:28 AM
If you spend a little on a plug-in, this might work for you:

http://www.worley.com/E/Products/taft/hoser.html

RebelHill
08-13-2010, 10:53 AM
I suspect PLG curve bone couldve done this too... glad the bezier bend worked out though.