PDA

View Full Version : Problems Managing lightwave presets under windows 7 64 bit

prometheus
08-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Well finally we got a new machine at work with 64 bit and windows 7.

Thereīs been a couple of problems managing lightwave surface presets,for a starter I couldnīt create a library, I got an indication that it was locked with an icon next to the library name, that was resolved by running lightwave as administrator.

Next was that I couldnīt save presets even running as an administrator, I
resolved that by browsing to the newtek lighwave folder and under properties making sure I had all rights to do changes in those folders and voila, I could now save the presets.

Then I noticed that in the surface preset panel thereīs now two sets of the same libraries, the first one under built in and the second one under custom they are all identical.
Not sure why this accoured, maybe windows 7 redirects and copy files to
app data local, somewhere?

that was a problem I had when I was trying to manually copy presets in windows vista, I couldnīt find them in the programs/presets folder since they were redirected to users/app data/local store.

newtek not to blame..they didnīt throw out windows vista.

:grumpy:

Michael

panphoto
01-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Hi Prometheus,

I have the same problem with a padlocked preset shelf, but I don't know how to run LW as an administrator. Please can you help?

David

Amurrell
01-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Right click on the icon and select "Run as Administrator". I wish we didn't have to do this all the time. This setting permissions stuff in Windows is smart and dumb at the same time. I suppose you could just disable the UAC all together though.

wrench
01-17-2011, 03:32 PM
I haven't taken the time to check this but I am assuming that this problem is caused by the fact that by default Windows (Vista|7) allows no user interaction with the Program Files directory, plus you have a thing called the "VirtualStore" which makes a link from your user dir where elements are duplicated, hence having two sets of presets? The answer is, and always has been, to install LightWave to C:\NewTek... not C:\Program Files\NewTek...

B

funk
01-17-2011, 04:10 PM
From my tests, this has nothing to do with installing in c:\program files or admin permissions... I'm installed on a separate drive and still see the lock. They changed the way it works in lw10 for some reason.

My solution: I created a "global presets" (eg: c:\newtek\globalpresets\) so I could share it with lw9 and 10. Go to preferences > paths in layout and set PRESETS to the folder you created.

Now you'll see 2 categories in the preset manager drop down menu (built-in and custom). Choose custom and everything will work the way it did before.

prometheus
01-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Ohh I missed the replies from you, missed the mail sent out.

Anyway, as mentioned above, If Anybody has a lock on the presets, Make sure to edit paths options and set your preset directory.

for setting lightwave to run as administrator, well I Have disabled that for lightwave because otherwise I get these security promtīs each time loading lightwave on windows 7, and I have no issues to run lightwave, In the shortcut Icon for lightwave, under the compabilities tab you have the priviliege level,( run this program as administrator) that needs to be unchecked in order to do so, I beleive windows sets most programs by default to run as administrator, not sure thou.

Thanks for the replies.

Michael