PDA

View Full Version : Dishonesty

AmigaUser
08-08-2010, 10:30 PM
I don't know if this the right place to post this, but think it needs to be put out their for the people of NewTek.

Some may remember the Amiga Video Toaster which was sort of the beginning of what NewTek has become. At some point the Amiga faded into history and NewTek moved to mainstream PC hardware.

A few years ago NewTek was nice enough to release the source code to all the original software for the Amiga. The Amiga community hopes to port the software to newer versions of the Amiga operating system. This was a very nice gesture from NewTek.

The project is called Open Video Toaster (http://www.openvideotoaster.org/)

The project and website is run by a company named Discreetfx (http://www.discreetfx.com/).

Why I am writing this is that Discreetfx is now selling this source code that was given to the Amiga community. Yes, ou can download the separate pieces for free from the site. However they have a ISO (not a disc just the ISO) that originally they were selling for $9.95 (download not a disc) but recently started charging $19.95 to download this ISO.

While I think it is fine to recover the costs of providing open source material, such as disc costs or bandwidth, I sadly think that $19.95 for an ISO download is dishonest.

I don't really think NewTek intended the sources to be released and then for a company like this to charge $20 a download.

Just frustrated and thought I'd vent a little.

DiscreetFX
08-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Wow it bothers you that much you created an account here to post your one message? Any donations of $19.95 which have been none so far go to the general pool to get the source code updated for MorphOS, AROS & Amiga OS 4.x. Guess how much we make on this open source effort? That's right $0. The bonus ISO does not contain any special core source code. It's already on the site as a free download.

AmigaUser
08-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Wow it bothers you that much you created an account here to post your one message? Any donations of $19.95 which have been none so far go to the general pool

Yeah it does bother me that much. You say it's just donations that go to bounties.

Yet you make news posts saying that "Sadly we have to raise the price" and when asked why you "have" to raise the price you won't tell anybody. Then change your story to, oh it just goes to bounties.

Then why do you have to raise the price?

DiscreetFX
08-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Your welcome to believe anything you like. We have hosted the source code for over six years and we have donated over $2000 to these bounties in 2009.

AmigaUser
08-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Your welcome to believe anything you like. We have hosted the source code for over six years and we have donated over $2000 to these bounties in 2009.

Well, it's nothing against you personally. I'm not saying you haven't done a lot toward the project and maybe the sole reason it exists at all. But I still feel it's not honest to charge for NewTek's source code.

Why you said you were "forced" to raise the price I guess will never be known.

inquisitive
08-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Several companies in the past have sold CD/DVD of various Linux distributions, you are paying not for the software itself but for the effort to package the sets.

From what I can tell DiscreetFX is doing the same thing.

jcupp
08-10-2010, 02:45 PM
No good deed...

Jim M
08-10-2010, 03:27 PM
People have their options....