PDA

View Full Version : windows vista search function, donīt do subfolder searches properly.

prometheus
08-09-2010, 03:28 AM
Whatīs up with the vista search function, when I try to search files or folders it doesnīt recognize subfolders deeper than one level.
Ivé checked options for the search tool and the search subfolders is checked.

Michael

prometheus
08-09-2010, 04:53 AM
use agent ransack, free program. awesome search tool

Thanks, Im gonna check that out.

meanwhile, I downloaded locate32, also free and it helped me find the files,
initially you need to scan and index your files before any search can be done thou, after that it will locate files much faster than vista.
http://locate32.net/content/view/18/31/

I suspect vista might not recognize searches correctly sometimes, and that might have to do with the option of having indexed the files or not.
I would prefer not indexing files thou, since I beleive it slows down most
programs when having the index service on.

strange anyway, if I browse to the lightwave folder and do a search for
presets, it couldnīt find any folder at that level,but if I browse to the program folder and do a search, then it could find the nearest subfolder.

I just hate many of the browsing and search changes they made from xp to vista..

Michael

Myagi
08-09-2010, 06:41 AM
use agent ransack, free program. awesome search tool

Cheers! I've been meaning to find some search replacement for win7, this seems to be exactly what I would have wished for.

It was really getting on my nerves that I can't search file contents (without enabling it globally), because MS tought the universe would implode if they left in the old XP/2k search app aswell as the new per window toolbar thingy.

Hopper
08-09-2010, 03:31 PM
If your more comfortable with Un*x style OS's...

grep for windows. It never fails.

http://www.wingrep.com/

prometheus
08-10-2010, 01:17 AM
I just checked and I have no problems resolving searches no matter where I search from and no matter at what directory depth the target is located.

I have indexing disabled for all drives and search set to not use the index. Vista x64 SP2.

I actually rarely use the search function. But if you use search regularly something like agent ransack is probably preferable due to the extended options.

Alright then, I guess I have to go through the setting in the advanced search options, might have missed something.

I did test ransack, and it worked splendid, even better than locate32.

so I found my files, I was looking for my presets files that werenīt in the
presets folder, instead they were redirected to users/data app/local virtual store or something.

Give me back windows 2000:jam:
Michael